Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 29, 19, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Platinum, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
No winning with those guys sometimes- if they get snarky because you followed the rules, their problem. Id prefer that anytime to the chastising Id get for NOT following them.
Boraxo and chollie like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
I just reply "thank you for letting me know" (and will go on continuing to declare it).
I never thank people when I don't mean it.

For those who insist on declaring absolutely everything that can be remotely classified as food, then get told your food is a waste of time to declare, I suggest a reply of either:
  • "I understand, Officer; the form just says 'food'" or, if pressed for time, simply,
  • "Okay."
Xyzzy, Boraxo and drewguy like this.

Last edited by davie355; Jan 29, 19 at 6:34 pm
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
Has anyone asked some official CBP source, for example, through their web site, for clarification of the policy on whether packaged snack food counts as food?
If so, what was the response?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29687593-post767.html

i think it's clear?
Xyzzy, richarddd and LCUF like this.
Old Jan 30, 19, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
"You must declare all food products. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

"The following are generally admissible:
"- Candy and chocolate"

Which means they need to do a better job of educating their agents, many of whom don't appear to know this rule.
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
I travel with my dog - a legitimate trained service animal. I never know whether to check animal or not?
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Gadot View Post
I travel with my dog - a legitimate trained service animal. I never know whether to check animal or not?
It's always better to declare and let the inspector decide from there - assuming you keep your doggie's health documents from their doctor and the service animal documents with you, I can't see there being any problem
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why is a service dog a food question (unless you're entering certain Asian countries--just joking)? Do you mean the dog itself or whatever dog food you're bringing with you?

I would expect that any animal would need to be declared, and possibly have documents checked, pass a vet exam, or even put into quarantine. Animals are usually handled through the agriculture department even if they're not farm animals. Some countries would exempt genuine trained (and documented) service animals from some of these requirements, while other places would probably take the attitude of "well, it's an animal, isn't it?" and expect compliance with all of the regulations.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Why is a service dog a food question (unless you're entering certain Asian countries--just joking)? Do you mean the dog itself or whatever dog food you're bringing with you?
This thread is about customs declarations and food questions.
Old May 16, 19, 1:40 am

I have some souvenir chocolates from Europe and am flying home AMS-YYZ-LAX on AC. Will I be doing my global entry screening at YYZ or after I land back at lax?

Based on on this thread, Ill definitlry declare the candy. But Im concerned that GE screeners in canada might not be so fast to waive me through as they are at US airports. Only have a 2 hour connection time, so Id obviously prefer to avoid secondary X-rays, etc

Thanks.
Old May 16, 19, 2:22 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
I have some souvenir chocolates from Europe and am flying home AMS-YYZ-LAX on AC. Will I be doing my global entry screening at YYZ or after I land back at lax?

Based on on this thread, Ill definitlry declare the candy. But Im concerned that GE screeners in canada might not be so fast to waive me through as they are at US airports. Only have a 2 hour connection time, so Id obviously prefer to avoid secondary X-rays, etc

Thanks.
You will have preclearance at YYZ. See YYZ / Toronto Pearson Customs Preclearance to USA

Dont be concerned with X-ray inspection. Unlikely, but very quick every time it has happened to me at various airports.
Old May 16, 19, 8:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Note

The Global Entry experience at YYZ is discussed in the following Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers thread:
PreClearance and Global Entry at YYZ
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 16, 19, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post

Based on on this thread, Ill definitely declare the candy. But Im concerned that GE screeners in canada might not be so fast to waive me through as they are at US airports. Only have a 2 hour connection time, so Id obviously prefer to avoid secondary X-rays, etc

Thanks.
1. declare the candy
2. at the booth show your GE slip with the inspection "X" and just tell them it's candy or cookies or whatever (you will need to stop there before exiting customs - you will know it when you see it)
3. inspector at the booth will check passport, stamp the GE slip and wave you through
4. inspector at exit will collect the slip and wave you through - although sometimes they are not there and the slip will be collected at the booth
5. don't worry about the process at all
Old May 16, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
2. at the booth show your GE slip with the inspection "X" ...
Unless something has recently changed, it will be an “O,” rather than an “X.”

Last edited by TWA884; May 16, 19 at 5:16 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old May 23, 19, 10:18 am

I'm back to follow up on this.... I was all ready to declare my souvenir chocolate at the GE kiosk, but I think I missed something. I saw a food question, but I think it read something like "Are you bringing in Meat products" So I clicked NO.

I don't recall seeing a question about ALL food, or any food, just meat. Granted, we were rushed and racing to catch a connection, so I might have missed something. But I didn't see anywhere where I was supposed to declare any and all food. The agent didn't ask either...just took my printout and waved me through. So wherre in the process was I supposed to declare the candy I brought back?
Old May 23, 19, 10:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
The word food is buried in the plants/meat question in GE kiosk.
drewguy likes this.

Search this Thread