Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 5, 18, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about the Global Entry not the APC kiosks declarations.

For indexing and future search purposes, if you wish to discuss the wording of the APC kiosks declaration questions, the following is the appropriate thread for that subject:
US CBP Automated Passport Control
To compare the wordings of the questions between the GE and the APC kiosks, please go to this thread:
Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC
Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
That is immaterial. The same declaration rules apply to all travelers.
The rule that applies is "honestly and correctly answer the question that is asked." The question that is asked differs from machine to machine.

The Global Entry machines at YUL yesterday had different questions, including the word "food".
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 12:56 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Should you google image search for the APC kiosks, you will see this:

these are the "foods" that should be declared, no others.
I used the GE kiosk at LAX TBIT yesterday and this is the language I saw -- I was bringing in some aged Dutch cheese so I checked yes. I also had some Düsseldorf mustard and some Belgian chocolates so I mentioned them as well. Got eye rolls from the two agents but was sent thru without issue.

Added: This was my first entry since being approved for NEXUS (had GE for 6-7 years) and there wasn't any change that I could see. People said this would be the case but it was nice to confirm it.

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Oct 26, 18 at 1:00 pm Reason: Added info
Old Oct 26, 18, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
I always check no.

Yesterday, I had a companion traveling with me back to the US. We had brought back some snack items after two weeks abroad. No checked luggages.

I asked the companion to check the 3rd question as yes. CBP agent really didn't want to be bothered with, and asked us to go through.
Old Oct 26, 18, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
The rule that applies is "honestly and correctly answer the question that is asked."
We should all be committed to answering honestly, correctly, and seriously but not literally.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Skymiles
Yesterday, I precleared at SNN. I skipped the GE kiosks though, because there was zero wait at the booths and I also never saw a landing card.

All I was asked is if I had any fruits, vegetables, or meat, then was stamped and waved through.
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
I came home with four cans of spam.

I declared yes on food/meat product and the CBP officer waved me through after checking that they were spams - with no secondary.
Old Jan 1, 19, 10:05 am

I'll be returning through DFW on Saturday. I'll have snacks, 5 boxes of chocolate (three people in the family), a small bottle of vodka, and a bottle of wine.
I'll answer YES when the food question comes up - I assume alcohol is in the same category, right?

Does anyone have experience doing this when going through DFW?
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:13 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by CHRACATOA View Post
I'll be returning through DFW on Saturday. I'll have snacks, 5 boxes of chocolate (three people in the family), a small bottle of vodka, and a bottle of wine.
I'll answer YES when the food question comes up - I assume alcohol is in the same category, right?

Welcome to FT!

Just declare everything and you willl have no problem. We went through DFW about a year ago. No problem. BTW, I typically prepare a handwritten list of foods I am carrying. I prepare this list (distinguished by what I am importing vs just returning having purchased in US) before I am tired/jetlagged as a way of making sure I do not inadvertently forget to declare something. I just hand the list to the CPB agent. They glance at it, maybe ask a question, they say "Welcome Home."
abaheti and CHRACATOA like this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:37 pm

Thanks. It seems that everybody here (family abroad) is gifting us chocolates, cookies, and candies. Plus the kids are buying gifts for their friends, and the gifts are, for the most part, chocolate, cookies, and candies.

Luckily, we only got two alcoholic beverages to take with us.
Old Jan 3, 19, 12:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by LCUF View Post
In addition, I was using GE kiosk and delcared food, and the immigration official grilled me and asked me what I need to declare since I answered food as what I have always done before, no automatic wave like before. He even said I should always have a written I-94 ready in case the GE kiosks weren't working. Looks like they are doing both immigration and customs duties now, and the attitude this time was horrible, but I wasn't going to argue my way out so I just said I will keep that in mind next time.

I don't know what to think of SFO now.
I think I got this guy's cousin when I went through two weeks ago. Nothing about a I-94 but told me after declaring the candy, chocolate, cookies that I didn't need to declare those and it just slows me down by giving the O. Then for the exceded personal exemption question, he said beer and wine (3L) didn't matter for alcoholic beverages only liquor (which I was still over).
LCUF likes this.
Old Jan 6, 19, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post

I think I got this guy's cousin when I went through two weeks ago. Nothing about a I-94 but told me after declaring the candy, chocolate, cookies that I didn't need to declare those and it just slows me down by giving the O. Then for the exceded personal exemption question, he said beer and wine (3L) didn't matter for alcoholic beverages only liquor (which I was still over).
I don't really get the attitude of these guys here. In other countries, at least in Asia, your CBP officers are pretty much desk workers. At the risk of sounding very "profiling", let me just say that there's little or any difference in resemblance in appearance of typical CBP workers in Asia (China, Japan, Hong Kong, etc.) compared to typical office workers. It's an administrative job pretty much.

Yet in the US they're treated much like police officers walking the street with a total attitude problem. I think we need to hire better. If CBP agents are manning the southern border wall, sure we probably need more physical strength. But for people manning airport desks? Maybe we should get people who are better at desk jobs and don't have attitude problems like they need to go tackle someone.

I rarely run into any issues with CBP, but the times I have, the attitude is ridiculous, and its just for basic administrative tasks like being in the wrong line or wanting to send up someone in another line first due to priority over another line.
Boraxo and samosa like this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by CHRACATOA View Post

You are allowed 1L of alcohol duty free. Technically you are bringing back goods in excess of the duty free limit, not food, when bringing alcohol, which is a question separate from the one about food (same if you had goods valued at more than $800/person).

That said, tick the box or boxes and then explain to the CBP officer either way.
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
one more food data point

At SFO on Sat the question definitely said "food" as one of the options. As we had chocolate, coffee and dried fruit, we said YES and were referred to baggage control. However as we left the kiosk and presented the form to the agent, he asked us about food and we responded as above. He said (in a very friendly manner I might add) that we were fine and he took our forms.
In prior visits we were chastised for wasting time.
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
At SFO on Sat the question definitely said "food" as one of the options.
Same experience for me at SEA a week ago.

Search this Thread