Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 6, 18, 3:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 1, 18, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Thr word food have been on GE kiosks for 2-3 years if not more. Seems like the posts on this thread is just repeating points made earlier.
drewguy, TWA884 and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Thr word food have been on GE kiosks for 2-3 years if not more. Seems like the posts on this thread is just repeating points made earlier.
It's called beating a dead horse. If you have one of those you should answer the kiosk question with a "yes".

Given that the maximum penalty is $60,000 per violation (not that it is routinely imposed) along with GE revocation, the number of people who think it's fun to play too cute is interesting.
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:14 pm

I'm new to GE and have yet to use the GE kiosks.

However I've used the APC kiosks several times (primarily at YVR) and to the best of my recollection the list does not contain the generic term "food" but very specific categories of food such as meats, fruit etc.

So I'm finding it interesting that the GE kiosks are like the blue forms in that regard.
Old Sep 1, 18, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by blue_can View Post
So I'm finding it interesting that the GE kiosks are like the blue forms in that regard.
The problem is that the kiosks combine the many questions on the blue form into 4 questions on the GE kiosk, including the catch all agricultural question with food in the wording. Having never used the APC or mobile passport app, I don't know how many questions there are for those processes.
Old Sep 1, 18, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
There is one potential issue with this approach. What happens if the CBP Officer at the exit point asks, "Do you have any food." You say yes, Officer says how come it's not declared, you say it's chocolate and the screen didn't mention it -- if the Officer really has it out for you, you may be lost, as there is plenty of written verbiage indicating "all food" requires declaration.

I maintain my position that dry/packaged goods aren't in the spirit of "food." This is only my personal position (although obviously also the position of many frontline officers).
If dry packaged goods are required to follow the legal requirements for food packaging in the US it is a good sign that the product would be considered food by CBP.

I am not sure what the “spirit of food” means. Dry packaged goods can certainly have insect infestations and could be problematic.
Old Sep 2, 18, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
In SFO they still say “food”.

I declared something just last week. I barely got to say “candy and snacks” before the agent said “welcome home” and waved us along (the new system without the agent after baggage claim).
Old Sep 2, 18, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
(sigh).

It doesn't matter if the kiosk includes the word 'food' or not.

The RULES require you to declare ALL foods.

Unlike 'ordinary' travelers who might confuse 'declaration' with 'allowed', GE members are expected to know the rules. The rules say that you DECLARE all foods, even if you know (or think you do) that they are allowed.

Yeah, the odds of getting busted for not declaring a box of candy and getting caught are pretty slim, but there are some zero tolerance agents out there. Folks coming to this forum for advice need to realize that the RULES require you to declare everything. It's a personal decision whether or not you want to risk your TT privilege by taking a chance.
ESpen36, 1KChinito, HkCaGu and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:08 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Originally Posted by polarbears View Post

I declared something just last week. I barely got to say “candy and snacks” before the agent said “welcome home” and waved us along (the new system without the agent after baggage claim).
Had similar experience at LAX a few weeks ago. Walked up with the big mark on my form, he didn't even ask, I didn't get a chance to say anything, just looked at us and waived us thru.
Old Sep 27, 18, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by polarbears View Post

Looked like SFO changed the immigration and customs flow somewhat (at least for international terminal G arrival). You no longer have to hand over the declaration form before exiting the customs after luggage carousels.

In addition, I was using GE kiosk and delcared food, and the immigration official grilled me and asked me what I need to declare since I answered food as what I have always done before, no automatic wave like before. He even said I should always have a written I-94 ready in case the GE kiosks weren't working. Looks like they are doing both immigration and customs duties now, and the attitude this time was horrible, but I wasn't going to argue my way out so I just said I will keep that in mind next time.

I don't know what to think of SFO now.
Old Sep 27, 18, 7:16 am

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
I always declare my food - whether its chocolate, cookies, spices or cheese. Every time i bring cheese they ask me if I have brought in meat. I never bring meat, but I think they just associate meat with cheese. I do pad my schedule knowing that 30% of the time I'll have to go through secondary inspection of my bag.
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by LCUF View Post
Looked like SFO changed the immigration and customs flow somewhat (at least for international terminal G arrival). You no longer have to hand over the declaration form before exiting the customs after luggage carousels.

In addition, I was using GE kiosk and delcared food, and the immigration official grilled me and asked me what I need to declare since I answered food as what I have always done before, no automatic wave like before. He even said I should always have a written I-94 ready in case the GE kiosks weren't working. Looks like they are doing both immigration and customs duties now, and the attitude this time was horrible, but I wasn't going to argue my way out so I just said I will keep that in mind next time.

I don't know what to think of SFO now.
Thank you for sharing. Currently there are seven U.S. airports have unified immigration/customs screening. SFO is one of them.

Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening
Old Sep 27, 18, 10:25 am

I'm a new GE member and used GE for the first time at YVR pre-clearance yesterday. Sure enough the term "food" was present on the list of food items. As suggested by other here I declared the food and got a big circle on the slip. I was carrying snacks. The officer briefly asked what food I was carrying. I explained and that was it. Added no more than about 5 secs to the process.
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by LCUF View Post

In addition, I was using GE kiosk and delcared food, and the immigration official grilled me and asked me what I need to declare since I answered food as what I have always done before, no automatic wave like before. He even said I should always have a written I-94 ready in case the GE kiosks weren't working.
First, did the officer specifically say I-94? The written I-94 went away 5 years ago and was an arrival/departure record, nothing to do with customs. I don't prepare a customs form just in case. I've only had one instance of the kiosks being down, and I filled out the form on the spot in front of the officer without issue.
Old Sep 27, 18, 9:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Returned through DEN from NRT a couple of weeks ago. Selected "yes" for food, got the circle on the form, and when I presented it to the customs officer I said "I just have some candies and snacks." He said "thank you for declaring" and waved me through.
Old Sep 28, 18, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Majuki View Post
First, did the officer specifically say I-94? The written I-94 went away 5 years ago and was an arrival/departure record, nothing to do with customs. I don't prepare a customs form just in case. I've only had one instance of the kiosks being down, and I filled out the form on the spot in front of the officer without issue.
Yes, the officer specifically said I-94, probably for immigration not customs, like you said, arrival/departure records. The flight attendants were still handling them out for visitors. He was saying that if the GE kiosks were all down and I hadn't filled out one I would be waiting at the back of the lines for the regular lines instead of the GE lines. Trying to teach me a lesson I guess, and with that attitude he was showing, I probably wouldn't be able to fill that out on the spot anyway. YMMV?

Search this Thread