Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by polarbears
I haven't traveled internationally much the last months and haven't declared anything since they changed the immigration/customs process in SFO. When I came back from a trip in June they took my global entry receipt rather than handing it to the second customs persons when walking out.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
I mean that is exactly what I'm trying to say, and I am not CBP.

How long until somebody gets GE revoked for "silly over-declaration of goods"? I presume GE can be revoked for any reason. Wasting the time of Officers and other travelers is not a great thing.
Are you missing a smiley, or were you being serious? That's ridiculous. It's not wasting anyone's time. It's simply complying with another ridiculous piece of security theater in order to avoid a huge waste of time over a cookie or some chewing gum.
And most CBPs understand this and wave you on through. But you catch that one guy who got served divorce papers this morning and who has absolutely no constraints on his anger driven whims, and you give him even the most innocuous reason to take his frustrations out on you and you end up getting anything from a fine and GE revocation <redacted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 19, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: Commentary/opinion better left for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum and/or OMNI/PR
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by squeakr
We just encountered this yesterday - As the questionnaire on the global entry kiosk just asks about food, we said yes even though our only food was jam and some cookies. We presented the slip to the officer told him what food we had and he waved us on our merry way.

However, at times we have returned to SFO, the agents have told us it was silly to say we had food for things like this. But we never want to take that chance.
This is why I have marked no to all questions since receiving GE membership. I travel with carry-on only, and I am not going to declare chewing gum I purchased in the US upon reentry to slow down everyone.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:07 am

Process at SFO seems to have changed. Arrived yesterday from TPE and the officer collecting the GE printout slip (which will be annotated with O if you indicate food) was stationed at the CBP booth line, just after the GE kiosks. Normally the officer collecting the slip is stationed past the baggage caruosels right before the ag xrays. I indicated food (the usual duty free cookies and such) and was waved on. No ag xray this time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jashsu
Process at SFO seems to have changed. Arrived yesterday from TPE and the officer collecting the GE printout slip (which will be annotated with O if you indicate food) was stationed at the CBP booth line, just after the GE kiosks. Normally the officer collecting the slip is stationed past the baggage caruosels right before the ag xrays. I indicated food (the usual duty free cookies and such) and was waved on. No ag xray this time.
That's the new unified screening procedure which is discussed in this thread:
jashsu likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
At some airports - e.g. MCO, CBP officers tell you to take a picture and you are done, eliminating passport/fingerprint scans and on-screen questions.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by davie355
I mean that is exactly what I'm trying to say, and I am not CBP.

How long until somebody gets GE revoked for "silly over-declaration of goods"? I presume GE can be revoked for any reason. Wasting the time of Officers and other travelers is not a great thing.
No one will have their GE revoked for over-declaring anything, that's really ridiculous - but they WILL have their GE revoked for not declaring food no matter how trivial the food actually is.
Xyzzy, drewguy and abaheti like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
And I would rather fight a GE revocation for over sharing food item information

Originally Posted by bocastephen
No one will have their GE revoked for over-declaring anything, that's really ridiculous - but they WILL have their GE revoked for not declaring food no matter how trivial the food actually is.
And I would rather fight a GE revocation for over sharing food item information - If I lose GE for not declaring my duty free cookies I’ve got no leg to stand on. But if I have it revoked because I provided too much information I think I’d have a legitimate gripe.
abaheti likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: free agent
I usually just put "YES" on foods because I tend to bring protein bars, nuts, etc with me during vacation and bring leftover ones back to US. I packed everything in a grocery plastic bag and open it for CBP agent, so far no issue.

I usually just walk to normal GE slip collection points (JFK, IAD, EWR is my primary arrival destination) with plastic bag. Sure it's little annoying to declare something that I BUY in USA but prefer be safe than sorry since I valued GE/TSA Pre big time.
abaheti likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Coming through PHL last month with chocolate and a lot of wine (over the limit on that), I checked yes on the food box. There was no one in secondary and they waved me on through when I didn't have clothes, watches, etc, while the regular customs line was backed up with no separate line for GE, so secondary was faster than not declaring it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
If you're GE, always answer yes. It takes two minutes more to tell the secondary agent about the chewing gum or breath mints or chocolate chip cookie you didn't eat on the plane. Even if they scan your bag, it takes less than five minutes total.
The general answer I have gotten from CBP agents is if you can put in your mouth, consider it "food."
I guess that means medicines are food? Is toothpaste/mouthwash food? If chewing gum is "food" I don't see why toothpaste isn't.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:05 pm

The CBP officer's definition of food does leave open to interpretation all kinds of items that would generally not be considered food.

My take on food would be something you can put in your mouth, ingest and has some sort of nutritional value. Maybe CBP ought to have a formal definition of food - that particular officer's interpretation makes several items that we would not typically consider food to be food.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I guess that means medicines are food? Is toothpaste/mouthwash food? If chewing gum is "food" I don't see why toothpaste isn't.
That's just being argumentative. I used a simplified, general definition, instead of some legalistic, "what the definition of is is" one. Is that what you want? 3 paragraphs on the screen to satisfy your definitional demands? 3 paragraphs that could change without notice, so every time you go through you've got to read it word for word? More pertinently, that every traveler in front of you gets to spend an extra 5 minutes reading it? Might as well just get in the regular line.
You know that toothpaste ain't food, so does CBP.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:25 pm

That's just being argumentative. I used a simplified, general definition, instead of some legalistic, "what the definition of is is" one. Is that what you want? 3 paragraphs on the screen to satisfy your definitional demands? 3 paragraphs that could change without notice, so every time you go through you've got to read it word for word? More pertinently, that every traveler in front of you gets to spend an extra 5 minutes reading it? Might as well just get in the regular line.
In that case, "anything you can put into your mouth" doesn't clarify anything.

You're just saying food is food.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'm not being argumentative -- you said you were given direction by CBP if you put it in your mouth it is food. If you say "of course that is not food" how am I to know and what logic to I apply. And I would argue that toothpaste and chewing gum are logically the same -- you put them in your mouth but you (generally) don't swallow them. If get dinged for one I should get dinged for the other. I guess we are at "I don't know what food is but I know it when I see it"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.