Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 18, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I am giving a different perspective that seems to have been underrepresented in this thread. Yes, it could lead to GE revocation, but it does not happen to enough people to be a legitimate concern.

Underage drinking, failing to pay use tax on internet purchases, and failing to declare potato chips to customs all could have serious consequences but are as American as baseball and apple pie. This does not mean you should do it, just that empirically many people do and nothing ever comes of it.

The facts should be laid bare, that's all.
Last time I looked, it was called the “Trusted Traveler Program.” YMMV
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Second Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational. Members come here to share experiences and offer practical advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs in order that they can travel with minimum hassle and maximum benefits.

Please limit your responses here to facts, experiences, data points and practical suggestions.

Opinion and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank your for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
I'll just add that political rants belong in OMNI/PR (access is limited to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and posted 180 messages).

Additional posts have been deleted.
Old Aug 19, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Yes, the agriculture scan is quick. BUT....what if you get stuck at the back of a huge line of other people waiting to be searched or scanned? You could be standing there waiting 45 minutes for your 10-second scan. I've seen lines that look very slow-moving at certain airports. Not worth it IMHO.
In SFO I've declared (chocolate, candy, cheese, etc) a bunch of times.

The few times there's been more than one or two groups waiting they've put me in a separate "global entry line" (with no people).

I haven't traveled internationally much the last months and haven't declared anything since they changed the immigration/customs process in SFO. When I came back from a trip in June they took my global entry receipt rather than handing it to the second customs persons when walking out.

I didn't have anything back with me, so I don't know what would have happened if I'd had a checked bag and something to declare. I read something about they'd fetch my bag? It does sound potentially more annoying.
Old Aug 19, 18, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If one has to ask whether something is "food" it is food. Playing too cute by half passive agressive games is what leads to rants in other threads about how some minor transgression led to a whopping fine or GE revocation or both. If GE isn't really important, also not worth the $100 plus all the time filling out the form and participating in the interview.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
We just encountered this yesterday

We just encountered this yesterday - As the questionnaire on the global entry kiosk just asks about food, we said yes even though our only food was jam and some cookies. We presented the slip to the officer told him what food we had and he waved us on our merry way.

However, at times we have returned to SFO, the agents have told us it was silly to say we had food for things like this. But we never want to take that chance.
TWA884 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
However, at times we have returned to SFO, the agents have told us it was silly to say we had food for things like this.
I mean that is exactly what I'm trying to say, and I am not CBP.

How long until somebody gets GE revoked for "silly over-declaration of goods"? I presume GE can be revoked for any reason. Wasting the time of Officers and other travelers is not a great thing.
Old Aug 19, 18, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by polarbears View Post
I haven't traveled internationally much the last months and haven't declared anything since they changed the immigration/customs process in SFO. When I came back from a trip in June they took my global entry receipt rather than handing it to the second customs persons when walking out.
Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening
Old Aug 19, 18, 4:19 pm

How long until somebody gets GE revoked for "silly over-declaration of goods"? I presume GE can be revoked for any reason. Wasting the time of Officers and other travelers is not a great thing.
Are you missing a smiley, or were you being serious? That's ridiculous. It's not wasting anyone's time. It's simply complying with another ridiculous piece of security theater in order to avoid a huge waste of time over a cookie or some chewing gum.
And most CBPs understand this and wave you on through. But you catch that one guy who got served divorce papers this morning and who has absolutely no constraints on his anger driven whims, and you give him even the most innocuous reason to take his frustrations out on you and you end up getting anything from a fine and GE revocation <redacted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 19, 18 at 4:44 pm Reason: Commentary/opinion better left for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum and/or OMNI/PR
Old Aug 19, 18, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
We just encountered this yesterday - As the questionnaire on the global entry kiosk just asks about food, we said yes even though our only food was jam and some cookies. We presented the slip to the officer told him what food we had and he waved us on our merry way.

However, at times we have returned to SFO, the agents have told us it was silly to say we had food for things like this. But we never want to take that chance.
This is why I have marked no to all questions since receiving GE membership. I travel with carry-on only, and I am not going to declare chewing gum I purchased in the US upon reentry to slow down everyone.
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:07 am

Process at SFO seems to have changed. Arrived yesterday from TPE and the officer collecting the GE printout slip (which will be annotated with O if you indicate food) was stationed at the CBP booth line, just after the GE kiosks. Normally the officer collecting the slip is stationed past the baggage caruosels right before the ag xrays. I indicated food (the usual duty free cookies and such) and was waved on. No ag xray this time.
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
Process at SFO seems to have changed. Arrived yesterday from TPE and the officer collecting the GE printout slip (which will be annotated with O if you indicate food) was stationed at the CBP booth line, just after the GE kiosks. Normally the officer collecting the slip is stationed past the baggage caruosels right before the ag xrays. I indicated food (the usual duty free cookies and such) and was waved on. No ag xray this time.
That's the new unified screening procedure which is discussed in this thread:
Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening
jashsu likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
At some airports - e.g. MCO, CBP officers tell you to take a picture and you are done, eliminating passport/fingerprint scans and on-screen questions.
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

No one will have their GE revoked for over-declaring anything, that's really ridiculous - but they WILL have their GE revoked for not declaring food no matter how trivial the food actually is.
Xyzzy, drewguy and abaheti like this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
And I would rather fight a GE revocation for over sharing food item information

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
No one will have their GE revoked for over-declaring anything, that's really ridiculous - but they WILL have their GE revoked for not declaring food no matter how trivial the food actually is.
And I would rather fight a GE revocation for over sharing food item information - If I lose GE for not declaring my duty free cookies I’ve got no leg to stand on. But if I have it revoked because I provided too much information I think I’d have a legitimate gripe.
abaheti likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP
I usually just put "YES" on foods because I tend to bring protein bars, nuts, etc with me during vacation and bring leftover ones back to US. I packed everything in a grocery plastic bag and open it for CBP agent, so far no issue.

I usually just walk to normal GE slip collection points (JFK, IAD, EWR is my primary arrival destination) with plastic bag. Sure it's little annoying to declare something that I BUY in USA but prefer be safe than sorry since I valued GE/TSA Pre big time.
abaheti likes this.

Search this Thread