Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
I won't be bringing back food, so I shouldn't get dinged for that. I was just curious how to account for the souvenirs I bought. I struggled with the wording on CBP that mentions declaring EVERYTHING, but from what I've read that doesn't seem to matter if the goods are under $800.
'Everything' refers to 'food', however you and CBP choose to interpret that. You will recall the section on the paper form that asked yes-no questions about food.

Non-food purchases get declared if the total value exceeds $800. That is the section on the back of the paper form that you are talking about. It is covered as a yes-no question on the kiosk.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
If your total value is less than $800, then you do not need to declare nor itemize.
Even if the value is over $800, there's no itemization that happens on the kiosk itself, at least there wasn't a few years ago. You declare with the kiosk, get the O on the receipt, and then get directed to the place in the baggage hall where you can pay any applicable duties.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, posts discussing how Global Entry members should declare alcohol over the duty free limit were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:17 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I wonder how old this is: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...info-guide.pdf

as it says you only have to declare specific foods on Page 5.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mdanner423

Probably 2015. That was what the kiosk-food-question was until they inserted the word "food" into it.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Mdanner423

That publication was done in 2013 and is still considered current by CBP. In fact, they are probably still giving it to people.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
As I'm finishing typing this I think I might say, "I don't like wasting your time or mine but as long as regulations say I have to declare (any food/alcohol over limit) and you can fine me or revoke GE if I don't then, I'm declaring it."
I'd just say "Sorry. Another agent told me I should declare it."
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TWA884
Some CBP officers will tell you that you are wasting their time declaring such items, i.e., chocolates and alcohol, others, however, will be like the one that you encountered at SFO. Why risk your GE status?
I've been told that I don't have to declare chocolate. I've been told a lot more often that they don't care about it (but they seemed to approve of the fact that I did declare it).
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:19 pm

Does the global entry kiosk ask for purpose of the travel as well?

As an aside - if travelling to present a poster at an academic conference, would this would be considered travel for business?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by yyzhamilton
Does the global entry kiosk ask for purpose of the travel as well?
No, there are typically 4 yes/no questions related to customs plus verifying your flight information is correct.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Flew into CLT with chocolate and potato chips. Was thinking of MPC to avoid the food question but saw that it was not available at CLT. Declared Y to food. Immigration waived me thru. Customs agent waived me thru as well. He must have been in a good mood as there was a line of 20 in general customs lane and two passengers in front of me went to GE line despite not being GE and he just gave them a warning instead of sending them to back of general customs lane.

While waiting for my bags earlier, overheard a beagle team gave a warning to an elderly couple with GE for failing to declare food. Didn’t hear what food they had.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Inconsistent information on declaring food- help!

Hi,
I will be traveling to the US next week and taking the usual chocolates and cognac. I always bring only permitted foods.
Here's the problem.
Both times when I was first issued and then renewed Global Entry I was told by agents NOT to declare that I have food at the kiosk but to tell the agent as I leave. Both times they told me the system would automatically disqualify me.
The last time I landed in JFK I did exactly that (as I have done for 10+ years) and as I was leaving the customs area was berated by an agent saying I could lose my Global Entry for not declaring it on the machine.

Which is it? Does declaring on the kiosk automatically disqualify you?
Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Lying will disqualify you. And you lied at the kiosk. If you have food items, declare them at the kiosk. You will not be automatically disqualified, but you will (might?) have to have your luggage screened.

I did that for a package of stroopwaffels. I could not just stroll out of the terminal. When I handed my GE slip to the agent, he asked me to put my bag in a screener. I did that. It took 30 seconds.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer is simple. If you have food, the answer is "yes." No CBP Officer has the authority to relieve you of the duty to truthfully answer those questions.

Answering in the affirmative does not "disqualify" you from entry, it simply diverts you to the standard inquiry.

The second Officer was quite correct. The untruthful answer is a basis for having your GE privilege revoked.

There are numerous threads on this exact topic and they all have the same conclusion. Some are from people who have had GE revoked and are complaining that despite their clear understanding of the words, they deliberately lied. And....
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
The answer is simple. If you have food, the answer is "yes." No CBP Officer has the authority to relieve you of the duty to truthfully answer those questions.

Answering in the affirmative does not "disqualify" you from entry, it simply diverts you to the standard inquiry.

The second Officer was quite correct. The untruthful answer is a basis for having your GE privilege revoked.

There are numerous threads on this exact topic and they all have the same conclusion. Some are from people who have had GE revoked and are complaining that despite their clear understanding of the words, they deliberately lied. And....
errr.. tough crowd! I think if you read my message you’ll see I always declare everything and everything is permitted.

It’s the agents themselves who made a point to me not to check that off on the screen or else it would automatically disqualify me. Hence the confusion.

what you say makes perfect sense.. but remember we’re talking about the government here :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.