Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Firebug4
I am trying to get my hands on the questions. However, it my understanding that the questions on the kiosk are not exactly the same as the paper declaration.
FB
That would be most appreciated, as I too understood that the questions are worded very differently, and the devil is in the details. Many thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by alphaod
If you mean the questions on the physical kiosk, it's the same questions they ask you on the paper Declaration Form 6059B:
1) Do you have plants, seeds, insects, etc.;
2) Have you been near a farm or livestock;
3) Do you have more than $10,000 USD in cash/bonds;
4) Do you have merchandise intended for resale.

There are no other questions.
What about food? (edited to add: never mind, it's part of 1))
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:02 am

question 1 mentions fruits/vegetables, but not food.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
question 1 mentions fruits/vegetables, but not food.
I've seen quotes from an email to CBP asking for clarification on 'food' that included mention of meats, products containing meat, dairy, ...snails, I can't remember the rest. (It's in the 'GE -worth it?' thread).

One explanatory email said you still have to declare candy and cookies and chocolate, IIRC, partly because there might be local restrictions in force.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by chollie
I've seen quotes from an email to CBP asking for clarification on 'food' that included mention of meats, products containing meat, dairy, ...snails, I can't remember the rest. (It's in the 'GE -worth it?' thread).

One explanatory email said you still have to declare candy and cookies and chocolate, IIRC, partly because there might be local restrictions in force.
I remembered reading this on milepoint: I recently had a discussion with a customs officer regarding the way the question was asked on the blue customs declaration card and at the kiosk. His reply was "if you can put it in your mouth it is food" and should be answered yes at the GE kiosks ". and yet, other officers have said otherwise. It would be nice to get a correct answer.

This is from the globalentry.gov/faq website. It makes it pretty clear; you must declare ALL agricultural products. It gives a link to the USDA (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/) that doesn't work for me:

Q: Must I declare food items or products when using the Global Entry kiosk?
A: Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the U.S. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. For additional information, click here.

Last edited by Finkface; Jun 28, 2013 at 8:32 pm
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:01 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Before I did the kiosk I asked an officer about this at IAH's GE point yesterday. I went up and specifically asked for clarification about sweets, candies and chocolates. He kindly noted to check no on the "food" question at the kiosk and to consider that I had verbally declared the sweets to him.
He even noted this way I'd avoid the automatic X. All I had were sweets but I've been given different guidance at different airports. YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Before I did the kiosk I asked an officer about this at IAH's GE point yesterday. I went up and specifically asked for clarification about sweets, candies and chocolates. He kindly noted to check no on the "food" question at the kiosk and to consider that I had verbally declared the sweets to him.
He even noted this way I'd avoid the automatic X. All I had were sweets but I've been given different guidance at different airports. YMMV.
Do you recall the wording of the questions you answered?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I remembered reading this on milepoint: I recently had a discussion with a customs officer regarding the way the question was asked on the blue customs declaration card and at the kiosk. His reply was "if you can put it in your mouth it is food" and should be answered yes at the GE kiosks ". and yet, other officers have said otherwise. It would be nice to get a correct answer.

This is from the globalentry.gov/faq website. It makes it pretty clear; you must declare ALL agricultural products. It gives a link to the USDA (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/) that doesn't work for me:

Q: Must I declare food items or products when using the Global Entry kiosk?
A: Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the U.S. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. For additional information, click here.
You've demonstrated the confusion. I don't think most people (including some CBP agents) consider chocolate, cookies or chewing gum to be 'agricultural products'. However, other agents use the 'anything that goes in your mouth' standard.

Absent specific clarification (update all references on the website), I will continue to err on the side of caution. YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You've demonstrated the confusion. I don't think most people (including some CBP agents) consider chocolate, cookies or chewing gum to be 'agricultural products'. However, other agents use the 'anything that goes in your mouth' standard.

Absent specific clarification (update all references on the website), I will continue to err on the side of caution. YMMV.
That is exactly how I felt. To me, 'agricultural product' wouldn't include the chocolate bar in my bag but it would be just my luck to get the CBP agent who diagreed. I have been told myself by a CBP agent that if you can eat it, declare it. So I am more confused than ever...
lewisc likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
we always say yes for food

get the X and show them our candy/cookies etc. Let them say "it's OK" and it doesn't take much time.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
get the X and show them our candy/cookies etc. Let them say "it's OK" and it doesn't take much time.
+1

If enough agents decide it's a 'waste of time' (as one agent told me), they can work to have the questions clarified, website updated, phone and desk and GE agents all trained to the same standard.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:11 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by 747FC
Do you recall the wording of the questions you answered?
I see them all the time but don't remember all the wording and after 12+ hours on a flight from Tokyo with no sleep by me I wasn't paying too much attention but dairy was mentioned specifically in question 1 as was meat
anohter was about the cash, and one about over the limit of 800$ exemption and finally about being on a farm.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Firebug4
I am trying to get my hands on the questions. However, it my understanding that the questions on the kiosk are not exactly the same as the paper declaration.

FB
What about food? (edited to add: never mind, it's part of 1))
The questions are different.

On the printed form, candy, cookies, and such would generate a yes, but on the kiosk, a no.

If GE generated an X for every breath mint a member carried, it would be a useless program.

Last edited by mre5765; Jul 5, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:06 am

I'm curious: Can anyone opine as to why there is not a single post with the exact wording of the GE Kiosk questions, and --as far as I can tell--why there is no link to these questions anywhere on the internet?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm curious: Can anyone opine as to why there is not a single post with the exact wording of the GE Kiosk questions, and --as far as I can tell--why there is no link to these questions anywhere on the internet?
When I first started using GE the questions were different from what they are NOW--also, if all your answers were NO, you still had to separately check each box, now you can click "NO TO ALL".
<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 6, 2017 at 9:28 am Reason: Policy debate/commentary, not Trusted Traveler's advice/information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.