Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Error 601
In my NEXUS interview I was told anything other than gum was food.

At CBP at YVR about a year and a half ago after declaring I had soda, cashews and lifesavers, the guy looked at me incredulously and asked if I also wanted to declare the contents of my stomach, intestines and anything under my fingernails.
One agent raised his voice and asked me why I was 'wasting' his time. He spoke loudly and sharply enough that pax nearby in line got quiet and looked over to see what was going on.

??? Just following the rules, dude. Maybe since you're working here, you should read up on them sometime instead of scolding and threatening me.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
GE kiosks have changed the question about food

Good to see they finally got rid of this "generic" food question and went back to something similar to what they had in the past. Just went thru JFK with lots of food (chocolate wafers/crisps/biscuits) and was able to select "No to All."
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Unfortunately, the word "food" has returned. I saw it Thursday when entering at IAD. On the plus side, when I presented my "O" receipt at customs, the officer asked what I was declaring rather than simply directing me to secondary. Once I stated what I had (chocolates), she wished me a nice day and sent me on my way.

Last edited by 14940674; Jun 6, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by 14940674
Unfortunately, the word "food" has returned. I saw it Thursday when entering at IAD.
It must be very recent. The question was still very specific when I passed through GE less than three weeks ago. I usually have no food (not even candies) anyway, but I still feel that is no need to ask generic questions . I wonder if that has to do with the new arrangement having kiosks reading non-GE passports or if there are GE holders bringing in prohibited food.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I had it at LA last week...just mentioned to the inspector at the exit that i had some crackers and he let me go without a bag check
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:29 am
Original Member

If they've changed their process to give customs agent discretion to "override" the "baggage control" on the GE receipt consistently at all PoEs, it's an acceptable trade off.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup, food was back for me, YYZ pre-clearance. Guy at booth at the end of kiosk asked me what I had, said chocolate, and he stamped my receipt/BP and I was on my way. Maybe an extra 10 - 20 seconds.

Not a big deal, but wish they would just keep it consistent, either ask about "food" or don't. While I don't really think this is the case, part of me is curious as to if its some sort of way to catch people answering the question mindlessly vs. actually reading them.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by emcampbe
While I don't really think this is the case, part of me is curious as to if its some sort of way to catch people answering the question mindlessly vs. actually reading them.
As tempting to me as that "no to all" button is, I take the 30 seconds or so to read the questions. Just in case they're sticking traps in there. I'd hope not though. That's not in the spirit of "trusted", which I would hope was a two-way street.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 14940674
Unfortunately, the word "food" has returned. I saw it Thursday when entering at IAD. On the plus side, when I presented my "O" receipt at customs, the officer asked what I was declaring rather than simply directing me to secondary. Once I stated what I had (chocolates), she wished me a nice day and sent me on my way.
Same here - told the agent I had some candy and cookies and was on my way - barely had to break stride.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Member

Went thru JFK today. Had chocolates.
Told GE-dedicated customs agent and was waived thru. I'm ok with the food question if they have empowered customs agents with discretion to waive thru instead of sending all baggage control GE to secondary.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
Went thru JFK today. Had chocolates.
Told GE-dedicated customs agent and was waived thru. I'm ok with the food question if they have empowered customs agents with discretion to waive thru instead of sending all baggage control GE to secondary.
That's been an allowance for CBP employees for the entire history of the CBP. I often declare food, get the indication for something or having declared something (foodstuff), and am most commonly asked what foodstuff I have and then told to just go (directly to the exit) when I mention that I have some chewing gum/candies/chocolates.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:19 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That's been an allowance for CBP employees for the entire history of the CBP. I often declare food, get the indication for something or having declared something (foodstuff), and am most commonly asked what foodstuff I have and then told to just go (directly to the exit) when I mention that I have some chewing gum/candies/chocolates.
Someone forgot to tell them at JFK and MIA 1-2 years ago. Was pretty much told by multiple custom agents that if GE receipt has refer to baggage control, send to secondary no IFs or BUTs.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
Someone forgot to tell them at JFK and MIA 1-2 years ago. Was pretty much told by multiple custom agents that if GE receipt has refer to baggage control, send to secondary no IFs or BUTs.
JFK is one of my most frequently used US POEs, and the CBP there and at EWR have been waiving me by even after declaring foodstuff each and every year, multiple times per year, for at least the past ten years. MIA tends to be more stubborn and worse in so many ways, and this would be one of those ways.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The weasel word was back in at LAX a couple weeks ago. I didn't have anything, so it wasn't relevant, but it is really stupid. The declaration needs to reflect what the law actual is, and what is required to be declared, not be some catch all meant to harass and intimidate.

Also at LAX, the guy in the GE customs line was asking multiple questions - as if he was doing an immigration inspection. He also thought he was making a joke but ended up insulting me (asked what I do for a living, I answered that I'm a lawyer, he responded with "at least you're not a used car salesman." My dad has owned used car dealerships for 25 years and I let him know I didn't appreciate it.). Horrible way to treat TTs.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flew into IAD this afternoon and there was no specific mention of 'food' on the declaration screen. It had the standard 'meat, plants, etc'

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Jul 7, 2015 at 5:03 pm Reason: Clarify

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.