Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Csfing1
Have GE and usually declare that I have food and specify no meat fruit etc as I am a vegetarian. Usually then they wave you thru. It is really important that you don't have fruit as once with my wife she had picked up a banana on the plane and as they searched the bags it was found but there wasn't any problem as it had been declared. It was removed and discarded. It you have any food items from plane in your pockets or carry on, safer to declare or double check that you haven't picked something up. As long as you declare you had it, there is not a problem but if you don't and it is found that is not good! It is important to know what you are carrying and have in your pockets, jackets etc.
Happy travels! Get your Quadrivalent Flu shot! Cheers!
+1

I have declared food many times and am generally either waved through or asked what do I have. At times they have checked bags.

When you get GE, it's based on the understanding and trust that you know the rules and will follow them.

Though what happened looks harsh, but in a way revoking the GE seems justified.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: MVP
Ridiculous to have your GE status revoked and future applications denied because of one singular banana.... especially something that can be given to you from the plane. It's far too harsh IMO.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Hamlol
No . I am new to being a business traveller so still have a few things to learn. I'm just shocked at how severe the penalty is. Here in canada they just tell you to throw it out.
Wow, sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter with a CBP power tripper. However, Canada is not immune to this kind of stupidity. I almost lost mine at YUL last year when I had a brain f*rt and forgot to fill out the arrival declaration (long story... 9th country in two weeks). I had my Nexus receipt but no arrival declaration. Power tripper sent me to secondary and told me I could lose my NEXUS for not filling out the declaration.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
The real problem, and I suspect why the fine was levied, is that it was a banana. A repulsive object. Food of Satan.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ashasan2005
Im surprised at the severity of the fine like you mentioned especially since it was a banana and has a thick peel. This happened to me once myself as i was coming back from Mexico. Customs was in DFW. The officer gave me the option of having it confiscated or eating it on the spot. I gave it to him.
The maximum fine is $500 for food, per item. I believe that trusted travellers are much more likely to get the maximum fine.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear this.

Technically what agent said was correct. Regardless to if it was an accident or not, you didn't declare it. If people could say it was an accident to get off on the violation, everyone would be doing it. Hence is there are no exceptions.

I declare everything just to be on the safe side. Most people don't declare stuff, so that means there is usually no line in the declaration area; besides they usually just ask me what it is, and most of the time I'm just told to go. I've been picked out for an inspection before out of the blue when I didn't declare anything (as I didn't have anything) before.

I have a family friend who about 15 years ago entered the country and was randomly picked to check their bag and they found US export restricted items in his suitcase. He had a company in China and the equipment malfunctioned and he was taking it back to the US to get it fixed. Little did he know, he wasn't allowed to export it in the first place. That's a real violation. Even now after 15 years, he will get picked out for a secondary 100% of the time. It sucks.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by go_around
The real problem, and I suspect why the fine was levied, is that it was a banana. A repulsive object. Food of Satan.
A banana can be a serious weapon (as John Cleese realized long before our American LEOs).

A Colorado man was just arrested for pointing a banana at police. He has been arrested and charged with two counts of felony menacing. (It was part of a joke, one of the police described the 'firearm' as 'yellow with a black center'.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado...ana-at-police/

Actually, I think this guy is darn lucky he's alive.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not so harsh a penalty when you consider the $millions in damage can be caused to the US agricultural industry. Try this in Australia or New Zealand and the penalty would be 10x higher.

GE revoked because it's about "trusted travelers" and OP violated that trust. Whether it was intentional is not remotely relevant. Almost a guarantee that had OP declared the banana on the GE screen, it would have been confiscated and destroyed with a mini-lecture and that's it.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: kayaker
*gulp*

This is one of those threads I'm glad I happened across. I've definitely let things "slide" because what is one apple or banana that you got on the plane? Never again -- too much to lose. I may not like it or find it reasonable, but I understand that they can't afford to just make arbitrary exceptions.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
While returning from Russia a few years ago a beagle alerted while I was waiting for my bags. The CBP officer asked me several times if I had anything in my backpack to which I answered that I did not. She even warned me that the beagle was 98% accurate and that I could be fined if they did find anything. Lo and behold I had put a piece of fruit in my bag that was a welcoming gift from the hotel I stayed at in Moscow the previous night. I just got a little warning and was let go.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Not so harsh a penalty when you consider the $millions in damage can be caused to the US agricultural industry. Try this in Australia or New Zealand and the penalty would be 10x higher.

GE revoked because it's about "trusted travelers" and OP violated that trust. Whether it was intentional is not remotely relevant. Almost a guarantee that had OP declared the banana on the GE screen, it would have been confiscated and destroyed with a mini-lecture and that's it.
+1 These rules are in place for a reason, as stated above. Back in the day, we simply followed the rules and everything worked well. Now, it seems we criticize the rulemakers for making the rules and feel we should be excused if we "accidentally" violate the rules. Oh, and if the agricultural crops in the US were seriously affected, we would blame the rulemakers for not enforcing the rules.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: MANY
Originally Posted by MOC991
The issue was not declaring it.
Depending on origin, the article/item may very well be allowed to bring in. But not declaring it is a major offense.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
Not so harsh a penalty when you consider the $millions in damage can be caused to the US agricultural industry.
This is why we let filthy bipedal primates shuttle across the entire planet without any restriction on cleanliness and sans any quarantine.

I am sure a shiny, pesticide laden banana is a HUGE threat .
Try this in Australia or New Zealand and the penalty would be 10x higher....
No. Australians at least will yell at you big time and feel important because they protected Australia. Saw this many times whenever they caught someone in front of me. Even the old Chinese lady who brought a live lobster on ice go away without handing over the lobster...

But yes the law has high hypothetical penalties.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:25 pm

Was waiting ORD immigration, CBP was walking by and was kind of screaming to eveyone "fruit veggies"
I walked to her and handed her a banana, she put it on a bag and she said "thank you being honnest'
She did ask for my customs form and mark it for a secondary inspection and my bag was scanned,.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by formeraa
+1 These rules are in place for a reason, as stated above. Back in the day, we simply followed the rules and everything worked well. Now, it seems we criticize the rulemakers for making the rules and feel we should be excused if we "accidentally" violate the rules...
That is grace to the newer media and the Internet - blessed it be! - we learned a lot more on how and why these rules were erected.
And that makes it hard to embrace them and to adhere to them voluntarily.

It's especially ridiculous in the case of Australia where every evil insect seems to originate from. Everyone is free to believe that this is not a mere protectionist measure ... or that the world is flat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.