Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
Incorrect. You are conflating the NEXUS Land and NEXUS Air requirements. Since you don't do a written declaration with NEXUS Land, it is implied that you don't have anything to declare (though, Canadian citizens/residents are required to still write some sort of declaration). With NEXUS Air, you are subject to separate customs and immigration inspections. The immigration part doesn't usually involve human interaction, since such violations are much less likely to happen, but customs still technically does.
You are quite correct. My question and the answer were directly related to land crossings where there was no physical declaration (paper form). My comment was unclear in this. Since I rarely cross at other than land borders, I neglected this distinction.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Ari
I'm in TLV right now-- they do Red/Green here. HKG also Red/Green . . . China, not so much.
Many countries use red and green - but not all of those countries work like the UK in that customs have very little interest in what individuals bring in, so long as it's not illegal drugs etc, and airport customs posts are often completely unmanned. They're more interested in larger smuggling operations and use intelligence to target them.

I suppose it's not dissimilar to the "honour system" on most European city train and bus networks, in that you are trusted to ensure you are complying with the rules, but if you are caught on random inspection and you are not complying, the penalties are severe.

Neil
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Just a comment on the OP: As a taxpaying American, it offends me that my tax dollars are used to hire staff people that enforce letter-of-the-law arbitrary dogma rather than focusing on real threats to U.S. security.

Anybody I can direct a letter to on this? I suppose I'd need more data about the actual case at hand, tho...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Just a comment on the OP: As a taxpaying American, it offends me that my tax dollars are used to hire staff people that enforce letter-of-the-law arbitrary dogma rather than focusing on real threats to U.S. security.

Anybody I can direct a letter to on this? I suppose I'd need more data about the actual case at hand, tho...
Unfortunately NEXUS and GE are "letter of the law" programs - you need to follow every dotted I and crossed T in order to remain in the program. I think this case is worthy of appeal, but in general, these programs are setup according to zero-tolerance standards.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Unfortunately NEXUS and GE are "letter of the law" programs - you need to follow every dotted I and crossed T in order to remain in the program. I think this case is worthy of appeal, but in general, these programs are setup according to zero-tolerance standards.
This is exactly why I buy nothing that I do not consume or declare. I even finish my coffee before crossing the bridge. Yes, I know, I am obsessive.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Which is why it drives me nuts that these programs are being suggested as the basis for TSA's new TT program.

No way in hell am I giving over iris scans to the Feds, but that's another thread... (I'd search and link but just got home from a six-hour flight delay at FLL...more tomorrow)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Which is why it drives me nuts that these programs are being suggested as the basis for TSA's new TT program.

No way in hell am I giving over iris scans to the Feds, but that's another thread... (I'd search and link but just got home from a six-hour flight delay at FLL...more tomorrow)
For airport checkpoint screening, I wouldn't either. For immigration, where the arriving country (forget about the US) can ask for whatever they want, I'm ok with it. Indeed, you could just not bother with NEXUS Air and you wouldn't have to have the iris scans done, just fingerprints and the background check.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Fruit pests are a serious problem, as those of us in CA can attest when our properties were sprayed many times with malathion to combat the med fruit fly infestation. But $300 is a bit over the top - looks more like deficit reduction to me.

This story makes me feel better about suffering in a 15-minute xray line after declaring my German banana last time I entered the country.

We ought to post an FAQ tip for US arrivals: Leave all your fresh fruit on the plane when you land.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P
Why did I think this thread was talking about phones?!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:11 pm

As a taxpaying American, it offends me that my tax dollars aren't used to adequately protect our food supply, forests and overall quality of life from pests and vermin brought in by travelers and un-inspected shipments from other countries. I've lived through a time when large urban areas were subjected to aerial spraying of pesticides to eradicate imported pests - medflies in that case - because of the major threat those little flies posed to the economy of California. America's native trees are being severely damaged by pests such as the Asian longhorned beetle, Dutch elm disease, hemlock woolly adelgid, and others. Brown-marmorated stink bugs have gotten into thousands of homes in my state, and then there are bedbugs, which I would hope disgust every traveler.

Maybe the OP's apple didn't contain pests, and probably it didn't. But if we give a free pass to one lunch bag because the person carrying it forgot to look in it, how do we have a credible agricultural inspection program? IMO threats to our food supply and economy from pests are a far greater threat to the nation than the small chance of another shoe bomber.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Fruit pests are a serious problem, as those of us in CA can attest when our properties were sprayed many times with malathion to combat the med fruit fly infestation. But $300 is a bit over the top - looks more like deficit reduction to me..
$300 is light compared to $300, plus a 7 page letter authorzing destruction of the prohibited item, plus $250 storage fee.

All that for one of the most popular children's treats around the world http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2011/01...se-border.html
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by exbayern
$300 is light compared to $300, plus a 7 page letter authorzing destruction of the prohibited item, plus $250 storage fee.

All that for one of the most popular children's treats around the world http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2011/01...se-border.html
Haha. All for a silly Kinder egg.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by YVR_YYC
When I approached the customs person with the lunch bag in hand, and he asked me of the contents, I knew I was in trouble.

To make a long story short, a single apple in the bagged lunch resulted in the $300 fine and loss of the Nexus pass. I admit I'm totally at fault but I never fathomed that the penalties would be so harsh. The monetary fine is not a big deal but the loss of the Nexus pass is a huge inconvenience as I cross the border on a weekly basis.
I guess I don't understand. You were asked what you had, and you truthfully answered.

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
No need to declare cookies.
If the form asks about food, you declare food, period.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan, CO OnePass, HHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by mre5765
I guess I don't understand. You were asked what you had, and you truthfully answered.

If the form asks about food, you declare food, period.
The problem was that I wasn't sure what was in the lunch bag provided by the conference resort. Although I opened the bag and consumed a sandwich at the beginning of my journey to the airport, I didn't inspect the other contents of the bag. After consuming the sandwich I slept on the 2 hour bus ride from the conference resort to the airport. When I stepped off the bus I headed straight to customs, still feeling groggy from just waking up.

I went through my weekly routine of filling out the declaration card without realizing that I was still holding the lunch bag. Therefore, I failed to declare the food items in the lunch bag. I'm a TN visa holder for over 12 years and have been crossing the border on a weekly basis for 9 or 10 of those years. Problem is that I got too complacent crossing the border.

When I approached the customs agent he asked me what was in the bag and my answer was that I wasn't sure. This got me sent to secondary where the apple was discovered. I admit it was my fault as I should have known better. Therefore, I did not dispute any of the charges and accepted the $300 fine and confiscation of my Nexus pass. Furthermore, one of the customs agent started checking into my TN visa and I feared that it would also be confiscated. I didnt want to risk losing the TN visa so I didnt take any actions that could be considered confrontational.

There was a good cop/bad cop situation where one of the customs agents, after noting my weekly crossings for the last 10 years, wanted to forget the matter but the other agent wouldnt have any of it. The good cop even tried to make up a story where he found a Washington state apple label at the bottom of the bag. The two customs agents discussed my case for close to 45 minutes but in the end the bad cops position prevailed.

Thanks everyone for the responses.I certainly learned my lesson.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Fruit pests are a serious problem, as those of us in CA can attest when our properties were sprayed many times with malathion to combat the med fruit fly infestation. But $300 is a bit over the top - looks more like deficit reduction to me.

This story makes me feel better about suffering in a 15-minute xray line after declaring my German banana last time I entered the country.

We ought to post an FAQ tip for US arrivals: Leave all your fresh fruit on the plane when you land.
The law is very specifically different for Canada than just about any other country in the world when bringing fresh fruits and vegetables into the US. As long as its grown in Canada and not a potato grown in certain defined areas, it is expressly allowed. It is, however, supposed to be inspected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.