Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MOC991
The issue was not declaring it. They would probably confiscate it, but you wouldn't be in trouble with Global Entry or fined. Also currency over $10,000 has to be declared amongst other things. I'd say it's a good reason to fill out the customs form or at least look at it to remind yourself even if you do have global entry.
It's not just $10K in currency. It includes negotiable instruments, even check.
I became aware of this while "importing" an $25000 check from an NCL cruise ship earlier this year into Port of Miami. This caused a delay at immigration while they entered it into the computer at secondary screening. I suspect they would have never had known had I not filled out the declaration form correctly and then need to ask for the Treasury form. Then, on my next cruise out of Miami because I didn't declare over $10K.... Um, that's right. I mentioned to Immigration I had gamble on the cruise, and apparently that got me into secondary screening. On that trip I was not carrying $10K or more.. So much for honesty.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:45 pm

This thread has inspired me to spend the evening watching Australian border security episodes on YouTube. The amount of Taiwanese people that attempt to bring undeclared meat into Australia blows my mind.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Was waiting ORD immigration, CBP was walking by and was kind of screaming to eveyone "fruit veggies"
I walked to her and handed her a banana, she put it on a bag and she said "thank you being honnest'
She did ask for my customs form and mark it for a secondary inspection and my bag was scanned,.
Right, you volunteered
OP had it discovered by an Ag dog.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Exclamation Food is a Broad Word

I had a friend who just got his Nexus card and on his first trip into Canada with it, brought a pastrami sandwich and only ate half of it. Went through Nexus and didn't declare anything.

When he got to the rest of us and said he ate the rest of his sandwich for dinner - the reaction from the rest of us Nexus holders was - You brought meat??? Needless to say, he has been careful ever since.

Personally, I will either hunt through my bags and make sure there is no food (particularly looking for candy or gum - food is a broad word) or make sure I check the box for food and then tell them I have candy or whatever else I may have. I do understand that this takes longer but all it takes is one PITA Customs official and you have a major problem on your hands.

While Canada asks for specific types of food, the US asks if you are bringing food.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by o mikros
I've definitely let things "slide" because what is one apple or banana that you got on the plane? Never again -- too much to lose. I may not like it or find it reasonable, but I understand that they can't afford to just make arbitrary exceptions.
I'm not sure I follow your logic. If we're going to have rules that prohibit importing fruits because of the fear of an embedded pest, why would it make a difference if it's "just one" apple or banana? Or that it was obtained on the plane?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:35 pm

So, this passenger was able to get off with a written warning and no fine - with insects, carpet beetles and plant , all undeclared in her luggage. And poor OP was fined for a banana.

investigation begins at 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVRSA7Hvbm0
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Did you pay cash?
I paid it with a credit card.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by chollie
Correct.

It doesn't matter where the apple came from - you might even have taken it from home, forgotten it in your bag, and brought it back home again. Certain food stuffs are not allowed in, regardless of origin.

Odd (true) story, I think it was at LAX. A CBP sniffer dog alerts on a man traveling with his wife. Dog is focused on the man's outdoor jacket (typical goretex shell). The guy laughed at first, said he usually had an apple in his jacket pocket whenever he went on short hikes. Total bag search of both husband and wife (dog didn't alert on her) and all belongings. Yup, guess what - no fruit, no contraband of any sort. But the guy and his wife were no longer laughing and at ease - very disturbing incident.
I had a student get the beagle alert at Newark. He brought an apple from home and ate it on the way from CPH to Frankfurt. Later that day, we arrived in the US. Thankfully, the beagle alerted before we had our checked baggage, and the search was very quick. But it was a good reminder for all the students.

DanishFlyer
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Is still imported and forbidden, the fact the OP is a "trusted traveller" is why they were so harsh on them. Australia is the strictest in the world on this topic. Also, California has pseudo-customs entering from INSIDE the US...
Not always forbidden. The issue here was the lack of declaration, but if the OP had not presented himself for formal Customs inspection and/or handed over a signed Customs declaration then I'd potentially argue the "offense" was yet to be committed.

Many fruits, meats and similar items are able to be imported into the US quite legally in passengers hand or checked luggage, but are virtually always subject to disclosure. The FAVIR system (a USDA one from memory) lists what fruits and vegetables can be imported into the US by class/origin and CBP publishes regular guidance on what is and is not permissible.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Yes, this was harsh but was expected because OP was a trusted traveler. It's sad OP had to experience this, but it's a very strict program. Normally, I'm biased against power-hungry government employees, the CBP officer did her job - nothing power-hungry about it. Note that one piece of fruit can cause millions of dollars worth of damage to the US agriculture industry! So that's why CBP is so paranoid.

During my GE interview with a CBP officer, he stated that GE maintained extremely strict standards that even people who were caught violating rules, by accident, were removed from GE. He even mentioned about avoiding incidents with forgotten pieces of fruit in the bag. He also begged me, yes, begged, for me to remain honest and cautious so that I can remain in GE and not have CBP expend as much resources processing me while re-entering USA in the future.

The key is to declare. Even if the item eventually turns out to be prohibited, if you declare, the food item will be confiscated, and the GE status won't be jeopardized. No fine.

Don't automatically answer "no" on all CBP forms. Think things through. When in doubt, answer "yes" and search your bags to see what's inside.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Dec 2, 2014 at 6:17 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Typically you can reapply to these programs after a specified grace period. I think NEXUS is/was 5 years. Same for GE?

Will
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by thetaxman
if the OP had not presented himself for formal Customs inspection and/or handed over a signed Customs declaration then I'd potentially argue the "offense" was yet to be committed.
The OP is (was) a member of Global Entry. With GE, you make your Customs declaration on the GE machine, prior to reaching the baggage carousel.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
So you go to the transborder MLL and on the way out grab an orange to eat late. You get on your flight. You have already pre-cleared. If the dogs are waiting in the jetway on the way off the plane in the US are you in trouble?
Do you have to tell CPB that you plan on grabbing a banana after you pre-clear.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:49 pm

I know someone who lost GE and has spent over $10k in atty fees trying get it back with no luck. Do not mess with CBP
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by thetaxman
Not always forbidden. The issue here was the lack of declaration, but if the OP had not presented himself for formal Customs inspection and/or handed over a signed Customs declaration then I'd potentially argue the "offense" was yet to be committed.

Many fruits, meats and similar items are able to be imported into the US quite legally in passengers hand or checked luggage, but are virtually always subject to disclosure. The FAVIR system (a USDA one from memory) lists what fruits and vegetables can be imported into the US by class/origin and CBP publishes regular guidance on what is and is not permissible.
Not particularly helpul, even if you were correct, which you are not. OP still imported the forbidden fruit (literally). He beats the lesser violation and forces CBP's hand to charge the more serious violation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.