Farewell TSA pre-check

Old Nov 12, 13, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; 2 Million miler
Farewell TSA pre-check

Oh how I enjoyed the convenience and speed of TSA pre-check at the MSP International Airport. Delta provide its priority flyers a combination pre-check and priority lane check-in that was wonderful. Now, the TSA, claiming sequestration is at fault has increased the number of TSA pre-check eligible flyers to as much as 25% of the flying public regardless of status. I'm totally fine with that - BUT - speed is gone and its actually faster to go through the Delta sky priority line - take off my shoes and pull out my laptop then to wait in the TSA pre-check line. I wonder if its like this at other airports? I was in Austin, Texas yesterday and breezed through TSA pre-check while other lines were backed up. Not sure what's up in MSP. It seems just when we think the camelot is upon us - it is no more so quickly.
Old Nov 12, 13, 8:04 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This issue has been discussed with other airports, also. You can find it in the airline-specific precheck threads, and also the following thread in this very forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...pre-check.html

In principle, I like the fact that more people are eligible for precheck, as this is what screening should be for the majority, with only exceptions being subjected to more invasive screening. However, TSA have really screwed the pooch on the marketing/communication and implementation of this benefit to those who are not in the know. Yesterday, I was about 4-5 people behind a guy who had removed his shoes, liquids, laptop, jacket, belt, and all content from his pockets before a TSA person noticed and told him he didn't need to do that. Nobody else in line said anything, either.
Old Nov 12, 13, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The stated goal of TSA is to create three checkpoint channels. 1) pre-check which will acommodate 85% of travelers, 2) current standard channel which will acommodate most of the rest, and 3) enhanced screening ("SSSS").

As people are shifted into #1, the # of lanes dedicated to pre-check will increase. But, it's not instant.

Remember, pre-check isn't a FF benefit of the carrier, it's simply that the initial program goals were met through FFP data.
Old Nov 12, 13, 8:46 am

Programs: MUCCI, AA Lifetime Gold, Proudly BA Blue,, Wally Club!
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
Yesterday, I was about 4-5 people behind a guy who had removed his shoes, liquids, laptop, jacket, belt, and all content from his pockets before a TSA person noticed and told him he didn't need to do that. Nobody else in line said anything, either.
Every time I see someone do this I inform them they don't have to. Usually the person is right in front of me. The response usually is an incredulous "really?" Sometimes, I jump in front of them at the scanner to prove my point. Only once have I received a quick look from a TSA agent to which I replied, "gotta train the masses somehow..." Fortunately he appreciated my quip. And I got to move through the line faster ^
Old Nov 12, 13, 9:47 am

Programs: UAL 1k
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The stated goal of TSA is to create three checkpoint channels. 1) pre-check which will acommodate 85% of travelers, 2) current standard channel which will acommodate most of the rest, and 3) enhanced screening ("SSSS").

As people are shifted into #1, the # of lanes dedicated to pre-check will increase. But, it's not instant.

Remember, pre-check isn't a FF benefit of the carrier, it's simply that the initial program goals were met through FFP data.
My problem with the TSA in general is they continually change the rules after I've paid my money.

They announced that Clear was coming to Denver, and it was the fastest way to clear TSA security. Like a sucker, I bought into this service, in part because I am concerned about going through the millimeter wave scanners several times a week. When I purchased Clear, they made a big deal about Clear members not having to go through the millimeter wave. About two weeks after I purchased Clear, they re-configured the line to push Clear customers through the millimeter wave.

Next, they introduced Pre Check. I paid $150 to get Global Entry clearance, so that I would have complete coverage in Pre. For a couple of months, it was great. But then they changed the rules, allowing the military to use the line. I think this is great, but it makes the line times highly variable. If a unit is shipping out, the Pre line could be longer than regular screening.

Their latest move is the final straw. In Denver, they are pushing about 25-30 of the regular line into the Pre line. The regular line has about six stations. When they take a 25% of that traffic and push it to Pre, the result is Pre is frequently longer than regular screening.

I paid for Clear, I paid for Pre, but because they change the service after I pay my money, I feel ripped off. Any other business would be accountable for delivering the service they charged for. TSA is not.
Old Nov 12, 13, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure what carrier you generally fly xDEN, but you should also be pre-check eligible through your FFP and that costs $0.

You may not get it as frequently as via GE or TSA's new program, but you will get it.
Old Nov 12, 13, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; 2 Million miler
Here's a novel idea...why doesn't the TSA increase the lines before they add more people to the program?? Oh wait....it's the government!
Old Nov 12, 13, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
TSA PreCheck

American is doing the same thing at their PreCheck. AA is assigning certain flyers in their database to go thru the PreCheck line. The line was slow, long and I was not believing what I was seeing. PreCheck was very nice for awhile and now it is pointless to have precheck. I guess what I've learned is that once the airlines do something helpful for their frequent flyers, you can count on the airline to screw it up. For all of us who are on a plane every week, what a disappointment. oh, and p.s., I paid for global entry also, but PreCheck is now about being invited by the airline, it's the airline database. (at least that is what the TSA agent at JFK/AA told me.)

Last edited by EPtraveler; Nov 12, 13 at 12:12 pm Reason: changed a sentence
Old Nov 12, 13, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHONOR Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
I'm not sure if what has been posted so far is an actual trend, or just the typical whining of over-entitled FT people

For the last 2 weeks, I have used the TSA Pre line at PHL, IAH, PVD, SFO, LAS, LAX, DFW, SNA, ORD, and the grand total time that I spent for each trip through security was 2 minutes!

Yes, there have been a few newbies sent through who proceeded to take off their shoes and their laptops, but I still breeze through security whereas the "regular" lines are miles long.
Old Nov 13, 13, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
PreChek at EWR (and at PHL, come to think of it) has been empty every time I've flown this year with the exception of my most recent flight (end of Oct. EWR/LHR), when the PreChek line was a lot longer than the regular line. I like to think that the time of day may have something to do with how busy PreChek is, but from now on I think I'll just pick the shortest line.
Old Nov 13, 13, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Diamond, Million Miler)
Now that pre check has been added at RSW, I have been denied the pre check designation on my boarding pass 7/7 consecutive flights. TSA blames Delta, Delta says TSA randomly selects flyers for additional screening. 7/7 is not Random! I have Global Entry and Diamond with Delta.
Old Nov 13, 13, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Tconrad2648 View Post
Now that pre check has been added at RSW, I have been denied the pre check designation on my boarding pass 7/7 consecutive flights. TSA blames Delta, Delta says TSA randomly selects flyers for additional screening. 7/7 is not Random! I have Global Entry and Diamond with Delta.
Don't you know WHO I AM ???
Old Nov 13, 13, 10:35 am

Programs: alaska,delta,airmiles,united,southwest
Where's the memo?

FWIW, I completely missed the introduction of this, and had my first experience of it last month (my travel is way down for a while). With no explanation, no signage, how could I have known that I didn't have to take off my shoes, were it not for the TSA agent telling me I didn't have to as I moved to do so - ? I'm an inveterate sign-reader and email reader so I know I didnt' just miss something sent to me. Have some patience with those of us who didn't get the memo. Also, I didn't leave there understanding the whole sensibility of the situation. Only now, reading this, do I *get* it. Thanks, Flyertalk.
Old Nov 13, 13, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tconrad2648 View Post
Get DL to strip out any (In)Secure Flight info and GE PassID/Known Traveler number you have associated with your DL frequent flyer number; then get all of that re-entered sometime after that has all been emptied out. Also, when getting booked, make sure the name arrangement corresponds on the GE account and the Delta SkyMiles account. It may also help to try to avoid making bookings with introductory titles (e.g., Miss/Mstr/Mr/Mrs/etc.)
Old Nov 13, 13, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Diamond, Million Miler)
I should have been more specific... 7/7 outbound flights FROM RSW. The Pre-check designation always appeared on the return flights TO RSW. The issue is the "random" selection only affects my flights originating from RSW. I will try clearing out the existing data and the profile matches the Global Entry data. I never book with titles so that should not be an issue. Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: