Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

0 for my last 10 on pre-Check (AA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:10 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

Am I just incredibly unlucky, or is something wrong here?

When I first got invited to the program (through AA PLAT status) it worked great.
Now I am 0 for my last 10.
My name matches exactly on my reservations as my AA account (FIRST MIDDLE LAST format).
I have the green check mark and "Known Passenger" in my AA account info.

Most of my tickets are booked through a corporate travel agent, but that shouldn't matter, should it?

Any ideas before I e-mail AA? I'm really at a loss here.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It should not matter that you book through a TA, but it often does. Depending on how sophisticated the TA is and what they use for software, it's entirely possible that it is that fact which is causing the problem.

Call, do not email, AA and ask them to look at your last "failed" pre-check which was booked through the TA.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
It's probably the agency-generated PNRs instead of airline-generated.

Try booking some yourself on AA.com (or by calling AA) and see if your rate improves.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Do your on-line check-in bps have the words "TSA pre-check", what about kiosk bps? [I was flying from ZRH (Zurich) to JFK and even that bp had "TSA pre-check" (and there is NO pre-check from ZRH to JFK).]
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Am I just incredibly unlucky, or is something wrong here?

When I first got invited to the program (through AA PLAT status) it worked great.
Now I am 0 for my last 10.
The reason is that it hit and miss via an airline program. If you go global, you have to have an FBI clearance and an interview with customs and can have no previous arrests, etc on your record. If cleared for global, you get a trusted traveler number and you almost always get prechecked. If you have the AmEx plat card, I believe they pay for global so it is a good deal.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:52 am

No TSA pre-check

Did you recently get Global Entry? If so I think you have to do something on your GOES account to acknowledge the blanket (all airlines) Pre-Check which is part of GE package. I got GE last week, the next day my pre-check failed on AA. Also ask one of the agents at the Admirals Club as they likely have tips which they are willing to share if they are not too busy.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:43 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
It's probably the agency-generated PNRs instead of airline-generated.

Try booking some yourself on AA.com (or by calling AA) and see if your rate improves.
Unfortunately, I don't have that option. Although the last time I booked personal travel, I didn't get it either, but I just assumed that was because I was traveling with my wife, who doesn't have pre-check.

Originally Posted by nrr
Do your on-line check-in bps have the words "TSA pre-check", what about kiosk bps? [I was flying from ZRH (Zurich) to JFK and even that bp had "TSA pre-check" (and there is NO pre-check from ZRH to JFK).]
Have not tried kiosk BPs, but they don't show up on online BPs, and I had them reprinted at the airport and they still don't show up.

Originally Posted by Often1
It should not matter that you book through a TA, but it often does. Depending on how sophisticated the TA is and what they use for software, it's entirely possible that it is that fact which is causing the problem.

Call, do not email, AA and ask them to look at your last "failed" pre-check which was booked through the TA.
I tried this, and they said they couldn't do anything . They said they have no visibility into it at all.

Originally Posted by BeatCal
The reason is that it hit and miss via an airline program. If you go global, you have to have an FBI clearance and an interview with customs and can have no previous arrests, etc on your record. If cleared for global, you get a trusted traveler number and you almost always get prechecked. If you have the AmEx plat card, I believe they pay for global so it is a good deal.
Unfortunately, I can't get Global Entry either. I've tried.

I may just be royally screwed.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
I don't think it's travel agency related.

I book tickets through an agency (can use a website or call a phone representative to book) and it hasn't impacted my AA Pre-Check success rate that I'm aware of; which by way, is WAY better than my AA upgrade success rate this year.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:58 pm
oec

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
I don't think it's travel agency related. I book work travel through a travel agency and personal through aa.com and I seem to have about an equal success rate with getting PreCheck. The mystery was that a couple of times, my husband didn't get it but I did on an itinerary where we were on the same PNR, and we both have PreCheck through AA inviting elites in, are both Platinum, and checked in at the same time. So maybe it is actually random?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
What TA do you use? My corporate TA is CWT and I've not had issues with getting PreCheck on AA with Global Entry, but no status.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:55 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What TA do you use? My corporate TA is CWT and I've not had issues with getting PreCheck on AA with Global Entry, but no status.
Mine is CWT as well. Was Orbitz at my last job. My name on my AA account and my CWT travel profile match exactly.

I just don't know what the issue is.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Originally Posted by g_leyser

I just don't know what the issue is.
I was told, by a so-so source, that if you have a lull in flying with the airline in question for a period of several weeks, the Pre-Check may be less frequent once you restart flying vs. if you keep flying weekly (or more). Not sure how accurate that is, but could it explain what you've been through?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:21 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moving Chicane
I was told, by a so-so source, that if you have a lull in flying with the airline in question for a period of several weeks, the Pre-Check may be less frequent once you restart flying vs. if you keep flying weekly (or more). Not sure how accurate that is, but could it explain what you've been through?
Hmmm...well I did not fly at all mid-July through early-Nov. Which is very unusual for me - first time in years I've gone even 1 month without a flight.

But I wasn't getting pre-check before that even, and I was flying at least once per month.... Perhaps even that isn't often enough?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
I have heard rumors that now, since they are offering Pre-Check "cards" like they offer GE and Nexus, that the airlines will slowly lose the ability to make frequent travelers pre-check by themselves.

But to answer the OP, I think you should try for the a Pre-Check interview and not GE and you might have better luck.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Diamond, Million Miler)
I went 0/8 on outbound and 8/8 on return. Now 3/3 on both legs and last 2 From MEX. it's simply a TSA issue therefore something that is a loss to be explained. Does not matter if GE, status. This is a TSA issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.