Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripy
Very good news indeed....any links to where they say when applications can be submitted (the GOES site still shows the old eligibility criteria as far as I can see) and, more importantly, what "select Qatar and United Kingdom citizens" means? TIA
I'm going to hazard an educated guess (hope?) and say it'll only be for British Citizens holding biometric passports.

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Don't hold your breath. They are the only nation that has told me to get in the foreigner queue at immigration, and this is a BNO passport.
(Others like France / Germany / Italy / Portugal / Spain/ Swiss have let me use the EU queue)
Probably because the UK is the only country in Europe where the border officials know the difference between a British Citizen passport and a BN(O)/BOC/BS/BPP one. Plenty of BN(O)/BOCs living in Europe without a visa based on their British 'citizenship'.

But then we are the only country in the world that issues six flavours of passports only one of which means you're actually British.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
The full text says:

In order to allow for the development of the program's infrastructure, the application process will initially be open to only a limited number of citizens of the United Kingdom who frequently travel to the United States. Persons who have been identified as potentially eligible for initial participation receive a CBP promotional code and information about the program from a British airline carrier, the U.S. Embassy, or CBP.
which to me does not sound like much change (particularly as CBP referred me to BA), however:

Although CBP is expanding Global Entry to permit a limited number of citizens of the United Kingdom to apply for Global Entry at this time to allow for the development of the program's infrastructure, CBP expects to be able to expand eligibility to apply for Global Entry to include all British citizens in the near future. CBP will announce such expansion by notice in the Federal Register and on http://www.globalentry.gov.
Unfortunately, the "near future" may also be influenced by the more distant future prospect of:

Consistent with the Joint Statement, U.S. citizens who participate in Global Entry or U.S. citizens who can utilize Global Entry kiosks as NEXUS or SENTRI participants will have the option to apply for participation in the United Kingdom's trusted traveler program, once such a program is established. Once the program is established, CBP plans to announce it on CBP's Web site at http://www.globalentry.gov.

Last edited by nbevan; Aug 11, 2013 at 10:33 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nbevan
The full text says:

which to me does not sound like much change (particularly as CBP referred me to BA), however:

Unfortunately, the "near future" may also be influenced by more distant future prospect of:
If the UK's trusted traveller program is the e-Borders system then we'll be waiting an awfully long time.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by nbevan
Consistent with the Joint Statement, U.S. citizens who participate in Global Entry or U.S. citizens who can utilize Global Entry kiosks as NEXUS or SENTRI participants will have the option to apply for participation in the United Kingdom's trusted traveler program, once such a program is established. Once the program is established, CBP plans to announce it on CBP's Web site at http://www.globalentry.gov.
Yeah, swell. "You let us in now, we'll let you in someday, as soon as we get around to it." My IRIS worked fine for years, then suddenly stopped working, and of course there was no one to ask why, the offices being permanently de-staffed. All phone calls led to the answer, "The program is being discontinued." And incoming Fast Track has become a joke in most of LHR.

IMHO, the US should have gently insisted on SOME kind of actual reciprocity.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Yeah, swell. "You let us in now, we'll let you in someday, as soon as we get around to it." My IRIS worked fine for years, then suddenly stopped working, and of course there was no one to ask why, the offices being permanently de-staffed. All phone calls led to the answer, "The program is being discontinued." And incoming Fast Track has become a joke in most of LHR.

Do US visitors to the UK have to pay any sort of ESTA-equivalent fees and fill in Visa wavers?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Do US visitors to the UK have to pay any sort of ESTA-equivalent fees and fill in Visa wavers?
No.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
No. So I'll be happy to pay the $100 for 5 years' entry, and accept the same from the UK folks.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat

Hang on a minute. How about the UK charges American visitors $14 every 2 years to register online your intent to visit the UK, insist on credit card payment and email address, so we can monitor those too. Then we make you stand for 3 hours in a special "Aliens" lines at some sweat-box of a processing hall annexed to an airport before granting you the "priviledge" of entering the country.

Now, that would be reciprocity !!

I'll add a but it does irk me every time I enter the US. No excuses for the UK discontinuing IRIS though, that was a brilliant scheme.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Phinn
I'm going to hazard an educated guess (hope?) and say it'll only be for British Citizens holding biometric passports.

Probably because the UK is the only country in Europe where the border officials know the difference between a British Citizen passport and a BN(O)/BOC/BS/BPP one. Plenty of BN(O)/BOCs living in Europe without a visa based on their British 'citizenship'.

But then we are the only country in the world that issues six flavours of passports only one of which means you're actually British.
Really?
Based on visiting certain large cities in Europe (including the UK), I would say that there are more Middle East / African people than BNO. (Racial profiling, but then again, before 1997 I don't remember HK being very multicultural. Even today >90 percent of HKers are ethnic Chinese)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Aug 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Purdey
One IRIS was working last Tuesday afternoon at T5.
And one was working on Friday evening, though oddly the e-passport gates were not.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:01 am

Both were working last Sunday at T5 and no tensa barrier to dodge, or queue. Bliss!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: ABBA
If the UK really is as bad as the US, and a non-EU citizen wants to get into the UK quickly, I'd suggest booking a tag-on flight to a UK domestic location. The queues at Passport control at connections aren't too bad.

I reckon you could fit in a quick flight to MAN/EDI/GLA and back in the time it takes to get into the US sometimes.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

IRIS always worked fine for me...why stop it if it's working?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by paulwuk
If the UK really is as bad as the US, and a non-EU citizen wants to get into the UK quickly, I'd suggest booking a tag-on flight to a UK domestic location. The queues at Passport control at connections aren't too bad.

I reckon you could fit in a quick flight to MAN/EDI/GLA and back in the time it takes to get into the US sometimes.
They are if you have a non EU passport. There is often only one desk open. EU passport holders are called through until that line is empty or as they arrive, no matter how long those in the non EU queues have been waiting.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by HilFly
They are if you have a non EU passport. There is often only one desk open. EU passport holders are called through until that line is empty or as they arrive, no matter how long those in the non EU queues have been waiting.
I haven't seen a separate line for non-EU (At t5), at least in the fast track line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.