Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Travel&Dining

Travel Safety/Security

Trusted Travelers

Global Entry Procedures and Timelines of Applications and Renewals for UK Citizens

Global Entry Procedures and Timelines of Applications and Renewals for UK Citizens

Hide Wikipost
Old May 18, 22, 11:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 30, 22, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by cwl View Post
Assuming your point of entry into the US offers Enrolment of Arrival at the time you arrive just tell the immigration officer you want to do EonA and they tell you where to go (don't follow the EonA signage at JFK terminal 8 as it will send you to the wrong place, EonA at JFK is by customs inspection after baggage reclaim). No appointment, just join the queue, process take no more than 10 mins, just depends how many people are in front of you for EonA when you arrive.
Just a word of caution on this - my GE renewal is conditionally approved and I arrived on 5 July into JFK T8 expecting to use EoA to complete the process however the EoA booth was not operational that day. No idea how often that occurs, but it's obviously kind of inconvenient. In the meantime my GA still works, but at some point I guess this might become more of an issue. I've also tried to get an online appointment, but there are absolutely none available at this time.
Old Jul 30, 22, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt View Post
Just a word of caution on this - my GE renewal is conditionally approved and I arrived on 5 July into JFK T8 expecting to use EoA to complete the process however the EoA booth was not operational that day. No idea how often that occurs, but it's obviously kind of inconvenient.
Did you ask about it?

Here is a report of an Enrollment on Arrival experience at JKF T8 on July 22 or 23 from the Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival thread:
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
...planned Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) at JFK Terminal 8 upon return during website stated hours (~8pm). GE kiosks stated to scan passport but would not scan passports. Adjacent (empty) kiosk took a photo/facial recognition and printed receipt immediately. Asked Passport Control about EoA, told to go to Lane 1 of Baggage Control (BC)... Nearest staffed lane to 1 was 5 or 6. Went to Lane 5 or 6, asked about EoR, agent said only at Lane 1 when it is staffed. Asked if it could possibly be done now, usual nonsense excuses (I just work here, we’re short staffed), played the Navy retired card, asked to speak with a supervisor/manager.

Agent disappears for a few minutes, comes back, says okay, this one time, follow me to Lane 1. Fingerprinted again (I thought they never change), photographed again, asked where I was returning from, asked if Canada or Mexico in past 5 years... Process completed in 8 minutes, received email immediately that application was complete and approved. BC area still basically completely empty of travelers with 4-5 agents apparently not doing much.

I was soft-spoken, polite and respectful at all times, thanked both officers profusely. You get more bees with honey!
And a couple from December 2021:

Originally Posted by mgs 1k View Post
Arrived first week of May at Terminal 8 JFK 6am. Asked for Enrollment on arrival and was told to take the normal line and ask the officer. Very friendly officer stood up, asked a couple of colleagues and told me that they had no one processing at the time, that I could try at terminal 4.

I cleared customs, took the air train and went to Global Entry enrollment center at terminal 4. After about 5 minutes someone showed up, explained I just cleared customs at terminal 8 and wanted the Enrollment on Arrival. They asked for my boarding pass and took my passports. 15-20 minutes later I was called, took a picture, fingerprinted and left. E-mail came about 5 minutes later.
Originally Posted by kjbclt View Post
Here's a data point in case anyone would find this helpful. I landed at T8 at JFK on 17 December around 2:30pm. I asked the staff member directing people where to go for enrollment on arrival. She advised me to mention it to the CBP agent during my entry process. I did so and the agent sent me down behind booth 1, to speak with another agent there. That agent flagged down a third agent passing by to ask if he had time to do EOA, and he said he did. The process was very smooth with just a few questions, followed by photo and fingerprints and an explanation of the program. I was approved about an hour later.
Old Jul 31, 22, 4:45 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Did you ask about it?
I did and was simply told that it wasn't available on that day. Unfortunately I couldn't play the "retired Navy" card and there was no suggestion from CBP of going to T4, however next time I know to push politely.....
Old Aug 1, 22, 5:40 pm

Programs: EK Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does anyone have any recent experience of changing immigration status and updating their TTP/Global Entry details? When I was approved last year, I was a temporary L visa holder at the time. I recently got a green card. Unsure as to whether I need to make an appointment at an enrollment center, or whether walk-ins are accepted for change of status. I don't have any international trips planned at the moment and would prefer to do this locally, rather than waiting for another EoA opportunity.

Incidentally, about a week before my green card was approved, I had an issue at the GE kiosk at Houston Hobby. It would not process me, stating something along the lines of my last entry being too recent. I thought this was odd, as my last entry was in December. I went forward beyond the kiosks and was processed by a CBP officer the old fashioned way without issue. He didn't say what the issue was.
Old Aug 1, 22, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABZSimy View Post
Does anyone have any recent experience of changing immigration status and updating their TTP/Global Entry details? When I was approved last year, I was a temporary L visa holder at the time. I recently got a green card. Unsure as to whether I need to make an appointment at an enrollment center, or whether walk-ins are accepted for change of status.
You do not need to make an appointment to go to a Global Entry Enrollment Center to change your visa status. As a matter of fact, you can't even make an appointment for that purpose.

There is helpful information on this and similar processes in the following thread:
ABZSimy likes this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt View Post
I did and was simply told that it wasn't available on that day. Unfortunately I couldn't play the "retired Navy" card and there was no suggestion from CBP of going to T4, however next time I know to push politely.....
Well, there is "captain" in your username, so one never knows.

Here is a more recent report:
Originally Posted by tsz View Post
Just adding my data point - painless process at JFK terminal 8. Arrived around 3 pm from Doha on a QR flight and was directed to “station 1” after claiming baggages. The area was empty except for a random CBP officer standing within the vicinity. We asked her about enrollment on arrival and she told us to follow her. Thee were no private rooms or anything but she completed our interviews (one new enrollment and one renewal) at the station 1 counter. Took all of 10 minutes for both of us and I got the status change/approval email a few minutes later.
Captain Schmidt likes this.
Old Aug 13, 22, 5:45 am

My experience with this as a first time applicant with a UK passport:
  • Application to the Border Force: 30 May 2022
  • Received code from Border Force: 30 May 2022 (later the same night)
  • Applied for GE: 31 May 2022
  • Booked trip to the US landing in JFK on 23 July 2022
  • Received conditional approval: 21 July 2022
Landed to a nightmare immigration scenario at JFK T7 on 23 July around 7:10 p.m. as planned, with queues going up both sides of the terminal. When I finally made it to my interview one hour later, the CBP officer said I would have to wait until they cleared the room and then approach a CBP officer again. I waited close to another hour and then went up to a CBP officer who agreed to process my interview. She didn't ask any questions. Just took my fingerprints and photo and said I should hear back the next day.
Received notice of enrollment the next day as promised but in the evening at 7:40 p.m.

Good luck, all.
Old Aug 18, 22, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Another data point - ultra quick!

GE / UK Citizen / First Time Application

UK Border Force Access Code - 15 Aug (got the code 5 hours after submission )

Submitted to DHS - 16 Aug

Conditional Approval - 18 Aug

2 days

My next US-bound flights booked in November.
Old Aug 19, 22, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by icebird View Post
Another data point - ultra quick!

GE / UK Citizen / First Time Application

UK Border Force Access Code - 15 Aug (got the code 5 hours after submission )

Submitted to DHS - 16 Aug

Conditional Approval - 18 Aug

2 days

My next US-bound flights booked in November.
Exact same dates for me, with a 2 day turn around for the GE application conditional approval. I have no US flights booked, if it makes a difference.
Old Aug 20, 22, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
JFK T7 interview

Interviews on arrival at JFK T7 were available yesterday (19 August 2022)

Arrived on BA113 around 7pm. Immigration hall was busy - both US and non US passport lines

I was renewing GE (UK passport). Asked at the passport booth about interview on arrival for GE renewal and was told to wait "by the flag" past passport control (by passport booth 17/18). A CBP officer walked by a minute later and asked if anyone was waiting for an interview. Two other people were already waiting there. Took about 20 mins for the first one to be taken away for an interview (which took 10 mins). After waiting maybe 30 mins I got my interview. Very quick. New photo and fingerprints. 24 hours later no sign of the status being changed yet

My wife (travelling with me, US passport) also had an interview to get GE for the first time. Also took about 5 mins (we were interviewed together back to back). Her status is still pending 24 hours later

Unlike previous attempts they did not say the queues had to be cleared and the hall empty before they would release staff to do the interview. Whole things took around 40 mins - finished before the bags arrived from the flight
Old Aug 28, 22, 10:07 am

So, our plan to go through Enrollment on Arrival at DFW went thoroughly pear shaped as the flight landed more than 2 hours late after 7pm.

Now, will have to see if JFK will accept a random walk in next Saturday. Does anybody know that it's terminal 7 at JFK where we have to go? Luckily, we are scheduled to leave from that terminal on a BA flight.
Old Aug 28, 22, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Yanshuf View Post
So, our plan to go through Enrollment on Arrival at DFW went thoroughly pear shaped as the flight landed more than 2 hours late after 7pm.

Now, will have to see if JFK will accept a random walk in next Saturday. Does anybody know that it's terminal 7 at JFK where we have to go? Luckily, we are scheduled to leave from that terminal on a BA flight.
BOS has a bullpen adjacent to the beginning of the line of manned immigration kiosks. There us sort if a first come, first served honor system. The hall was empty when we arrived, around 6:30pm on a Thurs. we were third in line, after a single and a couple.

The officer designated for the interviews waited until our flight was fully processed before turning to the bullpen.

he process tge applicants. When it came to our second person, the computer froze and after 19-15 mins of retrying, he sent us to another guy who didn’t have computer issues.

The whole thing probably took 45 minutes or so… Our first person took 15 minutes and maybe five minutes each for the kids plus a 15 minute delay for computer problems…

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 28, 22 at 11:24 am Reason: Fix BB code
Old Sep 1, 22, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Did my interview at JFK T7 on 29th Aug. Waltzed up to regular desk (no queue which was a first for me) and told the officer I wanted to do Interview on Arrival. He did the normal admission process for arriving with and ESTA – fingerprints etc. Was directed to wait on a couple of chairs behind the desks. One other person waiting. Once everyone from the flight had gone through (hall empty) we were both called back.

Another photograph, more fingerprinting and a few questions; showed my UK driving licence. My fingerprints are always an issue because they are very faint. After a few tries he said he would send them through and I would get an email.

Two days later the email had not arrived and I was coming back home. I decided to go to the Global Entry office in T4 at JFK and ask why I had heard nothing. Luckily, the officer guarding the door took pity on me and went to find someone to help. I ended up having a lengthy session of photographing and more fingerprinting with a very kind and patient officer. I felt very lucky that they were so nice to me as I was feeling pretty anxious about it all by then – especially when he said he would send the fingerprints through (that was becoming a slightly ominous phrase in my head). That must have showed because then he told me he had approved me.

The email notifying me of my change in status came through about 6 hours later.

Get to try it out next week.
jms_uk likes this.
Old Sep 4, 22, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver (OWS), Priority Pass
Originally Posted by benjc24 View Post

Summary of timelines:

UK Border Force Code provided - 22/01/2022
Applied for GE via TTP site - 25/01/2022
Conditional Approval - 27/06/2022
So, did Enrolment on Arrival at LAX on the 25th August. If you're arriving at Tom Bradley, you would clear the normal immigration queue first. This took about two hours (a good reminder about why I paid the $100 for GE), before searching for my suitcase in the baggage reclaim area for another half hour.

The EoA desks are on the left-hand side as you exit the baggage reclaim hall. I waited about half an hour for my interview. The CBP Officer took my photograph and fingerprints, and the interview was mainly just confirming the information on the original application was correct and he asked a couple of questions about my work. I think he was a little puzzled about why I wanted GE since I'd only been to the US once before, but I emphasised this was in anticipation of me travelling more in the next few years (including a TP run for my BA Gold). Was told I'd hear back the outcome in a day or two.

28th Aug - Status change email and application approved. I used TSA PreCheck on my return flight to the UK from SEA on the 30th August.
Tip (Make sure you include your middle name in your API data, that made the difference as to whether PreCheck appeared on my boarding pass)
Old Sep 6, 22, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
UK access code application made at 19.09 on 4 September.
Access code issued 23.10 the same day.
GE renewal application made around 23.30 on 4 September.
Status change to conditional approval at 07.40 on 6 September.

Hoping to do Interview on Arrival at JFK T7 next month. 19.15 arrival. What are the chance of the interview booth being manned at that time?
haroon145 likes this.

Search this Thread