Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Travel&Dining

Travel Safety/Security

Trusted Travelers

Global Entry Procedures and Timelines of Applications and Renewals for UK Citizens

Global Entry Procedures and Timelines of Applications and Renewals for UK Citizens

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 18, 22, 11:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 20, 22, 8:20 am
  #2116  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spitalfields, London
Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Posts: 1,727
Originally Posted by nomad.imt View Post
I applied for GE as a UK citizen, just wanted to give you some reference points:

Me and my partner applied on 21st and 22nd May respectively, travelling to the US on 21st June (tomorrow).
I was planning for the worst after reading through the post.
However, we got our conditional approval through this morning (20th June).

I also read a number of occasions here where conditional approvals were given just before travel so I'm not sure whether they prioritise with applicants' travel date
Thanks, this is interesting and there does seem to be a pattern emerging here. My own situation will test this to the extreme, as I applied in early March but am next entering the US in early September - 6 months!
choosethedrew is offline  
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:26 am
  #2117  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Jzlerner View Post
​​​​​​My story:
UK citizen. Applied on 18th May. UK background check came in after about an hour. Still waiting for conditional approval. I was born in Jerusalem and travel to Israel frequently which may raise some flags with the whole Middle East situation. I'm flying into JFK in exactly a week. Very much hope I'll have the same luck as you and conditional approval a day or two before.

Can I ask, did you receive an email confirming the status change or you checked back manually? Was this a first time enrollment or a renewal. Also, assuming you are planning to do entry on arrival interview tomorrow please let us know how this goes and the steps/process involved.

Thanks
Edit: forgot to ask, I can't remember if they ask for next visit to US in the application. Do they do this to know when you're coming? Or do they know based of ESTA/airline info?
It just said there is a status change in the application.

I'm a first time enrollment.
I do intend to do Enrollment on Arrival and flying into SFO. Will share my experience on here.

I don't think they ask when the next visit is in the application.
They may have in it record if you applied for ESTA. Think they have arrival but I can't remember now.
I doubt they'll get info from airline.
nomad.imt is offline  
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:52 am
  #2118  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by nomad.imt View Post
They may have in it record if you applied for ESTA. Think they have arrival but I can't remember now.
I doubt they'll get info from airline.
Thanks for the info. Just one point that I've picked up, ESTA is a 2 year long validity, no specific entry dates. The entry dates are provided to the US CBP by the airlines who then verify a valid ESTA is in effect. So I'm assuming that's how they know you're coming because the form and esta doesn't detail which dates

Originally Posted by choosethedrew View Post
Thanks, this is interesting and there does seem to be a pattern emerging here. My own situation will test this to the extreme, as I applied in early March but am next entering the US in early September - 6 months!
The truth is seeing as you have to do an interview anyway and can't use it first time you land, there isn't any difference to having conditional approval now or the day before you fly. So it probably does make sense for them to shelf your application and deal with the upcoming entry ones and then get back to yours at a later date.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 20, 22 at 9:08 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:14 am
  #2119  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Hampshire, U.K
Programs: BA Executive Club Silver (OWS), Priority Pass
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Jzlerner View Post
Thanks for the info. Just one point that I've picked up, ESTA is a 2 year long validity, no specific entry dates. The entry dates are provided to the US CBP by the airlines who then verify a valid ESTA is in effect. So I'm assuming that's how they know you're coming because the form and esta doesn't detail which dates
Yep, so the airlines would provide your “Secure Flight” data to DHS at 72 hours before departure which is probably at this point where the application gets flagged for them to review and approve as well as the usual checks for valid ESTA, or whether SSSS appears etc.

It’ll be interesting as I applied in January to see whether I end up hearing nothing until August and then conditionally approved just before my flight. I guess it is fairer to deal with those who have imminent travel first.

Last edited by benjc24; Jun 20, 22 at 3:57 pm
benjc24 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 22, 1:33 pm
  #2120  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 540
Originally Posted by endoman View Post
Both myself and mrsendo have been waiting since 13 Feb, both UK passports. Next visit to the US is in 3 weeks time, was hoping to do enrolment on arrival , hope they get a bit of a shift on with it!
Still nothing through for us, fly in 2 days, looks like we will be waiting until next visit in October.
endoman is offline  
Old Jun 20, 22, 1:46 pm
  #2121  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 292
Seems to be that people are receiving the conditional approval literally a day before their flight. Would you be able to update us tomorrow?
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 1:13 am
  #2122  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 540
Originally Posted by Jzlerner View Post
Seems to be that people are receiving the conditional approval literally a day before their flight. Would you be able to update us tomorrow?
Yep, conditional approval now granted the day before the flight for both of us.
choosethedrew likes this.
endoman is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 3:17 am
  #2123  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spitalfields, London
Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Posts: 1,727
Originally Posted by Jzlerner View Post
The truth is seeing as you have to do an interview anyway and can't use it first time you land, there isn't any difference to having conditional approval now or the day before you fly. So it probably does make sense for them to shelf your application and deal with the upcoming entry ones and then get back to yours at a later date.
Certainly makes sense, I am sure they would cut down on a lot of enquiries and TBH frayed nerves if they simply stated that on the website or at the point of application.
endoman likes this.
choosethedrew is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 4:43 pm
  #2124  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by nomad.imt View Post
It just said there is a status change in the application.

I'm a first time enrollment.
I do intend to do Enrollment on Arrival and flying into SFO. Will share my experience on here.

I don't think they ask when the next visit is in the application.
They may have in it record if you applied for ESTA. Think they have arrival but I can't remember now.
I doubt they'll get info from airline.
Any update on the EoA?
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:06 pm
  #2125  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Jzlerner View Post
Any update on the EoA?
So did my Enrollment on Arrival today when I flew into SFO, it was quite easy.
Note that my experience below is in SFO and it may differ in other airports.

On your way to the border control, there are big overhead signs say "Global Entry/ Diplomat". I just follow it.
When you get to the border control hall, there is also a big sign say "Conditionally approved? Interview for Global Entry".
Then you get into a queue, we were the first ones but depends on where and when you fly into USA.
An immgration agent then took my biometrics (photo and finger prints) and instructed us to put our name down on a list on a clipbaord and wait to be called for the interview.
Interview was about 10-15 mins, that means your waiting time depends on how many people are in front of you on the list.
The interview was also done at the immgration hall. Questions are pretty much the same as the one in the form.
Remember to bring your proof of address and any other passports you have if you have dual citizenship.
That's it.

I have my full approval on the same day.
nomad.imt is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 6:16 am
  #2126  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
Data point:

Applied for uk border approval 5/01/22 (12 hour approval)
Applied for conditional approval 06/01/22

Received conditional approval 16/05/22

Does anyone know if I can do the EOA at Dublin as passing through en route to SFO in early oct, according to the cbp website it operates 08:00 -16:00 Sunday -Saturday but on the EOA thread there seem to be some debate on the days EOA is available? Thursdays should be ok?
Andyh335 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 4:47 pm
  #2127  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Posts: 13,357
When you say 'passing through' does that mean you are flying ex DUB direct to the US or ex DUB to somewhere else and then the US?

You can only access the pre clearance area on the former not the latter.
TWA884 likes this.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 7:46 pm
  #2128  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
It’s a connecting flight via Man, so MAN - DUB - SFO
Andyh335 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:09 am
  #2129  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Posts: 13,357
Originally Posted by Andyh335 View Post
Its a connecting flight via Man, so MAN - DUB - SFO
You're good to go then.

Was just checking as we've had posts from people who are merely at DUB asking if they can access pre clearance to do an EOA.but without a BP for a flight to the US they can't/
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 9:19 pm
  #2130  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by Jzlerner View Post
​​​​​​My story:
UK citizen. Applied on 18th May. UK background check came in after about an hour. Still waiting for conditional approval. I was born in Jerusalem and travel to Israel frequently which may raise some flags with the whole Middle East situation. I'm flying into JFK in exactly a week. Very much hope I'll have the same luck as you and conditional approval a day or two before.

Can I ask, did you receive an email confirming the status change or you checked back manually? Was this a first time enrollment or a renewal. Also, assuming you are planning to do entry on arrival interview tomorrow please let us know how this goes and the steps/process involved.

Thanks
Edit: forgot to ask, I can't remember if they ask for next visit to US in the application. Do they do this to know when you're coming? Or do they know based of ESTA/airline info?
Update:
Just got my conditional approval at approximately 3am UK time. Flying to NY tomorrow, furthering the assumption conditional approval comes day before travel. Hoping to do EOA in JFK.
Jzlerner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread