Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Is GE worth getting? Or, maybe another way - how frequently would you have to visit the US for GE to be worth getting?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by nbevan
I spoke too soon: I had emailed the advertised contact [email protected] saying that I was a UK citizen and frequent traveller to the US, and asking whether I could obtain a promotion code to apply for Global Entry.
Thanks a lot for the tip. I had called BA earlier this year to be told there were no more codes. I emailed Larry and received mine in no time. Now for ACRO and then hopefully to TPA for an interview
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by manord
Is GE worth getting? Or, maybe another way - how frequently would you have to visit the US for GE to be worth getting?
I have no upcoming flights to the US for the rest of the year, no idea what my flying will be like in the future. I paid about 750 us dollars for it when you chuck in the GE fee, ACRO and courier charge, last minute airfare to MIA. Do i regret it (and i have only used it on one trip, may not use it again for quite a while). Absolutely not because it is valid for 5 years and renewal may be simply a case of paying another fee. Having stood in line at MIA for far too many hours of my life, GE is well worth it. Even if you use it only once a year, it is worth it unless you really enjoy standing in a long line? I have never heard of anyone regretting their decision to go through the motions to get GE, nor have i ever seen a queue at the GE machines while looking longingly at them from the immigration lines at MIA pre-GE (although that may change in the near future...). Question is though - how easily can you make the interview?

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jcm9000
I have no upcoming flights to the US for the rest of the year, no idea what my flying will be like in the future. I paid about 750 us dollars for it when you chuck in the GE fee, ACRO and courier charge, last minute airfare to MIA. Do i regret it (and i have only used it on one trip, may not use it again for quite a while). Absolutely not because it is valid for 5 years and renewal may be simply a case of paying another fee. Having stood in line at MIA for far too many hours of my life, GE is well worth it. Even if you use it only once a year, it is worth it unless you really enjoy standing in a long line? I have never heard of anyone regretting their decision to go through the motions to get GE, nor have i ever seen a queue at the GE machines while looking longingly at them from the immigration lines at MIA pre-GE (although that may change in the near future...). Question is though - how easily can you make the interview?
As long as there is a reasonable choice of interview dates over a two month window, I should be OK. Would be used (depending on entry point) at least half a dozen times a year. But on the other hand, I'm not that bothered by queues normally - unless I have an important connection to make.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: ABBA
nor have i ever seen a queue at the GE machines while looking longingly at them from the immigration lines at MIA pre-GE (although that may change in the near future...). Question is though - how easily can you make the interview?
I think this is they key. List "fast track" boarding, when everyone and his dog gets it, is it really faster?

I've only been to the states twice in the last 12 months, 5 times in the previous 12 months, and half the time am travelling with others, so I don't consider myself frequent enough to make use of it.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Connections is a big one for me, especially if you arrive into certain airports like MIA where certain flights are full of people that take > 5 mins per person to process. Not anyone's fault so no offence intended, but if I can avoid standing in a queue where it generally took < 2 mins to be processed after waiting a very long time for others to be processed at much slower speeds.... And esp with connections in the US onto AA - if you are in J/F, you miss your flight due to imm...and you need to get the next flight, good luck with all the upgraders filling the F/J cabins.

Paulwuk makes a good point re traveling with others. Would you leave them...? Otherwise manord, definitely get it. You will appreciate it when you are faced with a rammed immigration hall with no one at the GE machines.

And i do wonder just how many people will sign up. I bet some airports will have GE lines whereas some other never will (im betting MIA wont - prog has been open to Americans for a few years now and still no queues....very much a tourist airport that one...)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:44 pm

Connections is a big one for me ...
I am usually happy to just take the next flight if I miss a connection. Noting your comment about available space though. And, once in a while, it is critical to keep to my original travel plans.

Paulwuk makes a good point re traveling with others. Would you leave them...?
Usually travel alone, although sometimes others on the plane going to same destination as me. I'd be happy to leave them ... :-)

More of an an issue will be trying to recall every international trip I've made in recent history as reputedly required by the process!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
As a member of GE for the last 18 months I can tell you that the only airport where I experienced a significant wait (15 minutes) was JFK. LAX is the only other airport where I had to wait for a machine to open up ( I was next in line). MIA and ORD have been an absolute breeze and been through both several times. For some reason DFW comes up as an airport where you could be waiting 10 minutes or so. I did not experience it on my one time through. The fact that it is good for five years means even the most casual traveler can benefit.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: ABBA
More of an an issue will be trying to recall every international trip I've made in recent history as reputedly required by the process!
I assume trips to Europe can be consolidated. Otherwise someone living in Germany but working in France would have a fair few pieces of paper!

Question is, do you include country's on your non-us passport?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
I assume trips to Europe can be consolidated. Otherwise someone living in Germany but working in France would have a fair few pieces of paper!

Question is, do you include country's on your non-us passport?
I don't have a US passport, just a UK one. Problem is I haven't really kept records until recently (when I learnt about FFPs).

Lots of voices in favour of applying for GE - would anyone argue against getting GE?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:40 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Marcusm
It would move conformance up to at least 1 hour except realistically it would be much longer as the availability of CBP personnel to be stationed overseas would mean that few flights could preclear. Also once through CBP checks, passengers are into a fairly sparse holding area - no lounge access.
Now then, I recall back in 1989 ( I think) when TWA and Pan Am were both alive (just) and kicking back in T3. They experimented with this in T3 and HI and I flew with TWA to JFK just the same as BA 001 does. I think that it is perfectly possible. It might mean dismantling a few of those stupid shops where no one buys anything (the Japanese apart) but I have no doubt in my mind that it could be done.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Re the interview, are the stations landside or airside in the immigration area? i.s. should one schedule the interview to coincide with an existing arrival into the US?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by dubbin
2) The Global Entry form no longer asks exactly when you visited each country - it just asks you to identify all countries you've visited in the past 5 years.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by nbevan
Originally Posted by dubbin: 2) The Global Entry form no longer asks exactly when you visited each country - it just asks you to identify all countries you've visited in the past 5 years.
OK, that's much better - although I still wouldn't be 100% sure I had recalled them all :-)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
OK, that's much better - although I still wouldn't be 100% sure I had recalled them all :-)
The problem is not usually whether but when?

I highly recommend Tripit which is great for collating all aspects of a journey, and also gives you a historical archive.

Last edited by nbevan; Aug 14, 2013 at 5:53 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.