Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, HH Gold, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by TangoFive
Thanks - fingers crossed, otherwise I'll have to plan my trip to Washington around when I can get a US GE interview. I heard you've got 30 days to book an interview, but I'm assuming you can just reschedule this.
IIRC, you get 90 days (unless they've changed it).

Yes, you can re-schedule as many times as you want. I shifted my appointment around several times, and it was done instantly online.

My interview was 6+ months ahead of the time I got the conditional approval.

I scheduled mine to be 2 days after I got there. Just nipped back to the airport for the interview, and carried on with my trip afterwards. The agent asked if I was 'coming or going' (I assume most people schedule theirs for landing or arrival); I said neither-- I was staying another 8 weeks. It doesn't make any difference, so just plan it to be convenient for your trip.

The nice thing about it is that you get the approval immediately, and can start using it right away. I took several domestic flights with Virgin America, and the TSA Pre-check was enabled, which was nice!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I had a very pleasant interview a few years back when I had mine - it was in San Juan, Puerto Rico - they'd never had anyone non-US get it before! He was very taken with my Disclosure Scotland certificate (as that's what I was able to use in those days, had it for work anyway), then we had a chat about travels before finally fingerprints. Confirmation GOES email already received before I left the airport ^ Saved me a LOT of time in MCO a few months back - that one trip probably paid for it!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:53 am

Just thought I'd update - submitted my UK background check last night (42), which came back as approved this morning. I've just submitted my GE application ($100). Not sure how long this will take to be approved, but hopefully not too long - fingers crossed I can get an interview slot at the London location before they close at the start of March.

Also, looks like Virgin just announced you can now use pre-check on USA>UK flights (previously only domestic).

Last edited by TangoFive; Jan 26, 2017 at 9:02 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:44 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
I'm off to Alaska in June to visit my brother and want to get GE when I am in Anchorage. When should I start the process?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by McG
I'm off to Alaska in June to visit my brother and want to get GE when I am in Anchorage. When should I start the process?
It lasts for 5 years. Why not start now?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:39 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Because I want to get the interview when I am in Alaska.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by McG
There are several threads discussing Global Entry application timelines and interview availability in the Trusted Travelers forum:
You probably should start the application process as early as feasible. Once conditionally approved, within 30 days, you must schedule an interview, however, the interview does not have to take place within 30 days of the conditional approval and can be rescheduled.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:23 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by McG
Because I want to get the interview when I am in Alaska.
If you have a very specific time slot you need to meet, you definitely need to start the process as soon as possible. Slots change all the time as applicants' plans are amended, release times are variable depending on the logistics of the individual station, but by having as much time as possible to grab something you give yourself the best chance of it being in the right place at the right time.

Note that the 5 year validity period only begins after the interview, not from the time of application, and actually only expires on your following birthday, iirc.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by anothertraveler
Just be aware that it can be hard to find a GE appointment. I booked mine for 6 months after I got the conditional approval. There were no appointments available in NY, Boston, San Francisco or Las Vegas for literally 3+ months. Some places I expected to be busy, like San Diego, had availability in a few days, and then big gaps a few weeks later.
A strategy for American friends of mine is to book the first available appointment at the location you desire, and then to show up there when you are free (i.e. at some point in time before the official appointment). For Americans at least, they will usually see you and complete your interview, so long as they aren't too busy. Just say you have an appointment for date X but you were in town today so thought you would stop by and see if they had time. After hearing about this approach, I tried it myself and it worked well.

Edit: I would imagine that this strategy would not work for the embassy location
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
UK-related question about updating passport details in GOES after renewing UK passport, first time doing so since getting GE. Got a new passport today and will be able to update document details in GOES tomorrow (seems you can't do it on the day of issuance). The help pages say that you need to attend an enrollment center if the issuing authority has changed, and this field cannot be changed by the user in GOES.

Both my previous and new passport were issued in exactly the same place (personal applications at London passport office), but at some point in the last10 years, they have changed the name of the Issuing Authority printed in the passport from UKPA to HMPO. Issuing country is of course still UK.

Will I need to go to an enrollment center and get this changed in my GOES account, or will the naming issue be ignored?

Also, as I need to apply for a new ESTA, is there a need to wait for any period of time after updating the passport details in the GOES account? The ESTA application requires the GE membership number, so I guess they need to tally and not sure if I should wait or if systems will update instantly. Don't think the above issuing authority question will be an issue, as the ESTA application does not ask for that.

Appreciate if anyone has any experience of these points. Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I just updated my passport number in GOES and didn't have an issue re issuing authority (if you'll pardon the pun!).

I don't remember filling out my GE number for ESTA but may have just forgotten I did it!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
UK-related question about updating passport details in GOES after renewing UK passport, first time doing so since getting GE. Got a new passport today and will be able to update document details in GOES tomorrow (seems you can't do it on the day of issuance). The help pages say that you need to attend an enrollment center if the issuing authority has changed, and this field cannot be changed by the user in GOES.

Both my previous and new passport were issued in exactly the same place (personal applications at London passport office), but at some point in the last10 years, they have changed the name of the Issuing Authority printed in the passport from UKPA to HMPO. Issuing country is of course still UK.

Will I need to go to an enrollment center and get this changed in my GOES account, or will the naming issue be ignored?

Also, as I need to apply for a new ESTA, is there a need to wait for any period of time after updating the passport details in the GOES account? The ESTA application requires the GE membership number, so I guess they need to tally and not sure if I should wait or if systems will update instantly. Don't think the above issuing authority question will be an issue, as the ESTA application does not ask for that.

Appreciate if anyone has any experience of these points. Thanks.
Don't worry about the issuing authority name. It's not even stored on the machine readable data which the GE kiosk uses. When I asked they said it doesn't matter either as it's still the same organisation.

You can do the ESTA before you update GE. It just checks the name and DOB match.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
I just updated my passport number in GOES and didn't have an issue re issuing authority (if you'll pardon the pun!).

I don't remember filling out my GE number for ESTA but may have just forgotten I did it!
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Don't worry about the issuing authority name. It's not even stored on the machine readable data which the GE kiosk uses. When I asked they said it doesn't matter either as it's still the same organisation.

You can do the ESTA before you update GE. It just checks the name and DOB match.
Many thanks both. GE info now updated and new ESTA approved (which does ask for your GE membership number).
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Many thanks both. GE info now updated and new ESTA approved (which does ask for your GE membership number).
I just renewed my ESTA and for the first time it said pending review, this is the first time i entered my GE number, however 5 mins later i was approved.

Did you have the same, or was mine strange!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Can't say I remember entering my number on the esta last autumn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.