Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For example you would need an enhanced CRB check, which is tedious in its own right. There are credible reports of people with very minor childhood misdemeanours being denied GE.
Which is interesting on another point: the only real point of this is to allow you quick entry to the US on arrival - i.e. skipping the queues. Other than that it is very easy to get an ESTA - and presumably the checks there are limited (I assume the US homeland security service don't have full access to any police records held about you...).

So - the point is - if you apply for this and are rejected - could that possibly mean that you might struggle to get an ESTA in the future?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Dont think so.
The ESTA form asks specifically about offences involving moral turpitude, whereas there are reports of GE applicants being denied for misdemeanours- some many many years ago- or even such stuff as traffic offences- none of which you would have to declare when applying for ESTA.

My permanent resident card is pending right now- looking forward to not having to wait in the visitors line any more and hopefully applying for GE later
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by leaveamessage
Dont think so.
The ESTA form asks specifically about offences involving moral turpitude, whereas there are reports of GE applicants being denied for misdemeanours- some many many years ago- or even such stuff as traffic offences- none of which you would have to declare when applying for ESTA.

My permanent resident card is pending right now- looking forward to not having to wait in the visitors line any more and hopefully applying for GE later
According to the US Embassy in London, you should not used an ESTA if you have ever been arrested (even if not charged or convicted).

The rules aren't very clear, and I suspect a lot of people may get caught out.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Panda4
According to the US Embassy in London, you should not used an ESTA if you have ever been arrested (even if not charged or convicted).
That seems a bit unlikely - the ESTA questions are very precise in their terms, in particular in this case:

'Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?'
However, that's my point really: applying for the GE program means that you are volunteering significant additional information to the US authorities. Giving appropriate answers to the questions on the ESTA form does not guaranty that you will be accepted: they can (and presumably do) carry out further checks on you and can reject your application for whatever reason they choose. So - I am saying that by volunteering extra information in a GE application (such as your police record) then if rejected for GE you potentially increase the risk of you being rejected when you make a subsequent normal ESTA application since the US authorities will now hold a whole load of information on you that they did not have any right to previously.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by jasec
However, that's my point really: applying for the GE program means that you are volunteering significant additional information to the US authorities. Giving appropriate answers to the questions on the ESTA form does not guaranty that you will be accepted: they can (and presumably do) carry out further checks on you and can reject your application for whatever reason they choose. So - I am saying that by volunteering extra information in a GE application (such as your police record) then if rejected for GE you potentially increase the risk of you being rejected when you make a subsequent normal ESTA application since the US authorities will now hold a whole load of information on you that they did not have any right to previously.
Surely that only becomes a problem is you have "a past"?

I think for $100 and an interview, it's a bargain for 5 years of skipping the queues.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Slightly OT, but at least one UK citizen has also been able to enrol in Pre-Check, the US airport programme that gives members a much less invasive security screening procedure and permits members to skip most security queues, without removing/sequestering shoes, laptops or liquids.
Yes indeed. Its simply because i am platinum (mid-tier) with AA. It only applies if i am flying within the US only that day (i.e not transferring from/to an international flight. Note i have got through Pre-check flying in from grand cayman the night before and heading on the next day on the same PNR). Pre-check is not guaranteed even if you are cleared for it as its still experimental, there is a long thread on the AA board where those with pre-check note how often their boarding passes allow it in the US. It is very fast when it works and at Miami for instance there is a chap at the side of the fasttrack security where you can ask for him to scan your BP.

Im watching closely for GE opening up as i have to go through miami anytime i want to get somewhere.

And i very much would like separate lines for ESTA holders as visa holders do take quite a few minutes to process compared to around a minute for ESTA holders (who are often frequent entrants to the US). But who are we to tell the US what to do for their homeland security (not starting an argument about what the US may demand of the rest of the world!!) and frankly CBP have improved. Even Miami takes a lot less than it used to in busy times due to the new immigration hall (although CBP currently do not have enough staff to keep the old E crossing open for the Europe evening arrivals which was the original plan and would have made miami one of the fastest points of entry minus the slog from the far gates), and CBP officers are starting to break a smile every now and then. I'm finding I am nowhere near as concerned as I used to be about going through Miami.

On another note while I am at it - i was talking to a Canadian chap on an AA flight who was interviewed for GE/Nexus (what Canadians use for GE). He detailed everything but said had no issues with 'the law'. They asked him twice something like - are you CERTAIN you have had no dealings with law enforcement (clearly about to refuse his application). He said his car was broken into once many years ago, he called the police, they did not respond, he dropped it. This is what the GE officer was referring to. They appear to dig into EVERYTHING.

Last edited by jcm9000; Oct 24, 2012 at 10:06 am
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kileysmom
The difficult part at least for me is that you need to book an appointment for the final interview and most airports are booking 6 weeks or more in the future. If you have a certain travel date and will be going through one of the airports that offer the interview (there's a list on the GOES website of about 25 or so but most airports that are common points of entry are listed) then you could book your appointment for when you are there. It looks like I am going to end up paying to fly down to Seattle primarily for the interview because I don't know far enough in advance when I'm passing through one of the interview places to book an appointment.

I was told by someone at the SEA office that you can check online to look for cancellations and that's what I'm doing for a scheduled trip in late January. Right now SEA is booking in late March!
At least when Ge was first introduced, at most GE airport interview offices, one could show up and be taken care of it an interviewer was available. It might have worked only for the office where one had requested a future appointment. Also, as others have said, keep checking for slots that open when someone cancels an appointment. Again, when I went through the process, one needed to schedule the initial interview within a certain time limit of when the preliminary approval was granted, although that interview can be freely cancelled and rescheduled for a time that exceeds the limit.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by leaveamessage
Dont think so.

ESTA is basically an expedited visa procedure, specifically a check on one's fitness to enter the USA for a certain period.

GE, at least as it's explained to USA citizens, is more about expedited customs clearance, specifically about whether there is a risk of the person violating the rules about what can be brought into the USA, not just drugs and excess cash, but also fruit, meat, etc.

TSA and PreCheck deal with airport security issues and the risk of a potential terrorist bringing forbidden items onto a flight.

It's not surprising that the criteria and questions for these different programs are not the same!

ADDED. PreCheck is not available for trips, including domestic connections within the USA, that are considered to be international. It one has a domestic flight on an international itinerary but for a different day, I'm not sure whether the passenger would be eligible for PreCheck but I suspect not.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
ESTA is basically ....

ADDED. PreCheck is not available for trips, including domestic connections within the USA, that are considered to be international. It one has a domestic flight on an international itinerary but for a different day, I'm not sure whether the passenger would be eligible for PreCheck but I suspect not.
Yes i get pre-check, and that is always when i get precheck (as im always coming from the cayman islands and sometimes overnight in miami - and i am a brit using esta, no us visa).
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PreCheck is not available for trips, including domestic connections within the USA, that are considered to be international. It one has a domestic flight on an international itinerary but for a different day, I'm not sure whether the passenger would be eligible for PreCheck but I suspect not.
The Pre-Check thread includes reports of people successfully using Pre-Check lanes when international flights are on their itinerary the same day. However, it is apparently not supposed to happen, and does appear to be infrequent.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I assume that UK citizens is still only apply for GE if they have received an invitation?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
I received an invite, completed the form and submitted it a couple of weeks ago. My application is showing as "pending" on the website. Anyone know how long it typically takes before I get approval to arrange an interview?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Update.....still waiting. Anyone know how long this typically takes for a UK citizen? US nationals seem to get clearance for interview in less than 2 weeks. I've been waiting about 3 so far.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by nbevan
I assume that UK citizens is still only apply for GE if they have received an invitation?
Correct. You can go through the whole of the long online form and then right at the end it will ask you for a police reference number / application code. You will not be allowed to continue without these.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lolbert
Update.....still waiting. Anyone know how long this typically takes for a UK citizen? US nationals seem to get clearance for interview in less than 2 weeks. I've been waiting about 3 so far.
4 to 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.