Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Did you activate your Global Entry card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did you activate your Global Entry card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Question Did you activate your Global Entry card?

Perhaps I missed this along the way, but I never activated my Global Entry card and I learnt of the need for activation when I was reading about using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes.

I was also one of the first to receive a card (I was already a GE member) and I don't recall seeing anything about activating the card when I received it.

I'm curious: has everyone activated their cards?

I was well beyond 30 days but I was still able to activate my card at the link provided in the GE FAQ:

How do I activate my Global Entry card prior to use at NEXUS/SENTRI lanes?
A: Click here to activate your card within 30 days of receipt or you will be unable to use your card at the Trusted Traveler lanes. Follow the "Activate Membership Card" link and enter information from the back of your card. Further instructions can be found here.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I've activated mine.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Short answer - Yes

--J
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Well, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, no one yet has said, "Oh, you need to activate it?".
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jspira
Well, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, no one yet has said, "Oh, you need to activate it?".
I'll bet someone has said that when they reach the land entry and try to use it.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Thanks for the reminder! Got mine several month's ago and have been using the number for TSA pre-check only.

Due to go to GCM in November and would've been quite a surprise when coming back thru ATL when my Global Entry card wouldn't work.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I was not aware I had to activate mine.

And it's way past 30 days.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
I was not aware I had to activate mine.

And it's way past 30 days.
I have heard that it's possible to activate outside of the 30 days and the activation wil work. Try it!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I activated my nexus card after six months of being issued and I never had any problems so far using it.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Activation" is simply an anti-fraud measure. The card is mailed to the address which has been verified and the cardholder then needs access to the GOES website to "activate". No different than calling a toll-free # to activate a CC.

If for some reason, you have a problem, call the issuing GE center and they can reset.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:30 pm

came here to hear from someone else's recent experience - i got my cards a few weeks ago but there's absolutely nowhere that says "activate membership card" and no way to actually contact anyone...
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sickmint79
came here to hear from someone else's recent experience - i got my cards a few weeks ago but there's absolutely nowhere that says "activate membership card" and no way to actually contact anyone...
The activation link is available only on the GOES homepage. It disappears as soon as you log-in to your GOES account.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:05 pm

ah yes! thanks so much!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:47 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Maybe a little OT - but her it goes:

I went for my interview today, which went very smooth, took all of 10 minutes (amazing how many clicks a BCO can do during that time (or was he playing a game?) - Anyways, he had two questions: "Why do you want Global Entry" and "Have you ever been arrested". Answering those 2 questions satisfactorily, and after all the clicking on the screen, photo and fingerprinting, I was informed I was approved and would receive my card in 3-4 weeks.

But here is my question, arriving backl in my office I was notified by email to go into my GE account and review my "approval letter". informing me of the acceptance.

In the first paragraph of the letter it states: "You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new GE card"

In the next paragraph it states: "If you enrolled in GE, you may begin using the kiosk immediately ........ GE cards are not valid in the GE kiosks.

Which is it: You have to wait for your card before attempting to enter through a kiosk OR you can go ahead and do that now ("immediately") - and since you don't use the GE card at the kiosk anyways (allegedly). Couldn't ask the agent "interviewing" me as I hadn't seen this at that time, and there is nothing about this on the website listed in the letter "for full detailed information".

This is not a totally academic question as I am leaving for Central America through Atlnta tomorrow - and I would like to know if I can use the kiosk when returning in a week without having received the GE card or not.

Anyone knows?

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
In the next paragraph it states: "If you enrolled in GE, you may begin using the kiosk immediately
IIRC, you really don't use your GE card for anything (except confounding the TDC at the airport ), you use your passport and your passport got coded for GE when you were approved.

You got a "CBE" (I think that's the letters; don't have my PP on me) sticker before you left, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.