Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
CLEAR impacting vision?

Has anyone else experienced an impact to their vision from the CLEAR scan? If so, please PM me.

Last edited by pbjag; Jul 27, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
https://www.clearme.com/partner/lyft

As a Lyft rider, enjoy an exclusive free 3 month trial of CLEAR, plus a $20 airport ride credit with Lyft and a $50 credit with LoungeBuddy.
Fine print: "Benefits pursuant to this offer are limited to "New CLEAR Members". New CLEAR Members are new enrollments that do not have an existing CLEAR account on file."
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Majuki
1) I went through the full CLEAR fingerprint/boarding pass scan.
2) The CLEAR rep asked, "Do you have your ID?"
3) The CLEAR rep proceeded to take my phone and ID over to the TDC.
4) It took more than 30 seconds for the TSO to acknowledge the CLEAR rep. By that time my phone screen had timed out and locked.
5) I walked over to the CLEAR rep to unlock my phone.
6) The CLEAR rep scanned my mobile boarding pass on the TSA scanner, and the TSO compared my ID to the name on the display and looked my way to compare the photo.

If the system was down, why bother with the scan on the kiosk?
same type of thing is happening at SFO lately. One Clear agent says it's the extra security TSA is comparing at the moment along with the queue configuration changes too. She says " get a paper boarding pass and you won't have to show ID". So I did as lately I've been checking luggage. Now at the counter,nether pretend they can't print them as they ask for my mobile boarding pass along with my ID. ...!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
same type of thing is happening at SFO lately. One Clear agent says it's the extra security TSA is comparing at the moment along with the queue configuration changes too. She says " get a paper boarding pass and you won't have to show ID". So I did as lately I've been checking luggage. Now at the counter,nether pretend they can't print them as they ask for my mobile boarding pass along with my ID. ...!
I haven't flown out of SFO since I signed up for CLEAR a few months ago, but the paper boarding pass doesn't seem to make sense. I usually print a paper boarding pass in case my phone has any issues, but I have it buried inside my briefcase. A large part of the value of CLEAR along with Precheck is to be able to organize items in advance of the checkpoint to streamline the process. This is even more important as more of the Precheck checkpoints don't have the doggie bowls and gray bins. As a contrast to my experience at SJC, I merely flashed my mobile boarding pass to the TDC (no scan) at DTW on the return trip and didn't have to show ID.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Majuki
I haven't flown out of SFO since I signed up for CLEAR a few months ago, but the paper boarding pass doesn't seem to make sense. I usually print a paper boarding pass in case my phone has any issues, but I have it buried inside my briefcase. A large part of the value of CLEAR along with Precheck is to be able to organize items in advance of the checkpoint to streamline the process. This is even more important as more of the Precheck checkpoints don't have the doggie bowls and gray bins. As a contrast to my experience at SJC, I merely flashed my mobile boarding pass to the TDC (no scan) at DTW on the return trip and didn't have to show ID.

I agree completely with you. Maybe it's my "luck" but twice this month I've been in line at SFO and they've had the dog(s) sniffing people in the queues. Maybe this is just to "mix things up" a bit or just a tip and random checks. But it's when this occurs that I've been asked for my ID in addition to having the mobile pass or paper boarding pass by TSA.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm flying OZ out of LAX (TBIT) tomorrow. From what I can tell, CLEAR is in every other terminal? Should I just get the hotel shuttle to drop me at T4 so I can go through there?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm flying OZ out of LAX (TBIT) tomorrow. From what I can tell, CLEAR is in every other terminal? Should I just get the hotel shuttle to drop me at T4 so I can go through there?
According to the CLEAR "Where We Are" directory, they are at every terminal at LAX except for TBIT.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Originally Posted by TWA884
According to the CLEAR "Where We Are" directory, they are at every terminal at LAX except for TBIT.
Which means, yes, canadiancow can get dropped off at T4 to use CLEAR. If not Pre-Check eligible, I'm not sure if the time savings of walking from T4 to TBIT is actually worth it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Which means, yes, canadiancow can get dropped off at T4 to use CLEAR. If not Pre-Check eligible, I'm not sure if the time savings of walking from T4 to TBIT is actually worth it.
Asiana (OZ) is not a TSA Pre✓ participating airline. Using CLEAR will get @canadiancow to the head of the line at the TSA security checkpoint, a saving of at least 15-20 minutes and, depending on the time of day, possibly longer. The walk from T4 to TBIT takes <5 minutes.

In any event, @canadiancow's flight left on Saturday.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Biometrics provider now enables alcohol purchases at Seahawks and Mariners games

https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/06/cl...ariners-games/

Clear, the biometrics company you’ve probably seen at airports and at a few other prominent queues, is rolling out the capability to simultaneously verify your ID and pay for an alcoholic drink with your fingerprint. It’s only at Seattle’s CenturyLink and Safeco Fields (and only a handful of concessions stands at those), but if it’s successful you can bet we’ll be seeing more of it.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does anyone know if CLEAR is planning to come to Terminal B at LGA or Terminal D at MIA for the loyal American Airlines flyers?
SouthernCross and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Has anyone been having fingerprint issues lately? Both of my flights this week, the fingerprint scanner failed. Right hand, left hand, thumbs...none of them recognized me. I was able to get through using the eye scanner on all occasions, but even that was a little finnicky.

I don't think my hands were any cleaner/dirtier than they normally are. This is the first time in 3-4 years I've had any problems scanning.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

I used it at SJC Tuesday and had no problems. I tend to wipe the excess oil and/or sweat from my fingers before trying to use the machines, though.

(Also used it at AT&T Park the other day, too!)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I tend to wipe the excess oil and/or sweat from my fingers before trying to use the machines, though.
Interesting. The CLEAR scanners regularly have trouble reading my fingerprints, but staff gave me opposite advice about oil on the fingers: one staff member advised me to rub my fingertips on my forehead in order to pick up a little oil and make the prints more readable. Works sometimes, but I still have to use the iris scan most of the time.

(I have the same problem with restroom faucets that can't seem to see my hands. Guess I'm the wrong color.)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mglvrug
(I have the same problem with restroom faucets that can't seem to see my hands. Guess I'm the wrong color.)
FWIW, ditto

But yeah, the CLEAR machines are 100% as long as I wipe my fingers first; when I was registering the first time I hadn't done that and it was hard to get a read.

Now what doesn't work for me is the iris scan! I don't bother even trying it anymore- maybe its 'cause I wear contacts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.