Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Clear at SFO, MCO, and LAS are life savers and worth every penny every year. DFW is totally pointless and should just be shut down if that's the way they want to run it.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I don't understand CLEAR. It allows you to bypass the document check only, but I've never waited more than about 2-3 minutes for document check with TSA Pre. Maybe there are airports I don't travel through often where it is more congested.
If you are not a US citizen and/or don't want to take your ID out to show it has value aside from a quicker line.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
SJC, especially during the morning rush, is another of those airports where CLEAR definitely supplements PreCheck. They even cut you into the PC security line and walk your docs to the TDC for you while you continue to stay in line.

(I have yet to use CLEAR on "Dog and Pony Show" days, so I'm not sure if I get to bypass all that silliness as well yet.)
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:30 pm

I've only had CLEAR for a few weeks, but it's already saved me serious time at SFO and DEN. I fly through DEN all the time, and the Pre Check lines there are regularly quite long. And in the scheme of things, the cost of the CLEAR membership with the Delta discount is so minuscule I can't imagine not having it at this point. I'm just mad at myself for waiting so long to get it.

But obviously if it is't available or useful at the airports you go through, it's a waste.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My 2 month free trial has ended and CLEAR charged me the $179 fee automatically without sending an email 30 days in advance, which their own T&Cs say they do. I'm now going to chase them for a refund.

Personally I thought it was a neat service but its airport coverage is too limited for me to find enough value in it, even at the reduced price for Delta elites/CC holders. I used it at SFO, LGA, and DTW over my 2 months. Hell even here at IAH CLEAR is only at one checkpoint in Terminal A, and that checkpoint doesn't even have Precheck (there are 2 in Terminal A, 1 has Pre and 1 doesn't). If my travel picks up to require more visits to DEN, ATL, and places where even Pre can be a mess I'd probably re-enroll.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:54 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
But obviously if it is't available or useful at the airports you go through, it's a waste.
That's the core question. If your home airport and/or your frequent destinations have it, it can be very helpful; if not, there's no point. (Unless you get it for free as a DL DM or something.)

Looking at my (already flown + currently booked) 2018 travel, 14 of 20 (70%) journey segments have CLEAR. The only origin airports that don't have it are BOS (which I'm hoping gets it someday as a DL focus city), YOW (since it's not even in the US), and MSN (too small). If BOS had it, I'd be at 18 of 20 for a 90% hit rate. That's a bunch of departures from SEA plus trips coming back from DTW, MSP, DEN, SFO, and SJC.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Twice in the last week I had to show my ID and get my boarding pass scanned at the TSA podium. The Clear rep told me something like 1/4 are having to do this. Anyone else experience this ?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:59 pm

Twice at SJC. Didn't have to get out of line in PC, the CLEAR reps walked my phone and ID up.

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 25, 2018 at 8:32 pm Reason: Opinion/commentary better left for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ellinj
Twice in the last week I had to show my ID and get my boarding pass scanned at the TSA podium. The Clear rep told me something like 1/4 are having to do this. Anyone else experience this ?
I was told 1 in 5 Also may not have 100% understood but it sounded like rescans are more likely (or exclusively?) requested for mobile BPs instead of paper. I've never paid attention to any potential correlation before so can't remember how plausible this is.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
Anyone else have trouble with Clear at MCO. At MCO the id check is long, but so is line for security AFTER id check. Clear used to take you direct to front of security (which is what they promise). BUT last time I used clear at MCO, just bypassed id line and had to stand in LONG security line. Anyone else have this? Thoughts? THANK YOU!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:02 am

Similar at SFO recently. Got me past the ID check (which is 95% of the way there), but not to the head of the fairly small line after the ID check.

I suspect negative feedback from other passengers would be higher if you take a CLEAR customer to the front of a post-ID check line rather than just taking the CLEAR customer past the ID check. When you take someone past the ID check, you are taking them past a step that they can skip - the ID check. If you take someone to the front of the line after the ID check, they are basically cutting into the line for the same security check that all of the other passengers have to pass.

Originally Posted by MCOSWAFlyer
Anyone else have trouble with Clear at MCO. At MCO the id check is long, but so is line for security AFTER id check. Clear used to take you direct to front of security (which is what they promise). BUT last time I used clear at MCO, just bypassed id line and had to stand in LONG security line. Anyone else have this? Thoughts? THANK YOU!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Similar at SFO recently. Got me past the ID check (which is 95% of the way there), but not to the head of the fairly small line after the ID check.

I suspect negative feedback from other passengers would be higher if you take a CLEAR customer to the front of a post-ID check line rather than just taking the CLEAR customer past the ID check. When you take someone past the ID check, you are taking them past a step that they can skip - the ID check. If you take someone to the front of the line after the ID check, they are basically cutting into the line for the same security check that all of the other passengers have to pass.
I miss that aspect of CLEAR as well. Back when I first used them in their first incarnation at SJC in the 2008-2009 timeframe (before they shutdown and came back alive in the current form), they would walk you to the front of the line to where the xray table started and help you with putting bags onto the belt. It was a true line cutting service. Sure we would get plenty of nasty looks but people just accepted that it was a premium service. I wish they would bring that aspect back.

I sincerely hope they aren't making these decisions based upon negative feedback from other passengers (i.e., non-CLEAR members) -- why should randoms have a say in how CLEAR processes their paying members?
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:28 pm

Because if CLEAR is pissing off non-CLEAR members on a regular basis, who then complain to the airport(s), in theory it could pressure airports not to renew the CLEAR contract.

CLEAR got its head in the tent by initially promoting itself as a trusted traveler service, with plans for lighter checks before TSA-Pre. The trusted traveler thing never happened, but by then CLEAR had wormed its way into various airports.

If it had started out as simply a line-cutting service, it might never have gotten approval.

Originally Posted by brosnan6

-- why should randoms have a say in how CLEAR processes their paying members?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
... in their first incarnation at SJC ... they would walk you to the front of the line to where the xray table started
They still do that @ SJC (as of last week, anyway). They'll bump me straight to the X-Ray table in the PreCheck line then walk my BP/Phone (and lately, ID) over to the TDC for me so I don't lose my place.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by MCOSWAFlyer
Same in Miami. Even worse, TSA pre is usually closed on Thursday Evenings, so you'll get in the back of the line where TSApre (with blue slip) and non-TSApre passengers wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.