Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:12 am

Question discounted membership rates for CLEAR

CLEAR offers discounted membership rates to Delta SkyMiles members.

Any AA lurkers know if/when we might see some love?

Last edited by SouthernCross; Mar 19, 2018 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd guess that DL has an exclusive with CLEAR and would be surprised if they were to have any special offers for AA
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I don't understand CLEAR. It allows you to bypass the document check only, but I've never waited more than about 2-3 minutes for document check with TSA Pre. Maybe there are airports I don't travel through often where it is more congested.
Nexpoman likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I don't understand CLEAR. It allows you to bypass the document check only, but I've never waited more than about 2-3 minutes for document check with TSA Pre. Maybe there are airports I don't travel through often where it is more congested.
This is my experience as well, though ATL Thursday afternoons were long last time I flew through there regularly, but never more than 5-10 minutes. I've also heard MCO and LAS can be different animals, but I'm also never at either place enough to make $99/year worthwhile.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I guess I'm slightly more price insensitive, but Clear has saved me a ton of time at LGA (no longer applicable), LAS, MCO and DEN, with DEN often being a total ***show much of the time in pre-check. It really depends on how many people queue up between the ID check and the bag machine. LAX and ATL are also helpful.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL subsidizes CLEAR. There is absolutely no way that the deal isn't an exclusive because that would make the DL-CLEAR deal close to valueless.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
That's not my experience. CLEAR is awesome and saved me a ton of waiting. If only they would add ORD.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Often1
DL subsidizes CLEAR.
I think DL formally calls it an investment, but it may well be a subsidy in reality Either way, the DL affinity pricing is likely exclusive as long as DL is a shareholder.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
If you have an American Express card, check your "Amex Offers". Mine currently has one where I would get reminbursed $100 if I paid the $179, making it the same rate as the Skymiles bonus. That would only work for one year.

I'd rather pay $100 every 5 for Global Entry and enjoy TSA Pre, which is better than just skipping the doc check line.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Just join Delta Skymiles and get the $99 discounted rate for the base membership level.

Personally, I find CLEAR useless at DFW, but invaluable at SEA.
CKDGM and kit125 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by Phasers
Personally, I find CLEAR useless at DFW
Same. If CLEAR was available at all TSA PreCheck locations at DFW I would have signed up already.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Clear doesn't work for me in PHL. Oddly enough, ORD shuts down Pre√ at around 7pm, forcing you into the cattle chute. Does this happen anywhere else. Do airports that have Clear shut down early as well?

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Mar 19, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Score8
I guess I'm slightly more price insensitive, but Clear has saved me a ton of time at LGA (no longer applicable), LAS, MCO and DEN, with DEN often being a total ***show much of the time in pre-check. It really depends on how many people queue up between the ID check and the bag machine. LAX and ATL are also helpful.
+1

I've also found it useful at DCA on the rare occasion when the line is way backed up (usually there's no line at all when I'm there, but sometimes the precheck line is 50 deep and there's never anyone in the clear line). It's worth the $99/year for near certainty that I can always show up at DCA at T-20 and make the flight.
Score8 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
While the DL discounts on CLEAR are deeper the higher the status you have, you are still afforded savings with a SkyMiles account unassociated with elite status. So it's definitely worth signing up for Delta's FFP if you have no other way to lessen CLEAR's cost.

I travel out of MCO regularly and CLEAR is a lifesaver, as has been mentioned on this thread. Pre document check at Orlando can sometimes be four lines, 20 people deep each. And a few months ago at LAX CLEAR also was a big timesaver.

Any time CLEAR sends a survey I beg and plead for more terminal coverage at DFW.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
amex had a 75 off deal not that long ago i still couldn't justify it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.