Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:44 am

Has anyone tried paying the CLEAR 99$ annual renewal fees using one of the AMEx cards (eg Amex Premier Gold) that offer $100 Airline Fee Credit? Does anyone know if the CLEAR annual fees would come under one of the categories of Airline Fee Credit?

For Reference: . Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the eligible Card account by select U.S. headquartered airlines. Currently, such U.S. headquartered airlines are: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Allegiant Air, and Virgin America.

Incidental air travel fees include charges from the airline such as baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food and beverage purchases, airport lounge day-passes, pet-kennel fee, and phone reservation fees. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. Airlines must submit the incidental air travel fees separate from airline ticket charges and under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be recognized as an incidental air travel fee.

Last edited by oakland; Jan 17, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:52 am

I haven't - and I suspect there would be no credit as it is not an airline.

But, more importantly - why would anyone who is a Flyertalk member pay $179, when you can join Skymiles and as a base member pay only $99? See CLEAR partnership helps Delta expand efforts to ease security lines at Atlanta airport | Delta News Hub

Originally Posted by oakland
Has anyone tried paying the CLEAR 179$ annual renewal fees using one of the AMEx cards (eg Amex Premier Gold) that offer $100 Airline Fee Credit? Does anyone know if the CLEAR annual fees would come under one of the categories of Airline Fee Credit?

For Reference: . Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the eligible Card account by select U.S. headquartered airlines. Currently, such U.S. headquartered airlines are: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Allegiant Air, and Virgin America.

Incidental air travel fees include charges from the airline such as baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food and beverage purchases, airport lounge day-passes, pet-kennel fee, and phone reservation fees. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. Airlines must submit the incidental air travel fees separate from airline ticket charges and under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be recognized as an incidental air travel fee.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I haven't - and I suspect there would be no credit as it is not an airline.

But, more importantly - why would anyone who is a Flyertalk member pay $179, when you can join Skymiles and as a base member pay only $99? See CLEAR partnership helps Delta expand efforts to ease security lines at Atlanta airport Delta News Hub

Yea. Sorry. Mis-quoted the price. Edited post to reflect the 99$ fees. My understanding was that if they reimburse for an airport lounge, airport-based service CLEAR might get classified similarly too. The 99$ annual fee, nicely fits into the 100$ annual credit. Also, if one is applying to clearme through the Delta portal, would it not get charged as a Delta (or it's subsidiary) charge?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't believe you need to be a US citizen. The original Clear required a background check. The current one appears to be no more than a pay-to-skip-the-line service.
So answering my own question, you don't need to be a US citizen or PR. I did my in person enrollment on Saturday and there's a drop down menu to select country of citizenship after they scan your ID.

Used it for the first time here at SFO today. Pretty slick. I am on a 2 month free trial to test it out and then see if I want to keep it at $79/yr.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oakland
Yea. Sorry. Mis-quoted the price. Edited post to reflect the 99$ fees. My understanding was that if they reimburse for an airport lounge, airport-based service CLEAR might get classified similarly too. The 99$ annual fee, nicely fits into the 100$ annual credit. Also, if one is applying to clearme through the Delta portal, would it not get charged as a Delta (or it's subsidiary) charge?
It will be charged by clear.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Amex $100 Clear promo offer ($79 statement credit)

Checked my Amex offers for my PRG card and saw Clear come up. The offer is $79 statement credit for the $179 membership fee. I've had emailed offers from Clear to come back to them, been over two years since I was a member, that were better but for a new member or someone not getting offers it isn't a bad offer.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:21 pm
Original Member

You get the same price with Delta.
Rd3 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Actually it's $1 less with a Skymiles #.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:23 pm

With Delta the most you pay is $99 per year for each year (less if you are Delta Elite.)

The Amex offer is a one-time credit, so you are back to full price the second year.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee
Actually it's $1 less with a Skymiles #.
But $80 less in CC spend
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
But $80 less in CC spend
Does CLEAR count for travel for any of the providers? My fee on my Sapphire Reserve just posted as 1%.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Does CLEAR count for travel for any of the providers? My fee on my Sapphire Reserve just posted as 1%.
I doubt it. My data point is that $50 for an additional family member did not qualify for the $300 CSR travel credit.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Member

No it does not.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I love these questions. I mean not to be rude but why would it matter? I have already burned through my $300 in TCs and January isn't even over. Pretty much anything that has any relation to travel is counted including air, hotel and car rental charges, and it is hard to believe that anyone on FT would not have $300 per year in travel expenses. CSR is completely different from the very limited "airline fee" rebate that many cards offer which may only cover baggage fees, IFE, change fees, etc.

Note: Visited SLC a couple of weeks ago and was distressed to see "Clear coming soon" in the WN terminal but apparently already up and running at the DL terminal. So Clear sent me a tweet indicating that SLC will be up and running in all terminals before this week - which is good news if anyone can verify.

Now we just need to see an investment at OAK and I will be very happy!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
But if you're a family doing 3 memberships, of $99+2 other members at $50 you get the other two for $29.

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
With Delta the most you pay is $99 per year for each year (less if you are Delta Elite.)

The Amex offer is a one-time credit, so you are back to full price the second year.
Bingo
Originally Posted by Zorak
But $80 less in CC spend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.