Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:40 am

ESpen36 I don't have any of those issues.

When I applied for Global Entry earlier this year, my application was approved in about 10 days. So, I can only assume the Canadians are slowing it down.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Depends on several factors that might complicate your background investigation. These factors could include:

- do you have extensive foreign travel on your record during the past five years? Any "unfriendly" countries such as in the Middle East?
- do you have many different addresses and/or employment over the past five years?
- any interactions with law enforcement, especially arrests, charges, convictions, etc? (Remember that a DUI is likely to make you ineligible for NEXUS, even if it happened decades ago)

Also, the delay might be a result of sequestration.

Keep checking your GOES account and watch for status updates.
None of these is an issue for me.

There is no reason why I shouldn't be approved by CBP and CBSA. Likely, it's a combination of applicants applying to GE/Nexus to get Precheck and sequestration.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
When my girlfriend renewed early last year, they took until 1 week before the maximum. When I applied in January 2010, it took about a week.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Question Iris Scan - Delay Processing?

I'm thinking about applying for nexus with the hope of being interviewed at the Detroit site (hours are better than DTW and CVG Global Entry locations).

It mentions that US locations do not have an iris scanner.
Will not having the iris scan delay processing/completion of my card?

THANKS
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
I'm thinking about applying for nexus with the hope of being interviewed at the Detroit site (hours are better than DTW and CVG Global Entry locations).

THANKS
If you're thinking of applying, apply. I've been waiting nearly 5 weeks for my conditional approval. It's $50 for Nexus (w/ GE) vs. $100 for GE only. However, if you've been convicted of any criminal offenses, including DUI, Canada will reject your app outright.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AS, GE/NEXUS, Starbucks Gold
Well, I suppose I won't be holding my breath. My guess is that it's a combination of factors described above: dual background checks by Canada and the United States, as well as our "little" problem with the sequestration.

Neither my wife nor myself have anything in our background(s) that should raise suspicions, although I don't know the depth to which these background checks go.

We've both traveled quite a bit (GE is the other motivating factor for applying to Nexus), but to nowhere unfriendly (unless you consider Iceland or Thailand to be hostile!).

Would be cool if GOES could provide more detailed status information. Oh well! I'll just keep up with my obsessive checking. :-)

Cheers!

Edit: Just saw the remark that somebody's GE application only took 10 days recently, so that definitely supports the Canadian hypothesis. My understanding is that they are interesting in traffic infractions, so some of the added time may involve pulling a driving record abstract. Haven't had a ticket since I turned 16, and now need to drive carefully until I'm approved.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by Billiken

THANKS
The "no iris scanner" at the Ambassador Bridge does not affect Nexus approval time. As an aside, about 6 months after we got our Nexus cards in 2011 we went to visit friends in Toronto (4 hour drive from Detroit) and we made a quick stop at Pearson Airport (YYZ), which is right off Highway 401, and just walked in (no appointment needed) to the enrollment center (it's outside security) and had our iris' scanned so now we can use our Nexus cards if we fly into Canada.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:38 am

"Trusted Traveler Program" changed to "Nexus"

I checked GOES just now, and for the "Program" field, "Trusted Traveler Program" changed to "Nexus." In addition, I think an "Apply for FAST" button appeared. I am still "Pending Review," though. I wonder if this is a sign of progress, or a sitewide programming change?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by uwskier25
I checked GOES just now, and for the "Program" field, "Trusted Traveler Program" changed to "Nexus." In addition, I think an "Apply for FAST" button appeared. I am still "Pending Review," though. I wonder if this is a sign of progress, or a sitewide programming change?
I just checked mine and I have the same thing.

What is the FAST program?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by sbudaj

I think it's for commercial truckers, mostly.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:24 am

Received conditional approval.

I just received conditional approval. Took a little over 6 weeks.

However, the soonest interview I can get in the Seattle area is in October. Yikes! I scheduled mine, but will be trolling for earlier openings...

EDIT: After some obsessive checking, I was able to land an interview in Blaine, WA on Monday. So it pays off to be OCD. Looks like wait times elsewhere in the country are better, though.

My wife hasn't gotten her approval yet, though she applied a couple hours after I did. Now, to look for time slots for her...

Last edited by uwskier25; Jun 27, 2013 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by uwskier25
I just received conditional approval. Took a little over 6 weeks.

However, the soonest interview I can get in the Seattle area is in October. Yikes! I scheduled mine, but will be trolling for earlier openings...

EDIT: After some obsessive checking, I was able to land an interview in Blaine, WA on Monday. So it pays off to be OCD. Looks like wait times elsewhere in the country are better, though.

My wife hasn't gotten her approval yet, though she applied a couple hours after I did. Now, to look for time slots for her...
This provides some light at the end of the tunnel as I'm coming up to the 6 week mark.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbudaj
I just checked mine and I have the same thing.

FAST stands for Free and Secure Trade program. It is used for commmercial shipments.

FB

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...traveler/fast/
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:40 pm

5 weeks today. Still "pending review" .

Hopefully soon!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Remember two factors:

1) huge increase in applications to NEXUS and GE because these programs grant PreCheck privileges to US and CAN citizens

2) sequester means government is operating at a slower pace, including processing applications for GE and NEXUS (US side of things)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.