Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Processing Timelines

NEXUS First Time Applications Processing Timelines

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Wiki Link
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11
39 business days as of 2018-11-30
35 business days as of 2018-09-06
32 business days as of 2018-06-26
20 business days as of 2018-04-13
20 business days as of 2018-02-28
18 business days as of 2018-01-29
18 business days as of 2018-01-22
23 business days as of 2017-12-14
26 business days as of 2017-10-05
60 business days as of 2017-07-12
65 business days as of 2017-07-04
71 business days as of 2017-05-31
51 business days as of 2017-03-31
47 business days as of 2017-02-28
32 business days as of 2016-12-31
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 17, 16, 11:01 am
  #676  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,594
Originally Posted by Rirruto View Post
Going on 4+ weeks (applied 5/18) with no updates for my family's 3 applications.
Same here. Applied MAY 23 and have been GE member for more than a year. Still no update.
seawolf is offline  
Old Jun 19, 16, 10:04 pm
  #677  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,105
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Same here. Applied MAY 23 and have been GE member for more than a year. Still no update.
Applied May 13 here, no updated yet.
invalyd is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 11:56 am
  #678  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,594
Still no update from May NEXUS applications. Perhaps CBSA went on vacation.

The GE process time thread indicates people being approved in a timely manner.
seawolf is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 12:50 pm
  #679  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,774
Add me to the list of mid-May applicants still waiting at "Pending Review" for NEXUS.
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 2:59 pm
  #680  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
May app, no approval

Applied in May for my family of 5, and still says "pending review". Kids leave on trip July 25 and had high hopes since my local border crossings don't have a wait for interviews. I didn't expect this long of a wait for the initial review.
sbeets is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 3:54 pm
  #681  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 86,352
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Still no update from May NEXUS applications. Perhaps CBSA went on vacation.

The GE process time thread indicates people being approved in a timely manner.
Timely processing now for GE? The processing time doubled or tripled during about the last month, as apparently they got lots of applications in response to the long lines for TSA security.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 4:00 pm
  #682  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,105
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Timely processing now for GE? The processing time doubled or tripled during about the last month, as apparently they got lots of applications in response to the long lines for TSA security.
My girlfriend applied for GE 2 weeks after I applied for Nexus. She got approval in a week, interview scheduled within a few days and already has her GE card in hand.
Meanwhile, I'm still pending review.
invalyd is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 5:38 pm
  #683  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,594
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Timely processing now for GE? The processing time doubled or tripled during about the last month, as apparently they got lots of applications in response to the long lines for TSA security.
Last couple of entries in GE processing thread is about 3 weeks which is about the processing time 5 years ago. Not sure what the typical time is/was last couple of monthsyears.
seawolf is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 9:37 pm
  #684  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SFO
Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Posts: 5,018
Originally Posted by sbeets View Post
Applied in May for my family of 5, and still says "pending review". Kids leave on trip July 25 and had high hopes since my local border crossings don't have a wait for interviews. I didn't expect this long of a wait for the initial review.
Welcome to FT. My stats for NEXUS

11 Jan 2016 Applied online
25 Jan 2016 Received conditional approval
6 Feb 2016 Interviewed at 1611 Main Street, Vancouver, B.C. after numerous searches. Initial appointment was 4 months out
12 Feb 2016 Received NEXUS card

With recent huge wave of new applications, it has been taking longer than my 2 weeks for conditional approval. I do have valid Global Entry which may or may not make a difference.

As long as you receive your conditional approval before 25 July, you can schedule your appointments ASAP. There is a short wait to receive your physical NEXUS card after you receive your final approval. Good luck and let us know your final result.
1KChinito is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 10:10 am
  #685  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, IHG, Marriott, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
My girlfriend applied for GE 2 weeks after I applied for Nexus. She got approval in a week, interview scheduled within a few days and already has her GE card in hand.
Meanwhile, I'm still pending review.
I am having the same frustration. I applied for NEXUS on May 16 and my wife on May 18. She was conditionally approved a week later and has her appointment.

I just called the CBSA line and the recorded message indicates the average processing time for NEXUS is eight (8) weeks!

Last edited by SnowDude; Jun 23, 16 at 10:28 am
SnowDude is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 10:23 am
  #686  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
I know we aren't applying for Pre-Check (directly) but this article this morning has some insight on the rush and delays to get approved. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/us...ity-lines.html
Rirruto is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 10:26 am
  #687  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, IHG, Marriott, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Posts: 10
Exclamation Processing time (8) eight weeks!

I just called the CBSA line and the recorded message indicates the average processing time for NEXUS is eight (8) weeks!
SnowDude is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 10:29 am
  #688  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,774
Originally Posted by SnowDude View Post
I just called the CBSA line and the recorded message indicates the average processing time for NEXUS is eight (8) weeks!
Thank you for the update. Only 3 more weeks to go for many of us then . However, isn't 8 weeks the legal requirement they have? That an application must be responded to sooner than 8 weeks after submission?
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 10:33 am
  #689  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,594
Originally Posted by Rirruto View Post
I know we aren't applying for Pre-Check (directly) but this article this morning has some insight on the rush and delays to get approved. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/us...ity-lines.html
My guess is issue is on CBSA side. As we know CBP evaluates continued trusted traveler participation every day by searching various law enforcement databases, I'm guessing not much involved in terms of CBP processing our NEXUS applications as my spouse and kids have been GE members for quite some time.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Thank you for the update. Only 3 more weeks to go for many of us then . However, isn't 8 weeks the legal requirement they have? That an application must be responded to sooner than 8 weeks after submission?
There were several data points prior to May that NEXUS was processed within 3-4 weeks even for new applicants. Something must have been happening starting in May resulting in these delays.
seawolf is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 10:37 am
  #690  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,774
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
There were several data points prior to May that NEXUS was processed within 3-4 weeks even for new applicants. Something must have been happening starting in May resulting in these delays.
The big TSA lines, as well as a lot of people renewing passports in the USA. 9-10 years ago was the time when passports began to be required for going USA to Canada; a lot of those passports are expiring soon. Guessing some people in either (or both) situations might also be applying for NEXUS at the same time.
TheBOSman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: