Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by surreycrv
Canadians pays in Canadian dollars , Americans pay in American dollars. With a paper application.

This is nothing new, special baggage fees to the Airlines are also country specific currency. A bicycle for example is $50USD, or $50 CAD or 50 or 50 depending on where you depart
Why would someone then be charged $65 Canadian then? Are they Americans sending paper applications to Canada and then being charged $50USD by a Canadian institution, so then becoming $65 CAD???
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
Maybe. Seeing as you mail it to Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada, and it does indeed list as $US or $Can... The only option for an American to pay in $Can is with a money order.

Reading and comprehension does appear to be a dying art form.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by surreycrv
Canadians pays in Canadian dollars , Americans pay in American dollars. With a paper application.

This is nothing new, special baggage fees to the Airlines are also country specific currency. A bicycle for example is $50USD, or $50 CAD or 50 or 50 depending on where you depart
Maybe I forgot to mention but I am a Canadian citizen, thus my surprise. The fee was charged to my Canadian credit card.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by LC USC
Maybe I forgot to mention but I am a Canadian citizen, thus my surprise. The fee was charged to my Canadian credit card.
I would try to contact them. Not a huge $ issue, but they either need to update the application and web or they have a broken process. You might save some others having the same issue.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, HHonnors, Marriott, Hertz Gold, Enterprise Plus
Original App 9/24/15
Conditional Approval 11/10/15
Original Appt - 3/10/15 - Tough to book in Seattle
New appt date after work travel schedule forced a change - 3/14/16 in Blaine
Approval email - 3/14/16 - about 4 hours after I left the appt
Received card - 3/21/16

This was for a new card, not a renewal. Sucked having to go on a two hour drive, but will save a lot of time in the long run.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:13 am

How long is the waiting time at YYC/ I am looking at applying for NEXUS card. I have 5 weeks before the trip. Will that be enough to get the approval, interview and the card. I am at YYC. If conditionally approved and the interview is to be schedule but not in time before the trip, what is the allowed waiting time for it. I will be away for few months.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
How long is the waiting time at YYC/ I am looking at applying for NEXUS card. I have 5 weeks before the trip. Will that be enough to get the approval, interview and the card. I am at YYC. If conditionally approved and the interview is to be schedule but not in time before the trip, what is the allowed waiting time for it. I will be away for few months.
I have an appointment scheduled for next week in Ontario and logged into my account to see availability for Calgary for you. The location I opened was Calgary Enrollment Center 2000 Airport Road and it was showing me the next available appointment was 9/20. That's not a typo. Maybe someone else can confirm that.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I have an appointment scheduled for next week in Ontario and logged into my account to see availability for Calgary for you. The location I opened was Calgary Enrollment Center 2000 Airport Road and it was showing me the next available appointment was 9/20. That's not a typo. Maybe someone else can confirm that.
Thanks for checking. I guess I will be back by then. So I should apply and have it for the next trip. I understand the scheduling needs to be done within 30 days of conditional approval. What is the latest availability that they have? How does the online application process the attached documents they ask for? Or should just use the post?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:35 pm

Thanks for checking. I guess I will be back by then. So I should apply and have it for the next trip. I understand the scheduling needs to be done within 30 days of conditional approval. What is the latest availability that they have? How does the online application process the attached documents they ask for? Or should just use the post?

They only show availability at that center through the end of September. You have to schedule within the 30 days but I believe you can reschedule if you to an earlier date, if you can find a cancellation. I think you can also move it out but I'm not certain how far.

I applied online and there was no documents I needed to send related to the initial application. I am supposed to bring my initial approval letter, passport and possibly some other proof of address next week.

FYI: The center in Sweetgrass, MT shows availability on 3/29. I realize it's 4 hours away. I'm a little lucky that while I have to drive at least 2+ hours to 3 different options, the closest to me had one available a few weeks ahead of the others. I actually had to schedule mine a little later than the first available so my wife could go at the same time.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
They only show availability at that center through the end of September. You have to schedule within the 30 days but I believe you can reschedule if you to an earlier date, if you can find a cancellation. I think you can also move it out but I'm not certain how far.

I applied online and there was no documents I needed to send related to the initial application. I am supposed to bring my initial approval letter, passport and possibly some other proof of address next week.

FYI: The center in Sweetgrass, MT shows availability on 3/29. I realize it's 4 hours away. I'm a little lucky that while I have to drive at least 2+ hours to 3 different options, the closest to me had one available a few weeks ahead of the others. I actually had to schedule mine a little later than the first available so my wife could go at the same time.
Thanks again for all the info. Can you possibly check Edmonton for me.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:02 pm

Thanks again for all the info. Can you possibly check Edmonton for me.

Edmonton 9/6/2016. (That's September
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Call fom CBSA?

Hello,

Anyone here receive a call from CBSA about a Nexus application they have already made (that's in process).
Approved for GE already.

Last edited by slumb3r; Mar 28, 2016 at 5:10 pm Reason: No Replies - Going to refine question
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:59 am

Applied on: February 28th
Received Conditional Approval: March 8th
Interview Lansdowne, ON: 4/1 (Could have scheduled a little earlier)
Approval: 4/1/2016
Card Received: 4/8/2016
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:10 pm

Applied March 25th. No word yet.
Conditional Approval: April 10th, 2016
Interview : October 11, 2016
The center in Sweetgrass, MT shows availability in April but it does not provide iris scans. No good if going through airports.Checking every so often to see last minutes cancellation to make it before my next trip. If can not find it this week, then this trip is regular. Is there a way to expedite this deal?

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Apr 12, 2016 at 9:05 am
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Approved for GE: Q2 2013
Applied for Nexus: March 8th, 2016
Conditional Approval: March 14th, 2016 (four business days after applying).
Interview & Approval: April 12th, 2016 (originally had one on April 5th but didn't end up traveling last week) @ YUL. I did try to ask if there were any cancellations yesterday (my arrival into Canada) and was told, no walk-ins.

The room is on the west side of the international arrival halls (you can use a compass on your phone, or alternatively, walk to the right after getting fully through Canadian customs - the outside sections near the airport are labeled A, B, C, D, etc... you want to walk down the alphabet). There's an overhead sign that will direct you to the room. It's locked at all times, just knock/ring the bell and then stand in front of the glass. Take a number and sit down. I used the short term parking (which is fairly expensive, topping out at $35 CAD a day - which I did while I was there but it is a 1-4 minute walk from the terminal).

I was seen in a relatively timely fashion. When my number was called I handed over my conditional approval letter, appointment scheduling printout, passport, GE Card, drivers license, and supporting documentation (Canadian work permit). Told to sit back down. Get interviewed by CBSA. Since I was already approved for GE I guess they didn't ask me anything of substance - I was asked for the iris scan, and given a quick walkthrough of the program, then asked if I had any questions about the NEXUS. Sent back out to waiting room.

Few minutes later I was called in by US CBP. They took my documentation, asked me about primary purpose for travel, what I did for a living, and where I live. Fairly friendly and less questioning than my GE application from three years ago. They captured a new ID photo and took my fingerprints (I thought it odd since they already have them on file...) and sent me on my way. Approval email from GOES came about a half hour after I was done.

The CBP officer told me that my GE card is valid up until my NEXUS card arrives and is activated. I'm not sure about that given what I've read online, but it shouldn't matter since you don't use the GE cards at the airport kiosks and I don't plan on any land or sea border crossings in the near future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.