FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1477693-nexus-first-time-applications-information-processing-timelines.html)

SEA1K4EVR May 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 18458955)
Well that's discouraging. I am already an approved Global Entry member and applied to add Nexus at the GOES site on 3/26. It's still "pending review". Ridiculous that it's taking so long.

Finally today I got conditional approval for Nexus. Earliest interview available at the Seattle Enrollment Center is July 19th. Yikes.

Ready2Go May 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 18662069)
Finally today I got conditional approval for Nexus. Earliest interview available at the Seattle Enrollment Center is July 19th. Yikes.

Just keep watching for openings. People who need to change their interview dates often do so just a few days in advance. And there's no waiting list, so openings just appear in real time, first come, first served. I wanted to do my interview at YVR, and at first was looking at a 3-month wait. But within a couple of days I snagged an opening that was less than a week away.

MissJoeyDFW May 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Check the website frequently. I had the same thing happen, the only available appointment was several weeks out. I kept checking and found an opening for the following week.

SEA1K4EVR May 30, 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW (Post 18663438)
Check the website frequently. I had the same thing happen, the only available appointment was several weeks out. I kept checking and found an opening for the following week.

Yeah I thought of that but the catch is I submitted an application for my mom on the same day (she was also conditionally approved yesterday) and we are going to our interviews together (15 minutes apart). So I'd have to find 2 earlier appointments at the same time. We have no travel to Canada planned in the interim so I can wait til July.

mnbp Sep 3, 2012 7:07 pm

Recent Nexus timeline:
  • Applied first week of July 2012.
  • Conditional approval second week of August.
  • Interview at land crossing within a few days - one of those land crossings with no waits for appointments. Approved. Nexus card arrives in mail four business days later.
  • Normal (non-Nexus) entry to YVR for weekend visit.
  • Visit YVR Nexus office for iris photo, walk up - no wait.
  • Returning to US, used Nexus card at YVR to skip long line for security and GE machine to skip long line for US customs. As often reported here, when GE and Nexus machines are both available, GE machines are much faster.

Very cool!

SEA1K4EVR Sep 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy (Post 19296816)
Well, I posted the question here today, and then I got an approval notice today ^

I don't need to go to have an interview or anything for NEXUS :p

It says "If you enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately. Global Entry cards are only issued to Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents or Mexican Nationals (who are not current SENTRI members). Global Entry cards are not valid at the Global Entry kiosks."

I've been using GE and it was attached to my NEXUS membership before the renewal.
Do I still need to re-enroll GE??? I tried online, but there is no choice for GE...
Does that mean GE is also extended another 5 years?

When you login to GOES you'll see the link for Trusted Traveler Program, your PASSID number, and the renewal date.. that is your new expiration date. Click on the Trusted Traveler Program link and right at the top it should say Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri..all will share that same renewal date.

Great to know that the hassle of the interview is not required for renewal..at least for now.

MrJBoy Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 19297275)
When you login to GOES you'll see the link for Trusted Traveler Program, your PASSID number, and the renewal date.. that is your new expiration date. Click on the Trusted Traveler Program link and right at the top it should say Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri..all will share that same renewal date.

Great to know that the hassle of the interview is not required for renewal..at least for now.

I have three logos (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) there. Does that mean I can use Sentri as well?

I'm waiting for my new NENUX card to activate it.

14940674 Sep 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy (Post 19304044)
I have three logos (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) there. Does that mean I can use Sentri as well?

I'm waiting for my new NENUX card to activate it.

I believe that you can clear SENTRI on foot using your NEXUS card; however, if you want to use SENTRI with an automobile, you will need to have it inspected by CBP.

skywalkerLAX Sep 12, 2012 9:20 pm

I have read through it multiple times now but am not really smarter than before.

A friend wants to sign up for both Global Entry and NEXUS. What should he select for the GOES pre-approval?

I'm only eligible for GE so doesn't apply to me unfortunately (I would love to have NEXUS for the purpose of entering Canada)...

Thanks!

MrJBoy Sep 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 19305390)
I have read through it multiple times now but am not really smarter than before.

A friend wants to sign up for both Global Entry and NEXUS. What should he select for the GOES pre-approval?

I'm only eligible for GE so doesn't apply to me unfortunately (I would love to have NEXUS for the purpose of entering Canada)...

Thanks!

NEXUS. GE doesn't come with NEXUS, but NEXUS does come with GE (and Sentri?)
Also, NENUS application fee is $50 instead of GE $100 fee.
I'm talking about all air travel.
I don't cross a country by vehicle, so I don't know about it...

skywalkerLAX Sep 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy (Post 19305840)
NEXUS. GE doesn't come with NEXUS, but NEXUS does come with GE (and Sentri?)
Also, NENUS application fee is $50 instead of GE $100 fee.
I'm talking about all air travel.
I don't cross a country by vehicle, so I don't know about it...

Thanks! I will meet him tomorrow and help with the GOES App.

He is Canadian Citizen so it should be a straight forward process providing he doesn't have a dark past I don't know about. :p

MrJBoy Sep 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 19305878)
Thanks! I will meet him tomorrow and help with the GOES App.

He is Canadian Citizen so it should be a straight forward process providing he doesn't have a dark past I don't know about. :p

Yep, Canadian citizen NEXUS members have GE access.

fied1k Sep 18, 2012 7:33 am

Applied 8/31/12

Conditional Approval 9/17/12

First appointment date available anywhere within 5 hours of Rochester, NY 9/28/12 at Buffalo/Niagra

Not bad though I will keep checking.

fied1k Oct 5, 2012 9:07 am

Applied 8/31/12
Conditional Approval 9/17/12
Interview 9/28/12
Additional info faxed in 10/4/12
Approved 10/5
Received card 10/9 (10/8 was a mail holiday)

The letter had a return address from Niagra/Whirpool office. I guess they send it from there instead of Willison, Vt now? Maybe it depends on where you are approved?

fireworksboy Nov 9, 2012 3:13 pm

Got conditional today. Applied about 3 weeks ago. Earliest appt for Seattle - 4/24/13!:eek: Took it with hopes of an earlier cancellation.

Anyone have experience walking in on a different center hoping to do a walk up or is that a no-no? I'm heading to upstate NY this week and would love to try the Champlain office so that I can get iris done at the same time but don't want to push my luck with protocol.