Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Processing Timelines

NEXUS First Time Applications Processing Timelines

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TheBOSman
Wiki Link
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11
39 business days as of 2018-11-30
35 business days as of 2018-09-06
32 business days as of 2018-06-26
20 business days as of 2018-04-13
20 business days as of 2018-02-28
18 business days as of 2018-01-29
18 business days as of 2018-01-22
23 business days as of 2017-12-14
26 business days as of 2017-10-05
60 business days as of 2017-07-12
65 business days as of 2017-07-04
71 business days as of 2017-05-31
51 business days as of 2017-03-31
47 business days as of 2017-02-28
32 business days as of 2016-12-31
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 25, 12, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW View Post
I had a similar issue with SEA, dates were 4-6 weeks out. I kept checking the calendar for cancelations, people tend to cancel 1-5 days out if they are going to cancel and found two appointments, one for 2/21(too soon) which was the next day and at 10:00 AM the week of the 27th. I took the one for next week. No appointments the rest of February, not a single one in March to mid April. Check frequently, you may luck out.
That was my experience also as my first available interview date was 3+ months in the future so accepted it and then checked every day for a week or so and found another time pop up with about 10 days notice so grabbed it.

There is a Megathread in the AC forum on the topic in case OP wants to wade through it. Good luck!
Old Mar 3, 12, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
That was my experience also as my first available interview date was 3+ months in the future so accepted it and then checked every day for a week or so and found another time pop up with about 10 days notice so grabbed it.

There is a Megathread in the AC forum on the topic in case OP wants to wade through it. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. After trying for more than a week, I managed to get an interview at YOW for the end of April. I will continue trying -- maybe I can get one even sooner.
Old Apr 23, 12, 11:58 am

Nexus - Much longer than anticipated - still waiting

Hi all,

I paid for and filled out my Nexus application via the GOES website... On February 27, 2012... I have been checking the GOES site daily and am still pending approval... I sent an e-mail to GOES Ombudsman, as indicated, and was told that the current wait is longer due to many applications recieved recently. A colleague, went through the internet, and paid 250$ and got her appointment within 5 business days. So in my opinion, it has nothing to do with the current demand... it has alot to do with how much you are paying.

It is going on 9 weeks, and I am still pending review.

I was really hoping to have it before going away in June, on business... it is not looking good.

Oh, well...live and learn.

Last edited by PammyBaby; Apr 23, 12 at 12:00 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 25, 12, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by PammyBaby View Post
Hi all,

I paid for and filled out my Nexus application via the GOES website... On February 27, 2012... I have been checking the GOES site daily and am still pending approval... I sent an e-mail to GOES Ombudsman, as indicated, and was told that the current wait is longer due to many applications recieved recently. A colleague, went through the internet, and paid 250$ and got her appointment within 5 business days. So in my opinion, it has nothing to do with the current demand... it has alot to do with how much you are paying.

It is going on 9 weeks, and I am still pending review.

I was really hoping to have it before going away in June, on business... it is not looking good.

Oh, well...live and learn.
Well that's discouraging. I am already an approved Global Entry member and applied to add Nexus at the GOES site on 3/26. It's still "pending review". Ridiculous that it's taking so long.
Old Apr 29, 12, 12:44 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Silver, AC, DL
NEXUS has been taking 7 to 8 weeks for the conditional approvals to come through (I applied for mine in late January, and it was 7 weeks for me).

If you get the conditional approval and can find an interview in a short time frame, you should still have no problem getting the card by June.
Old May 3, 12, 11:00 am

You guys are either very lucky or we, Canadians are screwed big time...
I've paid the NEXUS application fee on Mar 2 and STILL am in "Pending Review" status.
Of course the maximum 8 (EIGHT!) weeks time has passed, so I've wrote an e-mail to CBP Ombudsman and have received the following answer:
"Please continue to monitor your GOES account. The CBP Trusted Traveler Program has experienced an increased volume of applications which unfortunately has caused some processing delays. CBP is actively addressing the backlog and apologizes for the delay."
I also found a phone number to call and the nice guy with Indian accent politely explained to me that there are NO MORE time estimates - all I have to do is to WAIT INDEFINITELY until the status is changed.
I'll wait patiently to see if I can reach a quarter or may be a year waiting time.
Talking about new jobs - maybe US state administration should take a look at CBP and open few new positions to get the huge backlog issue fixed?... ;-)
Old May 10, 12, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by PeshoTeslata View Post
You guys are either very lucky or we, Canadians are screwed big time...
I've paid the NEXUS application fee on Mar 2 and STILL am in "Pending Review" status.
Of course the maximum 8 (EIGHT!) weeks time has passed, so I've wrote an e-mail to CBP Ombudsman and have received the following answer:

I also found a phone number to call and the nice guy with Indian accent politely explained to me that there are NO MORE time estimates - all I have to do is to WAIT INDEFINITELY until the status is changed.
I'll wait patiently to see if I can reach a quarter or may be a year waiting time.
Talking about new jobs - maybe US state administration should take a look at CBP and open few new positions to get the huge backlog issue fixed?... ;-)

Call on the phone and they'll tell you more. I called before the 8 weeks were over, and the exact day it turned 8 weeks my goes account was updated saying i was approved and able to schedule an interview and that I had 30 days to schedule one. Hope it helps!
Old May 10, 12, 7:51 pm

Programs: National Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by canflyergirl View Post
Call on the phone and they'll tell you more. I called before the 8 weeks were over, and the exact day it turned 8 weeks my goes account was updated saying i was approved and able to schedule an interview and that I had 30 days to schedule one. Hope it helps!
Could you please PM me the phone number? I sent an email and got a generic cut and paste response. Been waiting 7 weeks for my NEXUS application, still says "pending review".
Old May 11, 12, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My GF finally got hers, basically at the 8 week mark. Seems like the new normal.
Old May 29, 12, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
Well that's discouraging. I am already an approved Global Entry member and applied to add Nexus at the GOES site on 3/26. It's still "pending review". Ridiculous that it's taking so long.
Finally today I got conditional approval for Nexus. Earliest interview available at the Seattle Enrollment Center is July 19th. Yikes.
Old May 29, 12, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Finally today I got conditional approval for Nexus. Earliest interview available at the Seattle Enrollment Center is July 19th. Yikes.
Just keep watching for openings. People who need to change their interview dates often do so just a few days in advance. And there's no waiting list, so openings just appear in real time, first come, first served. I wanted to do my interview at YVR, and at first was looking at a 3-month wait. But within a couple of days I snagged an opening that was less than a week away.
Old May 29, 12, 8:18 pm

Check the website frequently. I had the same thing happen, the only available appointment was several weeks out. I kept checking and found an opening for the following week.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; May 29, 12 at 8:24 pm
Old May 30, 12, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW View Post
Check the website frequently. I had the same thing happen, the only available appointment was several weeks out. I kept checking and found an opening for the following week.
Yeah I thought of that but the catch is I submitted an application for my mom on the same day (she was also conditionally approved yesterday) and we are going to our interviews together (15 minutes apart). So I'd have to find 2 earlier appointments at the same time. We have no travel to Canada planned in the interim so I can wait til July.
Old Sep 3, 12, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Recent Nexus timeline:
  • Applied first week of July 2012.
  • Conditional approval second week of August.
  • Interview at land crossing within a few days - one of those land crossings with no waits for appointments. Approved. Nexus card arrives in mail four business days later.
  • Normal (non-Nexus) entry to YVR for weekend visit.
  • Visit YVR Nexus office for iris photo, walk up - no wait.
  • Returning to US, used Nexus card at YVR to skip long line for security and GE machine to skip long line for US customs. As often reported here, when GE and Nexus machines are both available, GE machines are much faster.

Very cool!
Old Sep 11, 12, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
Well, I posted the question here today, and then I got an approval notice today ^

I don't need to go to have an interview or anything for NEXUS

It says "If you enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately. Global Entry cards are only issued to Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents or Mexican Nationals (who are not current SENTRI members). Global Entry cards are not valid at the Global Entry kiosks."

I've been using GE and it was attached to my NEXUS membership before the renewal.
Do I still need to re-enroll GE??? I tried online, but there is no choice for GE...
Does that mean GE is also extended another 5 years?
When you login to GOES you'll see the link for Trusted Traveler Program, your PASSID number, and the renewal date.. that is your new expiration date. Click on the Trusted Traveler Program link and right at the top it should say Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri..all will share that same renewal date.

Great to know that the hassle of the interview is not required for renewal..at least for now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: