Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Feb 20, 2021, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Michael_T
Good morning everyone,

My wife, daughter and myself all have our Nexus cards (all completed same time), and we are going to have baby #2 in July. We will be applying as soon as possible after the birth, has anyone here gone through the process of applying singularly for a baby/toddler and could share their experience?

thank you very much,
Mike
I went when our youngest was nine (along with their two slightly older siblings, all 12 and under). Obviously not identical but practically should be very similar. I took them on their "interviews" without their mother, who preferred to stay home.

I wrote up two letters for each child and had them notarized: One for permission to take them out of the country, and one for permission to enroll in Nexus. The interview itself took place on the US side and primarily consisted of both the US and Canadian agents confirming information; they didn't actually ask the kids any questions. They did review the permission letter to enroll in Nexus, and the US agent actually swung his monitor around showing me a picture of my wife, asking me to confirm that she was their mother. Was a bit weird as it wasn't her passport or Global Entry photo, looked like a picture from work or grad school.

The iris scan took place on the Canadian side (we're American) which is why we took the paperwork for crossing the border.

The whole process took less than 30 minutes or so and was pretty easy, but best to come prepared with all relevant information (I know we had their passports, perhaps original birth certificates as well but don't recall) along with the interview confirmations and the two notarized letters for each child.

If you are interested, I found the template I used for the letters, and can post the text to this thread or send to you in a PM.

Last edited by md125; Feb 20, 2021 at 6:16 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Feb 21, 2021, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by exefdt
US Citizen in US. Applied March 11th, 2020 - still waiting for conditional approval...
​​​​​​​Finally approved - now just waiting for appointment slots to open up...
BThumme likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Michael_T
Good morning everyone,

My wife, daughter and myself all have our Nexus cards (all completed same time), and we are going to have baby #2 in July. We will be applying as soon as possible after the birth, has anyone here gone through the process of applying singularly for a baby/toddler and could share their experience?

thank you very much,
Mike
It took about a year for my infant (dual US/CDN) to get approved. That was about six months ago, interview scheduled for June, hopefully it happens. With my last infant we showed up for the interview and they barely gave us a look and then said we were done and to wait for the card.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:05 pm

Canadian Citizen
Applied: March 22, 2021
Conditional Approval: March 24, 2021
Old Apr 28, 2021, 5:36 pm

My May 29 appointment was cancelled; so 3 times now. No appointments available. I think I should just switch to Global Entry at this point, I need to finish the interview by August or the 2 years will be passed.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by victooorious
My May 29 appointment was cancelled; so 3 times now. No appointments available. I think I should just switch to Global Entry at this point, I need to finish the interview by August or the 2 years will be passed.
would not worry about the 2 years passed. Every time it gets close to a cut off date they extended it.
for me and auto crossing really need the Nexus.

like other not sure they are thinking as they keep approving as the list gets longer. Our family first appointment was like early feb 2020.

it seems the issue right now for Nexus approval is the Canada side that has shut all down till like July
Old May 1, 2021, 1:03 pm

Just a quick note to say - Thanks for the updates.

I met someone from Blaine WA and they had heard no rumors when CBP office there was going to re-open.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Don't expect any appointments until the border is reopened. Attending a NEXUS interview is not essential travel.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by MareLuce
Just a quick note to say - Thanks for the updates.

I met someone from Blaine WA and they had heard no rumors when CBP office there was going to re-open.
issue right now is the Canadian government. All is shut down on their side and will review in July.
people applying for the GE ones are getting virtual zoom interviews. I have heard the Us Gov will try to work with the Can government and try to get zoom interviews. But agree with others that bet the boarder will be open and the the interviews start
MareLuce and mcdullhk88 like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by mrlogboy
issue right now is the Canadian government. All is shut down on their side and will review in July.
people applying for the GE ones are getting virtual zoom interviews. I have heard the Us Gov will try to work with the Can government and try to get zoom interviews. But agree with others that bet the boarder will be open and the the interviews start
Any idea how they are handling the fingerprint requirements for GE that way? Would be simple through an app I guess
Old May 2, 2021, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xobile
Any idea how they are handling the fingerprint requirements for GE that way? Would be simple through an app I guess
Zoom interviews are for GE renewals not first time GE applicants unless CBP is willing to drop fingerprint requirements (which I'm not aware of).
mcdullhk88 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by mrlogboy
I am surprised they haven't extended the 730 days by now. My late May appointment was canceled without any interview slots to pick up after and it's been like this since I last posted. Doesn't sound like anything is happening with the border.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:20 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Applied and got my conditional approval the following business day.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by victooorious
I am surprised they haven't extended the 730 days by now. My late May appointment was canceled without any interview slots to pick up after and it's been like this since I last posted. Doesn't sound like anything is happening with the border.
I agree with you and emailed them today and will try to call next week.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:15 am

Two data points, applied for myself and my wife on Oct, 2020 and got conditional approval this week. Took about 9 months. Both US LPR and first time applicant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.