Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:23 am

I know we aren't applying for Pre-Check (directly) but this article this morning has some insight on the rush and delays to get approved. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/us...ity-lines.html
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, IHG, Marriott, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Exclamation Processing time (8) eight weeks!

I just called the CBSA line and the recorded message indicates the average processing time for NEXUS is eight (8) weeks!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SnowDude
I just called the CBSA line and the recorded message indicates the average processing time for NEXUS is eight (8) weeks!
Thank you for the update. Only 3 more weeks to go for many of us then . However, isn't 8 weeks the legal requirement they have? That an application must be responded to sooner than 8 weeks after submission?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rirruto
I know we aren't applying for Pre-Check (directly) but this article this morning has some insight on the rush and delays to get approved. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/us...ity-lines.html
My guess is issue is on CBSA side. As we know CBP evaluates continued trusted traveler participation every day by searching various law enforcement databases, I'm guessing not much involved in terms of CBP processing our NEXUS applications as my spouse and kids have been GE members for quite some time.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Thank you for the update. Only 3 more weeks to go for many of us then . However, isn't 8 weeks the legal requirement they have? That an application must be responded to sooner than 8 weeks after submission?
There were several data points prior to May that NEXUS was processed within 3-4 weeks even for new applicants. Something must have been happening starting in May resulting in these delays.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by seawolf
There were several data points prior to May that NEXUS was processed within 3-4 weeks even for new applicants. Something must have been happening starting in May resulting in these delays.
The big TSA lines, as well as a lot of people renewing passports in the USA. 9-10 years ago was the time when passports began to be required for going USA to Canada; a lot of those passports are expiring soon. Guessing some people in either (or both) situations might also be applying for NEXUS at the same time.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I already have Nexus. Did applications for family members on May 20. Now 5 weeks later, still "Pending Review".
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I already have Nexus. Did applications for family members on May 20. Now 5 weeks later, still "Pending Review".
Yes, you and everyone else in this thread
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:11 pm

I guess I'm in the same boat...at least now I know I'm not alone.

Applied for NEXUS on May 18 and still waiting...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:16 pm

It's usually bad leading up to summer. Took myself the full ten I believe, but that was years ago
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:08 pm

I applied on May 8th and still waiting... (Pending)
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by zerius
I applied on May 8th and still waiting... (Pending)
Oh boy, this is discouraging.
I was hopeful for a 3-4 weeks turnaround, but it looks like I have another month to wait.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:56 pm

Mid May and waiting. I had hoped to have it for the NYC trip that I just returned from. Now I'm hoping to have it for Hawaii in mid August (fingers crossed).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:07 am

Frustrating, but now I know

Thanks to everyone for providing their updates. It's frustrating for everyone. I mostly wanted TSA PreCheck, and my NEXUS center is 100 miles closer than the nearest TSA center so that's why I chose NEXUS. I made precheck appointments right away, and then canceled when I found the closer NEXUS center. Keep the updates coming! Let's hope for a big push of approvals!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:46 am

Applied on May 23, new application. Saw the previous fast turnaround in March/April and was worried if there was anything wrong until I check this thread again today. It sounds bad but I'm glad at least it wasn't just me!

So thank you everyone for your updates.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Is there any way to speak to anyone about application status? Coming up on 8 weeks here. Called the processing center in Montreal and the voicemail said they will not return any calls related to application status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.