Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Name Change after Marriage/Divorce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I am recently married and just received my new passport with my new last name. I wanted to update my info on my Global Entry account but I see that it only allows for updates that don't involve a name change. But I can't find where it says how to change your name? Do I need to physically visit a Global Entry office? I hope not because I don't live anywhere near one. Also, will I have to pay the fee again?

Any advice is appreciated!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by chibichan
I am recently married and just received my new passport with my new last name. I wanted to update my info on my Global Entry account but I see that it only allows for updates that don't involve a name change. But I can't find where it says how to change your name? Do I need to physically visit a Global Entry office? I hope not because I don't live anywhere near one. Also, will I have to pay the fee again?

From the Global Entry website:

Q: I am a current Global Entry member. How do I update my passport information?
A: All Global Entry members can update their passport information through their GOES account.
To update in GOES, click here
If the passport update involves a name change, you must visit a Global Entry enrollment center to update your information
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the info! Not the answer I was hoping for unfortunately. Do you know if I will have to pay the fee again?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by chibichan

Good news: You will not have to pay any kind of fees. TSA pre-check is still good to use as long as you have not changed your name yet in your mileage accounts.

Bad news: You will need to visit a Global Entry office, to have them change your name in your account and put in the new passport. You can put the passport info into your GOES account however it will not work at the kiosks until it is activated by CBP. This is done on a walk-in / business hours basis. It only takes a few minutes so just do it on a domestic trip at your convenience. *Keep in mind for TSA Pre-Check your name MUST match between your GE account and your airline mileage accounts or you can run into problems. Also recommend going into your GOES account and requesting a new GE card once they get your name / PP changed.*
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:27 pm

Global Entry - Maiden Name and New Married Name

Hi all - not sure where this would go on which forum but please one of the MODS move it if necessary.

My wife is applying to GLOBAL entry and is currently a preminent residents of the US. Her passport has her maiden name as we haven't changed it but her perminent resident card has her new name. which name should i use when she applies with global entry? i assume her maiden name atm since she'll be traveling abroad with her passport?

any advise is appreciated
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
To avoid problems I would advise getting her passport changed to her new, married, name so it matches her green card & then apply for GE. She could have problems anyway, without GE, just because the green card & passport are different.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Second this. GOES must match her passport and her passport is wrong. It's a waste of $100 to apply and be rejected for that reason. You will then need to go get the passport changed and pay another $100 fee to GOES.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:22 am

Thanks all for the reply - we could have a slight issue though in changing passport name....her name on passport is a 4 segment name -> first name, fathers name, grandfather name, last name....on her GC its just first , middle and last name...so how would i come up with a 4 segment name to match a 3 segment name ...:/
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
Thanks all for the reply - we could have a slight issue though in changing passport name....her name on passport is a 4 segment name -> first name, fathers name, grandfather name, last name....on her GC its just first , middle and last name...so how would i come up with a 4 segment name to match a 3 segment name ...:/
Look at the State Dept's Passport Agency guidance. And more to the point, this is all the more reason to hold off on GOES until you have the passport issue resolved.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Look at the State Dept's Passport Agency guidance. And more to the point, this is all the more reason to hold off on GOES until you have the passport issue resolved.
My wife is not a US citizen....her country requires a 4 segment passport as i stated above. so her passport will never be a 3 segment name. i'll make her call the embassary in DC and inquire but i went to thier site two days ago and you can change a last name but the impression i got it will be a 4 segment name...you are right about waiting, i was gonna charge it to my amex plat which amex would refund me the fee..but if this doesn't work i have to shed 100 out of pocket ...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:35 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by rubesl
To avoid problems I would advise getting her passport changed to her new, married, name so it matches her green card & then apply for GE. She could have problems anyway, without GE, just because the green card & passport are different.
Many countries normally do not change passports because their females do not take married names...Italy for example.

Before being a US citizen my wife had global entry with her LPR and the LPR had a different name than her passport. She applied with the full name on her green card and it was not a problem.
as always with the USG YMMV
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Many countries normally do not change passports because their females do not take married names...Italy for example.

Before being a US citizen my wife had global entry with her LPR and the LPR had a different name than her passport. She applied with the full name on her green card and it was not a problem.
as always with the USG YMMV
So i may try and do that , use my wife's full name on GC since thats her official papers in the US. its 100 bucks i am trying to use with amex platnium. so i am not paying it out of pocket per sey (unless this attemp fails and want to re apply )
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
I don't think you'll have a problem. When filling out the application, there is a section for "other names". I would just put your wife's married name in one of the name fields and then put her maiden name in the other. The interviewing agent can advise you during your interview as to which name should be used and correct if appropriate. As long as you have documentation on the name change (i.e. marriage certificate) I think you'll be fine.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
I don't think you'll have a problem. When filling out the application, there is a section for "other names". I would just put your wife's married name in one of the name fields and then put her maiden name in the other. The interviewing agent can advise you during your interview as to which name should be used and correct if appropriate. As long as you have documentation on the name change (i.e. marriage certificate) I think you'll be fine.
sounds good, encouraging ! i'll def do that and see what happens ! thank you guys so much for the advise.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: NWA/Delta Silver ; UA ; AA
So what happened with this? How did it turn out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.