Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 5khours
Messages posted in this thread between 2013 and 2018 have been archived and can now be found in the following thread:

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Global Entry Reapplication / Renewal (required every 5 years)

You can proactively initiate the renewal process before you get your expiration notification from DHS, which seem to be going out to your email address of record a few months prior to expiry.

You may reapply for Global Entry renewal as early as one year prior to your membership expiration date; your new GE expiration date will be five years from your next birthday.

The amount of time for approval of applications varies from as little as 1-2 days to as long as several months. The reason for this is unclear. Please be patient. If you renew before expiration, your GE benefits will continue until your renewal is approved/rejected, for up to 24 months after expiration.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Important:

1) If you allow your Global Entry status to expire, even by one day, you will need to submit a new application.

Contrary data points: three people (two of whom are minors) had their GE expire in July/August/October 2021. Renewed in March/April 2022 with full approval (no interview required) within 48 hours.

2) If you cancel a scheduled interview, your application will be canceled. So, instead of canceling an appointment date for the interview, just reschedule it.
Your Global Entry expiration date will show when you register and sign in to the new Trusted Traveler Program website https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ If you can renew, you will see a white on blue "RENEW" radio button.

Reapplication requires filling out an application form essentially de novo, including listing citizenship or residency documents, whether your driver's license is EDL conforming, aliases or "AKAs", new jobs or address changes since application, all countries visited the last five years (the form sorts them alphabetically, and does not request date or year of visit) and payment of $100 (for five years of GE renewal).

Please don't forget some credit cards will give you credit for PreCheck application or renewal, $85, or for Global Entry etc. renewal, $100, every five years (Barclay Aviator Silver, Capital One Venture, Venture X, Chase CSR and JPM Reserve, AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, American Express Platinum, CNB Crystal, etc.) Interestingly, they may not cover NEXUS, which is $50 - and if you have NEXUS, your GE will be subsumed by NEXUS.

After one to a few weeks, you will likely receive an e-mail informing you action has been taken on your application; you will have to log in to your account to determine what that action has been.

Extension of current Global Entry:

If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 18 months after your expiration date).
Please note that according to the information the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

Decisions on your application:

1) You may be approved, with no further action on your part necessary; your GE will be extended five years from your next birthdate. For an example of an uncomplicated renewal without requiring an interview, see this post by mre5765.

2) You may receive conditional approval. To receive full approval you must complete the enrollment interview within 365 days of receiving the conditional approval. You still have a hoop or two to jump through.

3) You may have not been approved. See instructions on line to proceed; this information refers to reapplication, not how to appeal or reverse the denial.

If your renewal application takes inordinately long to process or you experience other difficulties, see Frequently Asked Questions or contact or email your questions or request for support through the CBP support portal.

Notification of Conditional Approval:
Global Entry
Aug 28, 2015

WILLISTON, VT
PO BOX 946
Williston, VT 05495
US

JACK FROST
1000 MAIN ST
CENTERVILLE, 02234-5678
US

Re: Your application for the Global Entry Program Membership #"123456789"
Dear "JACK FROST":

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection, Global Entry membership application has been processed and you are now invited to visit an enrollment center to complete the enrollment process.

In order to finalize your Global Entry enrollment, you need to complete an interview within 365 days of conditional approval, or your application will be cancelled. You can reschedule as often as needed]. To do this, please log in through your TTP Account using the username and password you established when you completed your initial application. Once you have logged in, please schedule your interview using the blue "Schedule Interview" button located on the right side of the screen. If you have already visited the enrollment center for this application, please disregard this letter.

You must bring the following original documents with you to the enrollment center:
  • A valid passport. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them to the interview so that the information can be added to your file. This provides you with the ability to use either passport at the Global Entry kiosk;
  • A permanent resident card (if applicable);
  • Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.
When you visit the Enrollment Center, we will review your application and any additional information you provide at that time. We will verify your identity, review your documentation, and take your fingerprints and photograph. Finally, we will explain the terms and conditions of the Global Entry program and answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Your Global Entry membership number is, "123456789", if your account is approved, this will become your Known Traveler Number for your TSA Pre-Check benefit. For more information on the TSA Pre-Check program please visit their web site at www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.

Thank you for applying to the Global Entry Program. If you have any questions, please visit the Global Entry website at www.globalentry.gov. You may also contact the CBP Info Center at (877) 227-5511 or by visiting their website at https://help.cbp.gov.

Respectfully,

(unsigned)

Supervisor, Global Entry Enrollment Center
U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Note: names and numbers used herein are fictitious
You can check the status of your application from your TTP Website dashboard, which is displayed after you login. If you applied through GOES, you can find migration instructions here. Please DO NOT submit a new application as you will be liable for any additional fees incurred per the non-refundable terms and conditions you agree to prior to making payment.

If your application status is "Pending Review" then your application has been received and is being processed. Please note that processing times vary by applicant.

The vetting process cannot be expedited. If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date). [Please note that according to the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

[b]After the application has been reviewed, the status will be updated to either "Conditionally Approved" or "Denied" and a letter will be posted in your TTP account with additional information. This letter can be found under Notifications on the Dashboard.

If conditionally approved, you will receive a notification to schedule your interview. It is important that you complete your interview within 365 days of conditional approval. Failure to schedule an interview in that timeframe will cancel your application and you will need to pay again and reapply if you still wish to be a member.

Please note that some Enrollment Centers have a long wait for an interview. Availability is displayed through your TTP account before applying and upon conditional approval. If you have immediate travel plans, please have flexibility in the center that you can visit for the interview. To see where the centers are located see the links below [please go to this [URL="https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1332/~/i-have-submitted-my-trusted-traveler-application-for-review.-did-cbp-receive-my"]CBP web page for the links.

You should prepare for your appointment as if you were newly applying, with passport, naturalization certificate or whatever you're using to establish qualification as well as documents establishing residency (state driver's license, senior identification, etc.) you will also have your fingerprints and photograph taken.

Be sure to mention anything you've forgotten to list in your application form, and to disclose any incidents such as being arrested (not just if you were found guilty) or Driving Under the Influence - alcohol or any substance - AKA "DUIs" (some posting in this thread report they were asked if they'd been charged with DUI);,these folks access various data bases, at least one of which includes data going back to the 1950s. Some members in this forum have posted they had trouble or were initially denied for not mentioning those incidents, even juvenile records that should have been expunged.

If your reapplication is approved, you will generally be notified quickly.

Your Global Entry Program Number / TT# and your PASSID will not change.

Longest wait for renewal (already renewed)
360 days - 5khours (August 2023 approval; no interview); applied 08/19/22, approved 8/14/23
334 days - (ms)jmd001 (Oct 2020 approval; no interview); specifically 11/20/2019 to 10/19/2020
313 days - (ms)arollins (Dec 2020 approval; no interview); applied 02/02/20, approved 12/11/20
313 days - RandomNobody Applied Mar 30 2022, approved Feb 6 2023, no interview.
311 days - Stanj (Nov. 2020 approval)
310 days - solosf (Nov. 2020 approval)
309 days - drewguy (Nov. 2020 approval)
305 days - BTA daughter (Nov. 2020 approval)
294 days - CaptainMiles (August 2020 approval, no interview)
292 days - topcat_dcx (July 2020 approval)
292 days - gig103 (Aug 2020 approval, no interview)
263 days - phillapkin (June 2020 approval)
256 days - DCDuo (Feb. 2020 approval)
224 days - Smartguy35 (8/23/19 to 4/3/20)
223 days - N104UA (8/22/19 to 4/1/20)
222 days - cheltzel (11/4/2019 applied, 6/12/2020 approval, no interview)
212 days - Matthew330Ci (8/1/2019 applied, 2/26/2020 approval, no interview)
211 days - aerokitty (Feb. 2020 approval, no interview)
207 days - Mrs. Flaneurs (Feb 2020, interview required)
197 days - mgalisa (Jan. 2020 approval)

Longest active waits for renewal
6/3/19 - Marcky
6/26/19 - Mearagirl
7/3/19 - mctaste

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by kristainlondon
GE Renewal
Accidentally let GE expire in April.
Applied 12/30. Charge posted immediately.
Approved 3 am ET on 1/1!
No Zoom appointments so in-person scheduled 1/23 in West Palm Beach, FL but I may try a walk-in appointment before then.
Perhaps you mean conditionally approved. Approved usually means final approval, interview not required.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:37 pm

It's been almost two months since I applied for renewal for my 12 year old son and application didn't move. Is this normal?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MSerforfun
It's been almost two months since I applied for renewal for my 12 year old son and application didn't move. Is this normal?
Yes, completely normal. Randomly, some applications are adjudicated quickly (a week or two), and others take some months.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:21 am

DP: GE 1st Renewal for my Spouse
Applied: 12/26/2021 (card expires 12/25/2022)
Approved: no email arrived (nothing in junk mail either) so I check the website on 12/31/2021 and it said approved.
Interview: No
New Card arrived: 01/03/2022 (good until 12/25/2027)
Fee: Charged posted immediately on 12/26/2021 and reimbursed on Chase United Club Infinite Visa Card.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Applied exactly 363 days before expiration October 9th and still pending GE Renewal.........
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Took our first family trip including flights since pandemic start two weeks ago. Checked-in and my wife's boarding pass printed out without pre-check. Thought perhaps I forgot to enter her trusted traveler number in the reservation -- nope it was in there. Then looked at her GE card and realized we forgot to renew her membership that expired 2/2021 (also then went and found the nice reminder to renew email sent back in 8/2020 -- but it went to an email we just use for frequent flier/shopping programs and I missed it).

12/22 -- applied for her renewal a couple hours after printing the boarding passes
12/23 -- received conditional approval and notice to schedule an interview.

Unfortunately no remote interviews available and earliest appointment in LA would be September. But our winter break trip was to Seattle and Bellingham, WA -- so checked options there. SEA next interview was February, but Bellingham is near the Nexus Blaine Enrollment Center, which was wide open with appointments. Could have had one the next business day (following Monday after Christmas - but it would be another week before we went to Bellingham). Scheduled for an 8:30 appt before driving back to SEA and our afternoon flight home yesterday.

1/2 Interview in Blaine, WA
1/3 Received notice of full approval

My wife said the folks at Blaine were super-nice and Bellingham is a very beautiful, relaxing place if anyone wants to do a mileage run for a sooner appointment.

Fee paid via Amex Platinum and reimbursed within a day or two. Very glad to have her renewed -- it took her about 25 mins to get through security at LAX on our outbound while my sons and I went through pre-check in under 60 seconds. For the return from SEA we signed her up for Clear via her Amex benefit - but that still took her about 15 minutes vs. our minute. Next family flights are in April so hopefully her card should arrive by then. Now I just need to get on the ball for my sons' GEs which will expire in July and next February.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:27 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Data point.

Expired GE renewal. Submitted application on Oct 29, still pending
updated data point.

Expired GE renewal, submitted application on Oct 29, still pending.

Today is a blustery cold day, seeing as I live close to ORD I stopped by TSA office assuming that other applicants would be low, was correct as there were no other applicants in the office., agent at front desk informed me that I'm still pending and to be patient.

going on 60+ days
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA - Always
GE Renewal

Applied: Jan 2
Conditional Approved: Jan 4
Interview Scheduled (In Person at SFO): Jan 5
Approved: Jan 5

Got lucky with the interview. Remote wasn't available for 6 months. In person was available in 3 months. I checked several times and eventually an in-person appointment was available. The agent told me (from his computer) that someone had cancelled about 2 hours before their interview so it showed as available.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
GE Renewal
This is my second renewal. Five years ago my renewal application sailed through with no interview requirement. Not so lucky this time.

Applied: Jan 3
Conditional Approval: Jan 5

Countries visited in last five years: Cuba, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Singapore, Bhutan, India, Japan, Iceland, Italy and France.
I'm guessing they'll have questions about Cuba, but I have no idea.
ksingh0311 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:47 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
GE Renewal
This is my second renewal. Five years ago my renewal application sailed through with no interview requirement. Not so lucky this time.

Countries visited in last five years: Cuba, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Singapore, Bhutan, India, Japan, Iceland, Italy and France.
I'm guessing they'll have questions about Cuba, but I have no idea.
During my renewal, they only had 1 question for me - my visit to the UAE. I did not have a Cuba visit however.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99
During my renewal, they only had 1 question for me - my visit to the UAE. I did not have a Cuba visit however.
Oh great. One of my three UAE trips in the last five years was to try to get to Iran to run the 2017 Tehran Marathon. Trump’s travel ban led to a reciprocal ban on Americans by Iran. I pleaded my case at the Iranian embassy in Abu Dhabi, but they refused to grant me a visa.

I hope the CBP agent finds that all amusing and not concerning.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Data point:
First GE renewal. US LPR.
Submitted renewal on 4th January, currently pending review. For the initial application 4 years back I was conditionally approved in 3 or 4 days; hoping it stays the same this time also.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
GE Renewal
Wow, that was a very quick turnaround!!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Wow, that was a very quick turnaround!!
Yes, but no appointments are available for three months at SFO. No biggie, as I have a long time before expiration. Still, I'd like to time this with a trip so I don't have to go to SFO only for the interview.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:53 pm

Last time it took me 3 days, and as of now it's still pending. I read if it's not approved quickly then you are stuck in a purgatory that takes anywhere between 2-4 months to clear. Hopefully it won't be the case for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.