Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 5khours
Messages posted in this thread between 2013 and 2018 have been archived and can now be found in the following thread:

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Global Entry Reapplication / Renewal (required every 5 years)

You can proactively initiate the renewal process before you get your expiration notification from DHS, which seem to be going out to your email address of record a few months prior to expiry.

You may reapply for Global Entry renewal as early as one year prior to your membership expiration date; your new GE expiration date will be five years from your next birthday.

The amount of time for approval of applications varies from as little as 1-2 days to as long as several months. The reason for this is unclear. Please be patient. If you renew before expiration, your GE benefits will continue until your renewal is approved/rejected, for up to 24 months after expiration.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Important:

1) If you allow your Global Entry status to expire, even by one day, you will need to submit a new application.

Contrary data points: three people (two of whom are minors) had their GE expire in July/August/October 2021. Renewed in March/April 2022 with full approval (no interview required) within 48 hours.

2) If you cancel a scheduled interview, your application will be canceled. So, instead of canceling an appointment date for the interview, just reschedule it.
Your Global Entry expiration date will show when you register and sign in to the new Trusted Traveler Program website https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ If you can renew, you will see a white on blue "RENEW" radio button.

Reapplication requires filling out an application form essentially de novo, including listing citizenship or residency documents, whether your driver's license is EDL conforming, aliases or "AKAs", new jobs or address changes since application, all countries visited the last five years (the form sorts them alphabetically, and does not request date or year of visit) and payment of $100 (for five years of GE renewal).

Please don't forget some credit cards will give you credit for PreCheck application or renewal, $85, or for Global Entry etc. renewal, $100, every five years (Barclay Aviator Silver, Capital One Venture, Venture X, Chase CSR and JPM Reserve, AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, American Express Platinum, CNB Crystal, etc.) Interestingly, they may not cover NEXUS, which is $50 - and if you have NEXUS, your GE will be subsumed by NEXUS.

After one to a few weeks, you will likely receive an e-mail informing you action has been taken on your application; you will have to log in to your account to determine what that action has been.

Extension of current Global Entry:

If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 18 months after your expiration date).
Please note that according to the information the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

Decisions on your application:

1) You may be approved, with no further action on your part necessary; your GE will be extended five years from your next birthdate. For an example of an uncomplicated renewal without requiring an interview, see this post by mre5765.

2) You may receive conditional approval. To receive full approval you must complete the enrollment interview within 365 days of receiving the conditional approval. You still have a hoop or two to jump through.

3) You may have not been approved. See instructions on line to proceed; this information refers to reapplication, not how to appeal or reverse the denial.

If your renewal application takes inordinately long to process or you experience other difficulties, see Frequently Asked Questions or contact or email your questions or request for support through the CBP support portal.

Notification of Conditional Approval:
Global Entry
Aug 28, 2015

WILLISTON, VT
PO BOX 946
Williston, VT 05495
US

JACK FROST
1000 MAIN ST
CENTERVILLE, 02234-5678
US

Re: Your application for the Global Entry Program Membership #"123456789"
Dear "JACK FROST":

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection, Global Entry membership application has been processed and you are now invited to visit an enrollment center to complete the enrollment process.

In order to finalize your Global Entry enrollment, you need to complete an interview within 365 days of conditional approval, or your application will be cancelled. You can reschedule as often as needed]. To do this, please log in through your TTP Account using the username and password you established when you completed your initial application. Once you have logged in, please schedule your interview using the blue "Schedule Interview" button located on the right side of the screen. If you have already visited the enrollment center for this application, please disregard this letter.

You must bring the following original documents with you to the enrollment center:
  • A valid passport. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them to the interview so that the information can be added to your file. This provides you with the ability to use either passport at the Global Entry kiosk;
  • A permanent resident card (if applicable);
  • Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.
When you visit the Enrollment Center, we will review your application and any additional information you provide at that time. We will verify your identity, review your documentation, and take your fingerprints and photograph. Finally, we will explain the terms and conditions of the Global Entry program and answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Your Global Entry membership number is, "123456789", if your account is approved, this will become your Known Traveler Number for your TSA Pre-Check benefit. For more information on the TSA Pre-Check program please visit their web site at www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.

Thank you for applying to the Global Entry Program. If you have any questions, please visit the Global Entry website at www.globalentry.gov. You may also contact the CBP Info Center at (877) 227-5511 or by visiting their website at https://help.cbp.gov.

Respectfully,

(unsigned)

Supervisor, Global Entry Enrollment Center
U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Note: names and numbers used herein are fictitious
You can check the status of your application from your TTP Website dashboard, which is displayed after you login. If you applied through GOES, you can find migration instructions here. Please DO NOT submit a new application as you will be liable for any additional fees incurred per the non-refundable terms and conditions you agree to prior to making payment.

If your application status is "Pending Review" then your application has been received and is being processed. Please note that processing times vary by applicant.

The vetting process cannot be expedited. If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date). [Please note that according to the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

[b]After the application has been reviewed, the status will be updated to either "Conditionally Approved" or "Denied" and a letter will be posted in your TTP account with additional information. This letter can be found under Notifications on the Dashboard.

If conditionally approved, you will receive a notification to schedule your interview. It is important that you complete your interview within 365 days of conditional approval. Failure to schedule an interview in that timeframe will cancel your application and you will need to pay again and reapply if you still wish to be a member.

Please note that some Enrollment Centers have a long wait for an interview. Availability is displayed through your TTP account before applying and upon conditional approval. If you have immediate travel plans, please have flexibility in the center that you can visit for the interview. To see where the centers are located see the links below [please go to this [URL="https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1332/~/i-have-submitted-my-trusted-traveler-application-for-review.-did-cbp-receive-my"]CBP web page for the links.

You should prepare for your appointment as if you were newly applying, with passport, naturalization certificate or whatever you're using to establish qualification as well as documents establishing residency (state driver's license, senior identification, etc.) you will also have your fingerprints and photograph taken.

Be sure to mention anything you've forgotten to list in your application form, and to disclose any incidents such as being arrested (not just if you were found guilty) or Driving Under the Influence - alcohol or any substance - AKA "DUIs" (some posting in this thread report they were asked if they'd been charged with DUI);,these folks access various data bases, at least one of which includes data going back to the 1950s. Some members in this forum have posted they had trouble or were initially denied for not mentioning those incidents, even juvenile records that should have been expunged.

If your reapplication is approved, you will generally be notified quickly.

Your Global Entry Program Number / TT# and your PASSID will not change.

Longest wait for renewal (already renewed)
360 days - 5khours (August 2023 approval; no interview); applied 08/19/22, approved 8/14/23
334 days - (ms)jmd001 (Oct 2020 approval; no interview); specifically 11/20/2019 to 10/19/2020
313 days - (ms)arollins (Dec 2020 approval; no interview); applied 02/02/20, approved 12/11/20
313 days - RandomNobody Applied Mar 30 2022, approved Feb 6 2023, no interview.
311 days - Stanj (Nov. 2020 approval)
310 days - solosf (Nov. 2020 approval)
309 days - drewguy (Nov. 2020 approval)
305 days - BTA daughter (Nov. 2020 approval)
294 days - CaptainMiles (August 2020 approval, no interview)
292 days - topcat_dcx (July 2020 approval)
292 days - gig103 (Aug 2020 approval, no interview)
263 days - phillapkin (June 2020 approval)
256 days - DCDuo (Feb. 2020 approval)
224 days - Smartguy35 (8/23/19 to 4/3/20)
223 days - N104UA (8/22/19 to 4/1/20)
222 days - cheltzel (11/4/2019 applied, 6/12/2020 approval, no interview)
212 days - Matthew330Ci (8/1/2019 applied, 2/26/2020 approval, no interview)
211 days - aerokitty (Feb. 2020 approval, no interview)
207 days - Mrs. Flaneurs (Feb 2020, interview required)
197 days - mgalisa (Jan. 2020 approval)

Longest active waits for renewal
6/3/19 - Marcky
6/26/19 - Mearagirl
7/3/19 - mctaste

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Global Entry Enrollment Interview Availability

For indexing and future search purposes, please discuss availability of Global Entry Enrollment interviews in the following thread:

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Availability

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Renewed my wifes today. Lets see how long it takes. She has minimal international travel - one trip to Western Europe during the last 5 year period. No name, employment or residential change.
Renewal approved with no interview January 26. Wow. Three days! Mine took several months and needed an interview.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I submitted my renewal paperwork and payment 10/17/19. I'm still showing "pending review".

My question is if I can have the on-arrival interview if I'm still pending?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gig103
I submitted my renewal paperwork and payment 10/17/19. I'm still showing "pending review".

No point for having the “interview” during “pending review” status for the renewal application.

“Pending review” status for the renewal application indicates that your application status is too premature for any interview to be useful for the renewal application to be finalized at this point.

If your renewal application status goes from “pending review” status to “conditional approval” status, then the “interview” will need to be done to get final approval for the renewal application.

As you haven’t (yet) been given final approval for the renewal, and as you have not (yet) been given conditional approval for the renewal, no point of an “interview” on arrival at this point at least.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Gig103

NO.

It specifically states on the website and in emails that eligible applicants receive:

What is Enrollment on Arrival?
With Enrollment on Arrival, Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved can complete their interviews, the last step of the Global Entry process, while they are clearing through United States Customs and Border Protection or

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...llment-arrival
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:24 am

After reading a lot of posts on this thread and other stories about long waits for approval of GE renewal, I was expecting a similarly long wait. But I submitted my renewal application on Thursday, January 30 just before noon and today, Saturday, February 1 at 4:15 AM, I got an email that there was a status change on my account. I logged in and I’m approved! Doesn’t seem like I need to do an interview. It’s not a conditional approval. It says Approved in a green box and my new expiration date is five years from the current expiration. I’m totally confused why I didn’t have to wait like so many others. Less than 48 hours!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by asdca
Im totally confused why I didnt have to wait like so many others. Less than 48 hours!
A few weeks back, CBP was quoted in a newspaper stating something like 2/3 of applicants are approved quickly, and 1/3 take much longer. Most of those 2/3 of applicants like you have no reason to seek out this thread, thus are underrepresented in the discussion.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:55 am

Any recent experiences on how long expired GE membership renewals are taking? Mine expired and I submitted a renewal last month long after it expired. It's pending renewal.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Any recent experiences on how long expired GE membership renewals are taking? Mine expired and I submitted a renewal last month long after it expired. It's pending renewal.
There are not too many data points. My impression from having followed this thread and the first time GE applications thread is that it takes the same amount of time as when applying for the first time.

The most recent data points is this thread appear to be these:

Originally Posted by mctaste
Expired: September 2018.
Renewal application submitted: July 3, 2019.
Email sent to CBP support: Jan 19, 2020.
Application approved with no interview required: Jan 23, 2020.

CBP got back to me same day asking for additional details about my application. Four days later, I get approved. Could be coincidence, but I will be thanking CBP anyway!
Originally Posted by Nancyvzla
Application date: May 25, 2019
Conditional Approval: January 24, 2020 - 7 months, 30 days later!
Interview: March 21

I have been following this thread for a while now! So happy it already happened for me and that it is being approved quickly for others!
Originally Posted by Nancyvzla
So proud to hold the new record :-) .

Is the known travel number the same than before renewal? (mine expired first and applied for renewal 2 months later)
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:19 pm

While I'm glad for those who are getting quick turnaround times it's frustrating for me to see that when I and others have been waiting for months for conditional approvals to go through. In my case I'm not even a first timer, I just spaced on my renewal and had to re-apply -- and I've been waiting since 9/23 with nary a peep.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:12 pm

I totally screwed up my renewal application for GE. A few minutes after clicking the submit button, I immediately realized that I didn't answer the question "have you veer been arrested...expunge ..etc,.". My NCIC record is clean so there is no issue with that. I could not go back and edit after submitting as expected. Should have slowed down and read carefully before submitting. I can get ready for an interview now, I guess.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM
got provisionally approved on Friday (1/31st). Applied July 5th. I hope to get the interview done returning from a trip to Europe in March. But I got several trips planned this year, so probably will find some time during one of them.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mbainter
While I'm glad for those who are getting quick turnaround times it's frustrating for me to see that when I and others have been waiting for months for conditional approvals to go through. In my case I'm not even a first timer, I just spaced on my renewal and had to re-apply -- and I've been waiting since 9/23 with nary a peep.
I did my renewal on 9/1...My application is still pending
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
From reading the last couple of pages, it seems that I was perhaps to hasty in renewing. Seems like Sept and October were included in the bad months to renew with backlogs of applications. Sheesh, here I am trying to be early for the first time and it came to back to bite me, lol. If I would have waited til Dec or January to renew, I probably would have been approved already
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:14 pm

Conditionally approved in about 48 hours (over weekend)

Applied for renewal: Friday, 1/31/20 (about noon)
Conditionally approved: Sunday, 2/2/20

After it took about 7 months for husband to get approval for initial application, I was surprised to get renewal approval so quickly. Now difficulty is to get two appointments on same date at ATL. Probably we will do enrollment on arrival sometime or stop into enrollment center before crossing Canadian border on summer trip. At least have 1 year extension on current expiration.

Edit: In reading conditional approval notification again, I think interview was required because we are registering a car for SENTRI. Notification states that car _inspection_ no longer required but _interview_ is...but Im not sure if Im interpreting this correctly.

Last edited by johnpvalentine; Feb 2, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.