Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 5khours
Messages posted in this thread between 2013 and 2018 have been archived and can now be found in the following thread:

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Global Entry Reapplication / Renewal (required every 5 years)

You can proactively initiate the renewal process before you get your expiration notification from DHS, which seem to be going out to your email address of record a few months prior to expiry.

You may reapply for Global Entry renewal as early as one year prior to your membership expiration date; your new GE expiration date will be five years from your next birthday.

The amount of time for approval of applications varies from as little as 1-2 days to as long as several months. The reason for this is unclear. Please be patient. If you renew before expiration, your GE benefits will continue until your renewal is approved/rejected, for up to 24 months after expiration.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Important:

1) If you allow your Global Entry status to expire, even by one day, you will need to submit a new application.

Contrary data points: three people (two of whom are minors) had their GE expire in July/August/October 2021. Renewed in March/April 2022 with full approval (no interview required) within 48 hours.

2) If you cancel a scheduled interview, your application will be canceled. So, instead of canceling an appointment date for the interview, just reschedule it.
Your Global Entry expiration date will show when you register and sign in to the new Trusted Traveler Program website https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ If you can renew, you will see a white on blue "RENEW" radio button.

Reapplication requires filling out an application form essentially de novo, including listing citizenship or residency documents, whether your driver's license is EDL conforming, aliases or "AKAs", new jobs or address changes since application, all countries visited the last five years (the form sorts them alphabetically, and does not request date or year of visit) and payment of $100 (for five years of GE renewal).

Please don't forget some credit cards will give you credit for PreCheck application or renewal, $85, or for Global Entry etc. renewal, $100, every five years (Barclay Aviator Silver, Capital One Venture, Venture X, Chase CSR and JPM Reserve, AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, American Express Platinum, CNB Crystal, etc.) Interestingly, they may not cover NEXUS, which is $50 - and if you have NEXUS, your GE will be subsumed by NEXUS.

After one to a few weeks, you will likely receive an e-mail informing you action has been taken on your application; you will have to log in to your account to determine what that action has been.

Extension of current Global Entry:

If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 18 months after your expiration date).
Please note that according to the information the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

Decisions on your application:

1) You may be approved, with no further action on your part necessary; your GE will be extended five years from your next birthdate. For an example of an uncomplicated renewal without requiring an interview, see this post by mre5765.

2) You may receive conditional approval. To receive full approval you must complete the enrollment interview within 365 days of receiving the conditional approval. You still have a hoop or two to jump through.

3) You may have not been approved. See instructions on line to proceed; this information refers to reapplication, not how to appeal or reverse the denial.

If your renewal application takes inordinately long to process or you experience other difficulties, see Frequently Asked Questions or contact or email your questions or request for support through the CBP support portal.

Notification of Conditional Approval:
Global Entry
Aug 28, 2015

WILLISTON, VT
PO BOX 946
Williston, VT 05495
US

JACK FROST
1000 MAIN ST
CENTERVILLE, 02234-5678
US

Re: Your application for the Global Entry Program Membership #"123456789"
Dear "JACK FROST":

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection, Global Entry membership application has been processed and you are now invited to visit an enrollment center to complete the enrollment process.

In order to finalize your Global Entry enrollment, you need to complete an interview within 365 days of conditional approval, or your application will be cancelled. You can reschedule as often as needed]. To do this, please log in through your TTP Account using the username and password you established when you completed your initial application. Once you have logged in, please schedule your interview using the blue "Schedule Interview" button located on the right side of the screen. If you have already visited the enrollment center for this application, please disregard this letter.

You must bring the following original documents with you to the enrollment center:
  • A valid passport. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them to the interview so that the information can be added to your file. This provides you with the ability to use either passport at the Global Entry kiosk;
  • A permanent resident card (if applicable);
  • Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.
When you visit the Enrollment Center, we will review your application and any additional information you provide at that time. We will verify your identity, review your documentation, and take your fingerprints and photograph. Finally, we will explain the terms and conditions of the Global Entry program and answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Your Global Entry membership number is, "123456789", if your account is approved, this will become your Known Traveler Number for your TSA Pre-Check benefit. For more information on the TSA Pre-Check program please visit their web site at www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.

Thank you for applying to the Global Entry Program. If you have any questions, please visit the Global Entry website at www.globalentry.gov. You may also contact the CBP Info Center at (877) 227-5511 or by visiting their website at https://help.cbp.gov.

Respectfully,

(unsigned)

Supervisor, Global Entry Enrollment Center
U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Note: names and numbers used herein are fictitious
You can check the status of your application from your TTP Website dashboard, which is displayed after you login. If you applied through GOES, you can find migration instructions here. Please DO NOT submit a new application as you will be liable for any additional fees incurred per the non-refundable terms and conditions you agree to prior to making payment.

If your application status is "Pending Review" then your application has been received and is being processed. Please note that processing times vary by applicant.

The vetting process cannot be expedited. If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date). [Please note that according to the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

[b]After the application has been reviewed, the status will be updated to either "Conditionally Approved" or "Denied" and a letter will be posted in your TTP account with additional information. This letter can be found under Notifications on the Dashboard.

If conditionally approved, you will receive a notification to schedule your interview. It is important that you complete your interview within 365 days of conditional approval. Failure to schedule an interview in that timeframe will cancel your application and you will need to pay again and reapply if you still wish to be a member.

Please note that some Enrollment Centers have a long wait for an interview. Availability is displayed through your TTP account before applying and upon conditional approval. If you have immediate travel plans, please have flexibility in the center that you can visit for the interview. To see where the centers are located see the links below [please go to this [URL="https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1332/~/i-have-submitted-my-trusted-traveler-application-for-review.-did-cbp-receive-my"]CBP web page for the links.

You should prepare for your appointment as if you were newly applying, with passport, naturalization certificate or whatever you're using to establish qualification as well as documents establishing residency (state driver's license, senior identification, etc.) you will also have your fingerprints and photograph taken.

Be sure to mention anything you've forgotten to list in your application form, and to disclose any incidents such as being arrested (not just if you were found guilty) or Driving Under the Influence - alcohol or any substance - AKA "DUIs" (some posting in this thread report they were asked if they'd been charged with DUI);,these folks access various data bases, at least one of which includes data going back to the 1950s. Some members in this forum have posted they had trouble or were initially denied for not mentioning those incidents, even juvenile records that should have been expunged.

If your reapplication is approved, you will generally be notified quickly.

Your Global Entry Program Number / TT# and your PASSID will not change.

Longest wait for renewal (already renewed)
360 days - 5khours (August 2023 approval; no interview); applied 08/19/22, approved 8/14/23
334 days - (ms)jmd001 (Oct 2020 approval; no interview); specifically 11/20/2019 to 10/19/2020
313 days - (ms)arollins (Dec 2020 approval; no interview); applied 02/02/20, approved 12/11/20
313 days - RandomNobody Applied Mar 30 2022, approved Feb 6 2023, no interview.
311 days - Stanj (Nov. 2020 approval)
310 days - solosf (Nov. 2020 approval)
309 days - drewguy (Nov. 2020 approval)
305 days - BTA daughter (Nov. 2020 approval)
294 days - CaptainMiles (August 2020 approval, no interview)
292 days - topcat_dcx (July 2020 approval)
292 days - gig103 (Aug 2020 approval, no interview)
263 days - phillapkin (June 2020 approval)
256 days - DCDuo (Feb. 2020 approval)
224 days - Smartguy35 (8/23/19 to 4/3/20)
223 days - N104UA (8/22/19 to 4/1/20)
222 days - cheltzel (11/4/2019 applied, 6/12/2020 approval, no interview)
212 days - Matthew330Ci (8/1/2019 applied, 2/26/2020 approval, no interview)
211 days - aerokitty (Feb. 2020 approval, no interview)
207 days - Mrs. Flaneurs (Feb 2020, interview required)
197 days - mgalisa (Jan. 2020 approval)

Longest active waits for renewal
6/3/19 - Marcky
6/26/19 - Mearagirl
7/3/19 - mctaste

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've renewed my GE twice and my APEC once. Never had to do another interview. I thought the interview was just a one-time thing.
I have had to do a second and have had other travel party members having to do a second interview. In some cases, there were literally zero questions asked by the CBP and the CBP employees doing the re-enrollment (even on arrival at the airport) "interview" only wanted a new picture and fingerprints.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:40 am

Here's my data point, US Green Card holder.

renewed: 2/11/2022
Conditionally approved on 2/12/2022

update on 3/7/3033
was able to secure a Zoom interview slot that opened up today.
Interview took maybe around 4 mins in total. Offered to discuss the benefits of global entry but i declined as i was renewing.
Showed Passport picture page on the webcam and associated documents. Verified the numbers as well to see if they tally with that already in the database.

Last edited by miuk; Mar 7, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Following up on this, I created a ticket with CBP after 8 weeks had passed since my renewal was approved, but I still don't have the new card and CBP cannot even give me an estimate on when they'll be able to get me the new card. Has anyone ever had the $25 fee for just ordering a new card trigger the GE credit on a card that has that or are these cards looking for the exact $100 for GE/$85 for Precheck?

My situation is that assuming omicorn doesn't scuttle it, I have plans to go to Vancouver at the end of January and I'd like to have the new card in hand before I go on that trip. I know it's not strictly necessary for air travel to/from Canada, but on the way back the card gets you into their equivalent of the Precheck security line (they can't just look you to see if they can let you into the line unless you're enrolled in NEXUS), and having the card on me has bailed me out before from having to go stand in the long general line when the GE terminals weren't working.
I finally received a response email from CBP this morning saying that they won't send me a new card for free:

After review of your account, we noticed that your card was mailed to the address on file. The card arrives in a white non-descript envelope. In such a case, the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) cannot justify sending a new card at its expense. We regret that you have not yet received your replacement GE card. If you wish to obtain a replacement GE card, please order one from your account dashboard.
Aren't you supposed to get one free replacement if your card never arrives after enrollment/renewal?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:48 pm

Applied for renewal early November and just got fully approved. No interview necessary.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've renewed my GE twice and my APEC once. Never had to do another interview. I thought the interview was just a one-time thing.
What is the sequence? Did you renew APEC after you got the conditional approval or can you do it at the same time? I would prefer to avoid 2 visits to CBP @sfo.

The interview is not necessarily a one-time thing. It is not quite clear for me what the criteria are to trigger a renewal interview, but I think my children had to appear for one. Maybe new photo or fingerprints (though some of the kiosks are no longer scanning fingerprints for everyone). Or perhaps the places you have visited during the prior 5 years.

Originally Posted by miuk
Here's my data point, US Green Card holder.

renewed: 2/11/2022
Conditionally approved on 2/12/2022
Hoping mine will be that fast!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Boraxo
What is the sequence? Did you renew APEC after you got the conditional approval or can you do it at the same time? I would prefer to avoid 2 visits to CBP @sfo
I renewed my GE a year before I renewed my APEC. That's just how the dates ended up (I got APEC several years after my initial NEXUS which became a GE renewal).

I think there's a limit, can't remember how many months, before expiration that you are allowed to submit for renewal.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:18 pm

Applied 2/20/22 (Sunday)
Approved 2/21/22 (Presidents' Day, a holiday)
Weird.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Last time it took me 3 days, and as of now it's still pending. I read if it's not approved quickly then you are stuck in a purgatory that takes anywhere between 2-4 months to clear. Hopefully it won't be the case for me.
Applied 2/21, still "In Progress - Pending Review" on 3/09. Not good, looks like I will be stuck in purgatory. At least my Amex credit posted for $100 app fee

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just did the renewal application and received a notice that my renewal had been approved (no request to schedule an interview). At the time I renewed, this was fairly common but far from universal; there was speculation at the time that people who had visited countries on the "naughty" list had to do interviews.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. My list includes Mexico (which isn't requested on the app) plus a few that are not too popular these days like Belarus and China (not sure if any are on "the list")

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 9, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:15 pm

I don't think the countries visited has anything to do with the longer processing times. We are a family of four and all of which are renewing (as opposed to first time application). I've been renewing them as soon as we became eligible for renewal. My wife and I were approved within a day or two after applying. The two kids aged 11 and 8 have had their applications in process for months now. My son's application has been pending since mid-November.

Completely random!
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1MM
Here's my data point. Originally applied for Global Entry in early 2012. Renewed without interview in 2017. Due for renewal 2Q this year.

Applied for renewal on November 14 2021. Conditionally approved today (February 27 2022), three and a half months later. Went to about 15 countries in the past 5 years, none on the naughty list. That is about the same breadth of travel I had in my first five-year period with Global Entry. No idea why I was only conditionally approved this time.

Also, I am unable to schedule the interview I am required to have, to complete my renewal. There are two options of interview type - remote (via Zoom), and in-person. I first tried to schedule a remote interview using the auto-picker tool, and it didn't find anything. I then manually advanced through the appointment calendar through February 2025 and there are no remote appointments available between now and then. I then tried to schedule an in-person interview but there is nothing available anywhere near my home airport (within 500 miles) for the next several months - I didn't advance the calendar past then. (Only 4 places in the US showing as offering in-person interviews at this time!)

I do have a 24-month grace period since I initiated the renewal before my current term expired. But I don't like having the conditional approval hang out there without at least having an interview scheduled. I'm hoping those interview slots start to open up. Or, I may be taking a day off to fly to Minnesota and back...
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I’m renewed but what about card? I like using it instead of driver’s license which shows address
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:02 pm

I applied for renewal last month and offered conditionally approval almost immediately. I needed an interview but nothing remote was available but I was able to make an appt at my home airport. Then I received another notice telling me I can interview at any CBP participating airports upon my arrival from an international trip. I am given 24 months to complete the process. I rescheduled my interview to a later date because canceling the interview will cancel the renewal process. I have an overseas trip in Sept, so I will do the interview upon my return.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58
I’m renewed but what about card? I like using it instead of driver’s license which shows address
What about the card? You'll receive a new one a week or two after the renewal.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:04 am

Applied for Approval 2/27
Full Approved 3/1 with no interview

Pretty impressed
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
What is the process if your GE expired and renewed after it expired? Benefits no longer (or until new app accepted) or with COVID situation when you re-apply the benefits are auto-extended for a year ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.