Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres

U.S. citizens who are members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs are eligible to use SmartGate upon arrival in Australia if they:

are a member of CBP's Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI Program;
travel on a valid U.S. ePassportą and
are 16 years of age or older.
Travelers who meet all three criteria will be eligible to try SmartGate.

There is no additional enrollment process to participate in SmartGate. CBP has partnered with the Australian Government on this initiative to facilitate the entry of U.S. citizens into Australia. By using SmartGate, eligible travelers are able to bypass Australia's manual passport control processing queues and self-process using their ePassportą.

SmartGate is currently available at the following airports in Australia:

Adelaide
Brisbane
Cairns
Darwin
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
U S Trusted Travelers can use Australia SmartGate (trial)

Originally Posted by USDHS
Beginning November 01, 2012 Australian Customs and Border Protection will allow eligible U.S. Trusted Travelers to use Australia's automated border processing system, SmartGate, on a trial basis. SmartGate performs the customs and immigration checks usually conducted by an Australian Customs and Border Protection officer. It uses state-of-the-art biometric face recognition and ePassportą technology to securely and efficiently process passengers. Using SmartGate to self-process may be faster than waiting for an Australian Customs and Border Protection officer, particularly during busy travel periods.

SmartGate is a simple two-step process involving a kiosk and a gate. A video demonstration of SmartGate is available on the following link: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5831.asp

U.S. citizens who are members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs are eligible to use SmartGate upon arrival in Australia if they:

are a member of CBP's Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI Program;
travel on a valid U.S. ePassportą and
Travelers who meet all three criteria will be eligible to try SmartGate.

There is no additional enrollment process to participate in SmartGate. CBP has partnered with the Australian Government on this initiative to facilitate the entry of U.S. citizens into Australia. By using SmartGate, eligible travelers are able to bypass Australia's manual passport control processing queues and self-process using their ePassportą.

SmartGate is currently available at the following airports in Australia:
  • Adelaide
  • Brisbane
  • Cairns
  • Darwin
  • Gold Coast
  • Melbourne
  • Perth
  • Sydney
At no point is this program an entitlement. Passengers are always subject to screening measures.

Australian Customs and Border Protection is currently expanding its SmartGate facilities to improve access to the program for additional eligible travelers. The project will deliver five additional gates at Melbourne International Airport by mid-November and four new gates and one kiosk at Sydney International Airport by Christmas. The construction work may cause some delays for SmartGate users arriving in Sydney and Melbourne, and Australian Customs and Border Protection apologizes for any inconvenience.

For more information on using SmartGate in Australia, visit www.customs.gov.au/smartgate or www.globalentry.gov.

ą For more information on ePassports, please visit http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_2498.html

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.
More on the SmartGate and its use here.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm Reason: add link before the merge... ;)
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by woofly
Thanks - I wonder the reason for this requirement, as Global Entry accepts members younger than that.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: QFF
Does this mean that Australian's will be able to join Global Entry?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Himeno
Does this mean that Australian's will be able to join Global Entry?
I wondered the same thing but the page here: Global Entry Requirements says:
Originally Posted by trusted traveler website
Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.
So I'm guessing the answer is no. Are you surprised?

I hope the airports install sufficient portals to handle the increase; going from the regular line to SmartGate made the wait a lot shorter, so I'm going to be annoyed if this slows it down again.
Originally Posted by drewguy
Thanks - I wonder the reason for this requirement, as Global Entry accepts members younger than that.
The 16-years-old limitation also applies to the use of SmartGate by Aus/NZ citizens. (SmartGate web)

I suspect it's because SmartGate requires you to look into a camera at a typical adult height*, so younger kids might not be tall enough. Or that each person goes through one at a time and kids might need assistance. (Of course, most 14-yr-olds are as tall as some adults, and most would manage, but I guess they had to draw the line somewhere.)

* I don't know how that works for people in wheelchairs, or people who are much shorter than average.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Nov 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I wondered the same thing but the page here: Global Entry Requirements says:

So I'm guessing the answer is no. Are you surprised?
Maybe after this "trial"? It might also be a "reward" for the Aus government ignoring the Australian population and forcing in the body scanners.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:35 am

Great, I'm headed there on Monday!

It should be noted that according to the website you still need to fill out completely the Incoming Passenger Card to give to the Customs agent.

Last edited by Chrisinhouston; Nov 8, 2012 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:47 am

It should be noted that according to the website you still need to fill out completely the Incoming Passenger Card to give to the Customs agent.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Himeno
Maybe after this "trial"? It might also be a "reward" for the Aus government ignoring the Australian population and forcing in the body scanners.
Maybe (on both conjectures).

In my case it's only of academic interest, since I don't have plans to return to the US for the foreseeable future, but there would seem to be a basic principle of reciprocity that's lacking.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
US Trusted Travelers to Be Eligible to use SmartGate in Australia

Receeived this this morning from DHS.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5831.asp
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Already being discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...travelers.html
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
yes, that's a requirement for anybody entering Australia, citizen or foreigner.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Thanks but I looked and didn't see it. I asked mod to move to appropriate place when I posted.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
yes, that's a requirement for anybody entering Australia, citizen or foreigner.
Yep. SmartGate gets you through Immigration clearance. You hand the card to the Customs Marshall at the entrance to the Customs screening area after baggage claim.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Yep. SmartGate gets you through Immigration clearance. You hand the card to the Customs Marshall at the entrance to the Customs screening area after baggage claim.
Do SmartGate users receive expedited Customs screening, or the standard treatment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.