Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
So if I have a regular blue paspport and a global entry card I can't use Smartgate because it is not an ePassport ?
All US passports issued since August 2007 are e-passports, which means very shortly all valid US passports will be e-passports. You can doubly verify by looking for the chip symbol on the front of the passport (in addition to the seal of the US and the lettering)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
All US passports issued since August 2007 are e-passports, which means very shortly all valid US passports will be e-passports. You can doubly verify by looking for the chip symbol on the front of the passport (in addition to the seal of the US and the lettering)
Ok thanks! I have an ePassport than, it was issued in 2011 and has they symbol.

Can you still use smartgate if entering on a work visa?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Well this is getting more urgent now, since TSA-Pre will be going away this month for those of us who are overseas residents and got it through an airline.

So it's not just one line when entering the USA any more, it will be every segment we fly to and from inside the USA as well, and of course when departing.

So who can we write to in Australia? I will get friends to write as well.
I'd recommend writing a note as soon as possible, as it is under consideration. Write to:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Make sure you mention need for US GEP, and why.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
US seem very willing to offer GE to foreigners (eg added India recently). Are there laws in Australia preventing background check or sharing of that background check with US?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I have written to each address individually. Hope a team effort will help. If I lose TSA Pre I will go bananas

Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD
I'd recommend writing a note as soon as possible, as it is under consideration. Write to:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
US seem very willing to offer GE to foreigners (eg added India recently). Are there laws in Australia preventing background check or sharing of that background check with US?
Nothing is preventing it - APEC already does what's needed for the ABTC.

I just read read that India joined...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Here is the text of a response I received from the Australian Gov, Department of Immigration and Border Protection:

Thank you for your correspondence of 7 August 2017 to the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Peter Dutton MP, concerning Australia's participation in the US Global Entry Program (GEP) . The Minister appreciates the time you have taken to bring this matter to his attention and has asked that I reply on his behalf.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (the Department) is considering how to participate in the GEP and is in early discussions with the US Department of Homeland Security. As a part of our considerations on deciding whether to join the US GEP, we will be weighing up the benefits to the traveller against other implications, such as resourcing and costs.

Thank you for raising this matter with the Minister. Yours sincerely
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:49 am

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I have written to each address individually. Hope a team effort will help. If I lose TSA Pre I will go bananas
@Daniel-SYD - Is there a particular reason you suggested that people write to Matt Thistlethwaite?

He appears not to have ever held a ministerial or committee appointment with authority over Global Entry consideration, had only minor and nominal involvement with air transport infrastructure, and his party is out of power.

It seems like it would be more effective if Australians on this board wrote to their own MP and their own Senators -- the ones who represent the electorate (a.k.a. district / riding / constituency) and the state in which they live.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Aug 15, 2017 at 11:23 am Reason: fleshing out past work description
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
@Daniel-SYD - Is there a particular reason you suggested that people write to Matt Thistlethwaite?

He appears not to have ever held a ministerial or committee appointment with authority over Global Entry consideration, had only minor and nominal involvement with air transport infrastructure, and his party is out of power.

It seems like it would be more effective if Australians on this board wrote to their own MP and their own Senators -- the ones who represent the electorate (a.k.a. district / riding / constituency) and the state in which they live.
haha - actually he is my MP but I also thought he held the shadow immigration role, or at least did when I started the process. It can't hurt - his office did speak to me at length about it which was really nice, and they can always raise issues on our behalf.

I also got another response a few weeks ago from a travel policy. I got the same lame response that it is still under consideration as pasted above also - they promised a decision by July last time, so looks like no progress, or backwards progress.

Meanwhile these lines are killing me.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:42 pm

Wink

Meanwhile these lines are killing me.
@Daniel-SYD: Have you thoroughly investigated whether you also might be eligible for British (or Canadian, Dutch, or German) citizenship, like through one of your grandparents? As the recent kerfuffle over dual citizenship of MPs and Senators has shown, many Australians are also unknowing citizens of European countries, including the GE partner ones. And that, of course, would make you Global Entry-eligible.

(Other possibilities are South Korea, Panama, Singapore, Colombia, Argentina, or Mexico citizenship.)

†Not suggested if you intend to run for the House of Representatives one day!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
A family friend's daughter is considering study abroad in Australia. She will be on a student visa (as opposed to a tourist visa), does anyone know if this makes a difference? He is thinking she should get GE regardless, for the returns to the USA, but I thought it an interesting question to pose.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If she is US citizen, it doesn’t matter what type of Australian visa she holds as far as GE enrollment is concern.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
A lot of AUS-US flights arrive in LAX. GE is really helpful in LAX. Good idea to apply for GE.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by seawolf
If she is US citizen, it doesn’t matter what type of Australian visa she holds as far as GE enrollment is concern.
How about being allowed to use the e-gates when she lands? I could see, her first time landing she'd expect to see an immigration official , but I dunno how many other trips she'd be taking in between. (Side note, if it was me I'd probably go, stay the year, then come back because that flight is brutal and she'd be in Y).
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:54 pm

Global Entry status is now irrelevant to SmartGate eligibility

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.