Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Old Oct 10, 16, 11:41 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by reclusive46 View Post
When Global entry first became available to those outside the US it didn't include precheck.
It didn't even include precheck for US LPRs at the beginning
iamflyer is offline  
Old Nov 29, 16, 3:59 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: UA 1MM GS
Posts: 254
I wrote to our Aussie immigration minister a couple of months ago asking for GEP support (so that we can then subsequently get precheck which frequent flyers need in the US to conduct business travel efficiently)... I finally got a vague response that it is currently under active consideration.

If anyone wants to throw their weight behind it, I'll PM you details.
Daniel-SYD is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 5:32 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,571
Smartgate... wow! Quite impressed. Took me all of 2 minutes to clear immigration using it. And then breezed right through customs with barely a nod. I'd even say it is 1-2 minutes faster than Global Entry which still requires me to hand the GE slip to an immigration officer (where SmartGate does not). I wish more countries would do this. I love it!
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 11:19 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,086
Many countries in Europe do this for EU citizens without the need for prior vetting like Global Entry. For example, the UK and NL both have automatic border gates than can be used by any EU citizen. No need to speak with immigration or customs (except for random checks) and no need to show a slip of paper to anyone,



Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Smartgate... wow! Quite impressed. Took me all of 2 minutes to clear immigration using it. And then breezed right through customs with barely a nod. I'd even say it is 1-2 minutes faster than Global Entry which still requires me to hand the GE slip to an immigration officer (where SmartGate does not). I wish more countries would do this. I love it!
BigFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 8:35 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: UA 1MM GS
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD View Post
I wrote to our Aussie immigration minister a couple of months ago asking for GEP support (so that we can then subsequently get precheck which frequent flyers need in the US to conduct business travel efficiently)... I finally got a vague response that it is currently under active consideration.

If anyone wants to throw their weight behind it, I'll PM you details.
I've learnt that for Aussies wanting GEP, Australia is making a decision on it by mid year. So, if this is something you value, it may make sense to write in and let them know. They take months to reply...
Daniel-SYD is offline  
Old Feb 6, 17, 2:13 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Posts: 723
I don't understand - what decision does Australia have to make - it is the USA that has to decide on GE for Aussie citizens. I will do anything to help us get Global Entry.

I already have pre-check (through no fault of my own - UA gave it to me I think). For years I occasionally failed to get through because I couldn't show USA ID, but in the last 2 years an Australian passport has been accepted without question.
sabbasolo is offline  
Old Feb 6, 17, 6:23 am
  #67  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,960
Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
I don't understand - what decision does Australia have to make - it is the USA that has to decide on GE for Aussie citizens. I will do anything to help us get Global Entry.

I already have pre-check (through no fault of my own - UA gave it to me I think). For years I occasionally failed to get through because I couldn't show USA ID, but in the last 2 years an Australian passport has been accepted without question.
In GE scheme, Australia will have to perform the initial background check on Australian GE applicants and likely have to share personal information to US.

Perhaps some Australian regulations have to be amended for this to happen?
seawolf is offline  
Old Feb 6, 17, 8:35 pm
  #68  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
Many countries in Europe do this for EU citizens without the need for prior vetting like Global Entry. For example, the UK and NL both have automatic border gates than can be used by any EU citizen. No need to speak with immigration or customs (except for random checks) and no need to show a slip of paper to anyone,
Same thing with easypass in Germany
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 17, 8:34 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Posts: 723
Well this is getting more urgent now, since TSA-Pre will be going away this month for those of us who are overseas residents and got it through an airline.

So it's not just one line when entering the USA any more, it will be every segment we fly to and from inside the USA as well, and of course when departing.

So who can we write to in Australia? I will get friends to write as well.
sabbasolo is offline  
Old Feb 8, 17, 8:35 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Posts: 723
Regarding APC

Although I have used APC successfully in IAH, I just failed to use it at EWR (UA arrival). I did go to the machine, ignoring the person directing people, but the machine rejected my passport and said to see an agent.
sabbasolo is offline  
Old Feb 11, 17, 5:29 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,571
Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
Well this is getting more urgent now, since TSA-Pre will be going away this month for those of us who are overseas residents and got it through an airline.

So it's not just one line when entering the USA any more, it will be every segment we fly to and from inside the USA as well, and of course when departing.
What does that mean? I don't recall how I got TSA-Pre... likely through an airline initially, however I am also a GE member. Does one keep TSA-Pre if they are GE?
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Feb 11, 17, 6:58 pm
  #72  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 12,665
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Does one keep TSA-Pre if they are GE?
TSA PreCheck is an included benefit of Global Entry.
TWA884 is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 1:36 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
Posts: 723
And now Singapore citizens get to use GE, Australian's still don't. Bloody hell.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...vellin-7951626..
sabbasolo is offline  
Old May 15, 17, 2:30 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,835
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Smartgate... wow! Quite impressed. Took me all of 2 minutes to clear immigration using it. And then breezed right through customs with barely a nod. I'd even say it is 1-2 minutes faster than Global Entry which still requires me to hand the GE slip to an immigration officer (where SmartGate does not). I wish more countries would do this. I love it!
I used SmartGate last month and I agree it was fantastic. A bit of advice for those entering SYD Terminal 1 ... the first set of kiosks were crowded, and I stood in the queue, but there is another set of kiosks closer to the gates.

My wife didn't believe me that we were doing the right thing. She was pointing to all the people passing us (we were off the plane quickly in J), but we ended up, thanks to SmartGate, beating our bags to the belts.

Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
And now Singapore citizens get to use GE, Australian's still don't. Bloody hell.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...vellin-7951626..
Bummer!
Gig103 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 17, 10:09 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 272
So if I have a regular blue paspport and a global entry card I can't use Smartgate because it is not an ePassport ?
jmsnyc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: