Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Old Oct 10, 16, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 View Post
When Global entry first became available to those outside the US it didn't include precheck.
It didn't even include precheck for US LPRs at the beginning
Old Nov 29, 16, 3:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
I wrote to our Aussie immigration minister a couple of months ago asking for GEP support (so that we can then subsequently get precheck which frequent flyers need in the US to conduct business travel efficiently)... I finally got a vague response that it is currently under active consideration.

If anyone wants to throw their weight behind it, I'll PM you details.
Old Dec 12, 16, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Smartgate... wow! Quite impressed. Took me all of 2 minutes to clear immigration using it. And then breezed right through customs with barely a nod. I'd even say it is 1-2 minutes faster than Global Entry which still requires me to hand the GE slip to an immigration officer (where SmartGate does not). I wish more countries would do this. I love it!
Old Dec 12, 16, 11:19 am

Many countries in Europe do this for EU citizens without the need for prior vetting like Global Entry. For example, the UK and NL both have automatic border gates than can be used by any EU citizen. No need to speak with immigration or customs (except for random checks) and no need to show a slip of paper to anyone,

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Smartgate... wow! Quite impressed. Took me all of 2 minutes to clear immigration using it. And then breezed right through customs with barely a nod. I'd even say it is 1-2 minutes faster than Global Entry which still requires me to hand the GE slip to an immigration officer (where SmartGate does not). I wish more countries would do this. I love it!
Old Feb 1, 17, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD View Post
I wrote to our Aussie immigration minister a couple of months ago asking for GEP support (so that we can then subsequently get precheck which frequent flyers need in the US to conduct business travel efficiently)... I finally got a vague response that it is currently under active consideration.

If anyone wants to throw their weight behind it, I'll PM you details.
I've learnt that for Aussies wanting GEP, Australia is making a decision on it by mid year. So, if this is something you value, it may make sense to write in and let them know. They take months to reply...
Old Feb 6, 17, 2:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
I don't understand - what decision does Australia have to make - it is the USA that has to decide on GE for Aussie citizens. I will do anything to help us get Global Entry.

I already have pre-check (through no fault of my own - UA gave it to me I think). For years I occasionally failed to get through because I couldn't show USA ID, but in the last 2 years an Australian passport has been accepted without question.
Old Feb 6, 17, 6:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by sabbasolo View Post
I don't understand - what decision does Australia have to make - it is the USA that has to decide on GE for Aussie citizens. I will do anything to help us get Global Entry.

I already have pre-check (through no fault of my own - UA gave it to me I think). For years I occasionally failed to get through because I couldn't show USA ID, but in the last 2 years an Australian passport has been accepted without question.
In GE scheme, Australia will have to perform the initial background check on Australian GE applicants and likely have to share personal information to US.

Perhaps some Australian regulations have to be amended for this to happen?
Old Feb 6, 17, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
Many countries in Europe do this for EU citizens without the need for prior vetting like Global Entry. For example, the UK and NL both have automatic border gates than can be used by any EU citizen. No need to speak with immigration or customs (except for random checks) and no need to show a slip of paper to anyone,
Same thing with easypass in Germany
Old Feb 8, 17, 8:34 am

Well this is getting more urgent now, since TSA-Pre will be going away this month for those of us who are overseas residents and got it through an airline.

So it's not just one line when entering the USA any more, it will be every segment we fly to and from inside the USA as well, and of course when departing.

So who can we write to in Australia? I will get friends to write as well.
Old Feb 8, 17, 8:35 am

Regarding APC

Although I have used APC successfully in IAH, I just failed to use it at EWR (UA arrival). I did go to the machine, ignoring the person directing people, but the machine rejected my passport and said to see an agent.
Old Feb 11, 17, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Well this is getting more urgent now, since TSA-Pre will be going away this month for those of us who are overseas residents and got it through an airline.

So it's not just one line when entering the USA any more, it will be every segment we fly to and from inside the USA as well, and of course when departing.
What does that mean? I don't recall how I got TSA-Pre... likely through an airline initially, however I am also a GE member. Does one keep TSA-Pre if they are GE?
Old Feb 11, 17, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Does one keep TSA-Pre if they are GE?
TSA PreCheck is an included benefit of Global Entry.
Old May 5, 17, 1:36 am

And now Singapore citizens get to use GE, Australian's still don't. Bloody hell.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...vellin-7951626..
Old May 15, 17, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I used SmartGate last month and I agree it was fantastic. A bit of advice for those entering SYD Terminal 1 ... the first set of kiosks were crowded, and I stood in the queue, but there is another set of kiosks closer to the gates.

My wife didn't believe me that we were doing the right thing. She was pointing to all the people passing us (we were off the plane quickly in J), but we ended up, thanks to SmartGate, beating our bags to the belts.

And now Singapore citizens get to use GE, Australian's still don't. Bloody hell.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...vellin-7951626..
Bummer!
Old Jul 18, 17, 10:09 pm

So if I have a regular blue paspport and a global entry card I can't use Smartgate because it is not an ePassport ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: