FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1285063-us-canadian-issued-apec-business-travel-card-abtc-updates-experiences-q.html)

jamienbaker Jun 13, 2019 12:27 pm

HND arrival: worked, avoided significant queue.
HND departure: worked, avoided significant queue.
SIN arrival: worked, no time saved.
SIN departure: worked, no time saved.
HKG arrival: worked, avoided small queue.
HKG departure: worked, avoided significant queue.
ADL arrival: worked, avoided significant queue.
MEL departure: worked, no time saved.
LAX arrival: used GE, but APEC-enabled non-American colleague avoided a truly massive crush of humanity.

Best, Jamie

geclub1 Jun 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 31199575)
HKG departure: worked, avoided significant queue.

Best, Jamie

Where is the special queue for HKG departure? Last few times, I asked and was always told there is no priority line at all for departure security.
Depature immigration tends not to be busy because it is after security.

jamienbaker Jun 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 31200058)
Where is the special queue for HKG departure? Last few times, I asked and was always told there is no priority line at all for departure security.

I think the actual book may change from time to time. I showed my card to a guy and he sent me far down on the left.

polarbears Jun 17, 2019 2:33 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 31199575)
SIN departure: worked, no time saved.

How do you use APEC for departure in Singapore? I always get directed to the fingerprint machine, even if I ask if I can go to one of the counters (and there's usually just one counter open when I've departed).

shuuy Jul 4, 2019 5:10 pm

During the construction at SYD departures, appears APEC card holders can now enter the customs hall with pax in wheelchairs/needing assistance (not strollers).

The entrance is to the right of the main entrance - important today before school holidays with 1,000+ people queuing before entering the customs hall (I only wish I spotted it earlier!)

jerrywu Jul 5, 2019 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 31200058)

Usually, it is same as Hong Kong resident line (not Hong Kong permanent resident line). Bit confusing, but there are distinctive lines for Hong Kong Permanent Resident Line (usually shorter), Hong Kong Resident Line.

shuuy Jul 8, 2019 7:34 pm

Do you have to complete a paper E311 when using your APEC card at Canadian airports with automated (non-NEXUS) kiosks? I assume yes.

HKUSFLYER Jul 14, 2019 8:42 pm

My APEC card has yet to expire, but my passport was close to expire so I went ahead and get a new one.

I noticed that my passport says "It is a replacement for passport number XXXXXXX", and consider that my APEC card was issued under XXXXXX, can I still use my existing APEC card without getting a new one? (I didn't want to because I would have to go to interview in states again, and that I have no plans to do it in the near future)

I ask because there is a Visa that I can use in my expired passport, provided that I bring the expired passport with the new one.

Thanks in Advance

geclub1 Jul 14, 2019 10:23 pm

There is no interview requirement for US APEC card renewal.

docbert Jul 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER (Post 31303906)
My APEC card has yet to expire, but my passport was close to expire so I went ahead and get a new one.

From https://www.apec.org/Groups/Committe...Group/ABTC/FAQ :

Question 14 – What should I do if my passport expires or is replaced?
ABTC holders must maintain a valid passport during the use of their card. Cardholders must renew their ABTC if their passport is renewed or replaced and their card makes reference to their previous passport information.

Now realistically, especially for a US/CA ABTC, odds are it isn't going to make any difference. I doubt they are going to compare the number, and worst case they are just going to bump you to the normal line.

For a non-US/CA card I would never take the risk - for starters you'd risk the check-in staff comparing the number, and the worse case becomes denied boarding or being denied entry to the country (presuming it's a country where the ABTC is being used as a replacement for a visa)

I can't speak for the US, but Australia has a simple process where they will issue a new ABTC when you get a new passport, all done via a website.

peezondeez Aug 2, 2019 7:43 pm

First time getting rejected, at DPS. Guy looks at the card, shows his colleague next to him and says no stamps, go to regular line. Luckily the regular line was only 15 minutes. Was traveling for leisure so didnt push the issue.

docbert Aug 2, 2019 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by peezondeez (Post 31373016)
First time getting rejected, at DPS. Guy looks at the card, shows his colleague next to him and says no stamps, go to regular line. Luckily the regular line was only 15 minutes. Was traveling for leisure so didnt push the issue.

Unless you had a visa they were absolutely within their rights to deny you.

US citizens require a visa if visiting Indonesia for business. No visa means you were claiming to be there as a tourist (as you stated you were), and officially they do not need to honor ABTC's for non-business travel.

jamienbaker Aug 3, 2019 5:49 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31373136)
Unless you had a visa they were absolutely within their rights to deny you.

US citizens require a visa if visiting Indonesia for business. No visa means you were claiming to be there as a tourist (as you stated you were), and officially they do not need to honor ABTC's for non-business travel.

That’s a helpful reminder, as I have gotten accustomed to using the card when I’m traveling for leisure. And I just booked some flights to Bali. Sounds like the airport VIP greet is the way to go (which, ironically, uses the APEC lane).

tookay Aug 4, 2019 1:46 pm

I have been through DPS three times using my ABTC card, most recently about three months ago. Never had a problem using that queue, although the wait looked short in the normal channels as well.

I recall about a year ago that the airport VIP greet services has been discontinued due to the obvious corruption that was happening with immigration for fast track access. Are they back up and running?

immaculate Aug 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31304118)
From https://www.apec.org/Groups/Committe...Group/ABTC/FAQ :

Question 14 – What should I do if my passport expires or is replaced?
ABTC holders must maintain a valid passport during the use of their card. Cardholders must renew their ABTC if their passport is renewed or replaced and their card makes reference to their previous passport information.

Now realistically, especially for a US/CA ABTC, odds are it isn't going to make any difference. I doubt they are going to compare the number, and worst case they are just going to bump you to the normal line.

For a non-US/CA card I would never take the risk - for starters you'd risk the check-in staff comparing the number, and the worse case becomes denied boarding or being denied entry to the country (presuming it's a country where the ABTC is being used as a replacement for a visa)

I can't speak for the US, but Australia has a simple process where they will issue a new ABTC when you get a new passport, all done via a website.

Maybe I missed this in the thread, but has anyone done this (gotten a new passport and renewed their APEC card)? I logged into TTS after getting a new passport today and can't figure out how to renew.