Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
A "work" visa may be required if you are going to "work".

A business visa is NOT required if you are going for "business", for stays of up to 180 days.

"Business" and "work" are very distinct terms when related to immigration. In a very (very!) simplistic sense, if you are not being paid locally, then you are in the country for "business".
Just to clarify for other readers, under Canadian regulations, 'business' is 'work' -- however, business activities are a subset of work that is exempted from the requirement to obtain a work permit.

You can see the wording of the regs in the post above:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29559486-post1431.html
kevino likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by seawolf
You can’t claim being a business visitor and expect CBSA to take it at face value. Bring evidence such as contract/SoW/business contacts etc.
Actually, I'm not certain that's great advice. Business visitors are just that -- visitors. They're not supposed to close deals, sign contracts, or engage in anything that would ordinarily require an employed Canadian. From the CBSA's website, these are some activities which are routinely conducted by business visitors:
  • look for ways to grow your business,
  • invest or
  • advance your business relationships.
As a very knowledgeable immigration lawyer once told me, a business visitor must be able to conduct all activities while in the host country with his "hands in his pocket." That means no exchanging of payment, no signing of contracts, no use of tools, etc etc. It's a great rule of thumb which has helped me and my colleagues (both American and Canadian) satisfy countless border guard agents' questions over the years. The words "contractor," "consultant," and "training" are immediate red flags because they imply that the visitor is being paid for his presence during the visit.

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Just to clarify for other readers, under Canadian regulations, 'business' is 'work' -- however, business activities are a subset of work that is exempted from the requirement to obtain a work permit.

You can see the wording of the regs in the post above:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29559486-post1431.html

Careful... from the very post you linked to:

Business visitors
  • 187 (1) For the purposes of paragraph 186(a), a business visitor to Canada is a foreign national who is described in subsection (2) or who seeks to engage in international business activities in Canada without directly entering the Canadian labour market.
You're not "working" if you don't enter the labour market. As I mention above, any sort of business-related activity that doesn't eliminate a Canadian's ability to fill that employment position is eligible for entry as a business visitor. As soon as you're doing "work," you're taking a job from a Canadian and that's a no-no.
kevino likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
<snip>

You're not "working" if you don't enter the labour market. As I mention above, any sort of business-related activity that doesn't eliminate a Canadian's ability to fill that employment position is eligible for entry as a business visitor. As soon as you're doing "work," you're taking a job from a Canadian and that's a no-no.
Sure, but section 8 of the regulations specifically says that the business visitor defined in sections 186(a) and 187(1) is performing work:

Work permit
  • 8 (1) A foreign national may not enter Canada to work without first obtaining a work permit.
  • Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a foreign national who is authorized under section 186 to work in Canada without a work permit. ..

It's simply a form of work that's allowed without permit, because the places of profit and headquarters are outside Canada, and because it doesn't effect the labor market.

It's mostly semantics, but it's how the Canadians choose to make their definitions.

I agree that when speaking to the typical border guard or immigration booth officer it's best to avoid the word "work" or similar terminology, as his/her knowledge of the regulations may not be deep.

And that imagery of "hands in pocket" is a useful tip to stay away from difficult situations.
kevino and ffsim like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Was that a response to me? If so, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The fact that business visitors should bring along documentation in case it's requested by a CBSA officer doesn't really change the government guidance or regulations above (in fact, it was even included in the guidance). It also doesn't mean that every person who wants to enter a Canadian airport or immigration booth through the APEC lane needs to "check applicable trade agreements ... or claim you are visa exempt due to NAFTA", or will automatically be subjected to a rubber-gloves-level examination of "documentary evidence ... such as contract/RFP/invite."

Hence, why I said the advice was over-complicating the issue.
Originally Posted by ffsim
Actually, I'm not certain that's great advice. Business visitors are just that -- visitors. They're not supposed to close deals, sign contracts, or engage in anything that would ordinarily require an employed Canadian. From the CBSA's website, these are some activities which are routinely conducted by business visitors:

As a very knowledgeable immigration lawyer once told me, a business visitor must be able to conduct all activities while in the host country with his "hands in his pocket." That means no exchanging of payment, no signing of contracts, no use of tools, etc etc. It's a great rule of thumb which has helped me and my colleagues (both American and Canadian) satisfy countless border guard agents' questions over the years. The words "contractor," "consultant," and "training" are immediate red flags because they imply that the visitor is being paid for his presence during the visit.

In regards to over complicating it....I'm not the one responding with quotes to various applicable Canadian regulations/acts.

All I'm saying is bring evidence to support the reason for your business visit (whether it is contract/SoW/names of people you are meeting/ticket showing you are attending trade conferences etc). This applies whether you are visiting Canada or any other country where you are a foreigner.

It would not be a pleasant experience if you show up at immigration (wherther it is CBP/CBSA/UK Border Force/Bundespolizei etc) as a foreigner stating you are here for business and then IF they decide to ask for more details and you can't produce any evidence to backup your stated reason for visit.
tentseller likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by seawolf
In regards to over complicating it....I'm not the one responding with quotes to various applicable Canadian regulations/acts.

All I'm saying is bring evidence to support the reason for your business visit (whether it is contract/SoW/names of people you are meeting/ticket showing you are attending trade conferences etc). This applies whether you are visiting Canada or any other country where you are a foreigner.

It would not be a pleasant experience if you show up at immigration (wherther it is CBP/CBSA/UK Border Force/Bundespolizei etc) as a foreigner stating you are here for business and then IF they decide to ask for more details and you can't produce any evidence to backup your stated reason for visit.
Yes indeed.

It is easy for anyone to Google what is written and quote.

I believe the purpose and existence of FT is to share actual experiences.

Even with GE/Nexus as a Canadian I have always brought physical hard copies of evidence justifying my need to visit. I bring physical wedding and family reunion invitations as well. This applies when I am entering US/UK myself.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by tentseller
Yes indeed.

It is easy for anyone to Google what is written and quote.

I believe the purpose and existence of FT is to share actual experiences.

Even with GE/Nexus as a Canadian I have always brought physical hard copies of evidence justifying my need to visit. I bring physical wedding and family reunion invitations as well. This applies when I am entering US/UK myself.
Correct, and in my case, I was certainly giving advice based on my personal experience (at the Toronto airport, specifically). I was going for a fully "hands in pocket" (as described by someone up-thread) purpose, and was indeed immediately flagged by the agents as soon as I tried to use my ABTC.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
On a related question, how early can you apply to renew your ABTC? Mine expires 2020, but I just received a new 10-year passport (yes, you can have 2 passports).
Has been that way for quite some time. The second passport, however, is only good for two-years, correct? [So effectively 18-months since many countries require at least six-months validity at the time of entry.]
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AA , 3MM, CK, Marriott Titanim
Dread Pirate Jeff... My APEC was set to expire in Dec 18.... I just renewed through 2024... no issues
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Couple of questions ... I have a new APEC card and am a US citizen

There are no countries listed on the back as "valid for travel to." That's normal for US citizens, right? Or does it get approved by certain countries?

I recently tried to use it in the crew line at CUN and was told I couldn't. I asked what line I could use it in and the woman told me any line for US citizens I've seen signs for it in MEX and SJD. Has anyone used it at CUN or other places in Mexico?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Couple of questions ... I have a new APEC card and am a US citizen

There are no countries listed on the back as "valid for travel to." That's normal for US citizens, right? Or does it get approved by certain countries?

I recently tried to use it in the crew line at CUN and was told I couldn't. I asked what line I could use it in and the woman told me any line for US citizens I've seen signs for it in MEX and SJD. Has anyone used it at CUN or other places in Mexico?
The lack of endorsements on the back only pertains to attempts to enter a country without a required visa - for example, China. You can use the card at any posted APEC counter. When at the airport, don't ask if you can use the card, just ask where the APEC counter is located and go there. Hand over the card with your passport and don't ask if it's OK to use.
jerrywu likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The lack of endorsements on the back only pertains to attempts to enter a country without a required visa - for example, China. You can use the card at any posted APEC counter. When at the airport, don't ask if you can use the card, just ask where the APEC counter is located and go there. Hand over the card with your passport and don't ask if it's OK to use.
Thanks.

I didn't ask. I didn't see any APEC signs at CUN and went to the empty crew line since that seemed to be the general guidance from what I had read. I handed over the card and passport and was told: "you can't use that here." When I asked if there was an APEC line, she told me any line, which obviously would defeat the purpose of expedited entry. Ultimately, she let me through and told me don't do it again.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I didn't ask. I didn't see any APEC signs at CUN and went to the empty crew line since that seemed to be the general guidance from what I had read.
In the US, the APEC line is frequently (but not always) the crew line. Outside of the US, the majority of the time it is NOT the crew line.

In most airport it'll be explicitly signed as APEC. Sometimes it's the same line as the Diplomatic line, sometimes it is it's own line, sometimes it is the crew line - there's no single rule other than look or ask for "APEC".
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:55 am

I live in TH so I enter/exit at least 2-4 times a month and the last 2 years I haven't had any issue using my Canadian-issued card, but in the last 2 months, 3 times the immigration officer gave me a hassle for not having TH listed on the back so I wonder if they've had a directive to look closer at APEC cards, as 50% of the time they don't even look at the card and just hand it back. Even though I have a valid visa/work permit for TH, so am certainly not trying to enter visa-free with the card, they have said I cannot 'use it in Thailand' all three times they've eventually let me through. One required a bit of pushing back and telling them to check with a supervisor, since he handed me my passport back and said to go to the normal queues.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by docbert
In the US, the APEC line is frequently (but not always) the crew line. Outside of the US, the majority of the time it is NOT the crew line.
In MEX Terminal 1, APEC card holders, diplomats, crew members and wheelchair passengers all use the same line.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:22 am

Interview experiences?

Has anyone applied recently and had their interview?

What questions were you asked? Did you bring any documents proving that you're a "bonafide business person" (just in case)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.