Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by tookay
I will need to renew my ABTC in the next couple of months.
All of us who were the early adopters of the ABTC are going to be in the same boat. I don't think anyone knows what the renewal process will be, or even if the US will continue to participate in the program. I see nothing in GOES as of yet that references renewal of the card.

Bear in mind that we have a new administration taking power in January that has promised to reevaluate, renegotiate, or rip up America's international agreements and treaties, so who knows if the US will even be a part of APEC by mid-2017 when the first recipients of the cards will be due for renewal. Then again, our new best friend Russia is still in APEC, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope.

Last edited by crazycrab955; Dec 6, 2016 at 3:58 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by crazycrab955
All of us who were the early adopters of the ABTC are going to be in the same boat. I don't think anyone knows what the renewal process will be, or even if the US will continue to participate in the program. I see nothing in GOES as of yet that references renewal of the card.

Bear in mind that we have a new administration taking power in January that has promised to reevaluate, renegotiate, or rip up America's international agreements and treaties, so who knows if the US will even be a part of APEC by mid-2017 when the first recipients of the cards will be due for renewal. Then again, our new best friend Russia is still in APEC, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope.
I do not hold that gloomy view. Legislation authorizes the Department of Homeland Security to issue U.S. APEC Business Travel Cards is good through Sept. 30, 2018. And cards issued under the program is good for 3 years from issuing date.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I see a renewal option in GOES now - look under manage membership for the main program NOT the APEC program - click that then on the screen choose "U.S. Programs" in upper left and select Renew APEC Business Travel Card

Screen shot: http://imgur.com/a/fG2zh
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by geclub1
I do not hold that gloomy view. Legislation authorizes the Department of Homeland Security to issue U.S. APEC Business Travel Cards is good through Sept. 30, 2018. And cards issued under the program is good for 3 years from issuing date.
I don't think Congress will revoke this deadline. The issue is how the new administration will handle what it was "authorized" to do. If they decide to exit the ABTC scheme or APEC, then even all current ABTC cards will be useless, but I doubt the new administration will do anything though.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I see a renewal option in GOES now
Extremely helpful, thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by crazycrab955

Thanks for that. I had not realized that I was such an early adopter and that nobody had renewed yet.

Given the new administration's views on visas and border controls, it seems to me that IF the ABTC program is renewed next year, then there is probably little chance that reciprocal visa privileges will be added.

Last edited by tookay; Dec 7, 2016 at 2:13 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I don't think Congress will revoke this deadline. The issue is how the new administration will handle what it was "authorized" to do. If they decide to exit the ABTC scheme or APEC, then even all current ABTC cards will be useless, but I doubt the new administration will do anything though.
Just want to clarify to the audience that there is no revoking required for authorization to issue ABTC to expire on it's own. Extending authorization is what requires Congressional action.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: asia miles
does anybody know if there special APEC line at Don Muang Airport or if they only have it at BKK?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:36 pm

Went into ORD today for my appointment. Was seen on time. Was asked for a business card, explanation of work, and proof of travel to APEC countries three times within the past year or proof of scheduled travel plans (three distinct visits) within the next year. I couldn't show that, and my application was rejected.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mario02423
Went into ORD today for my appointment. Was seen on time. Was asked for a business card, explanation of work, and proof of travel to APEC countries three times within the past year or proof of scheduled travel plans (three distinct visits) within the next year. I couldn't show that, and my application was rejected.
See upthread at post #1025. CBP at ORD is making up and enforcing their own rules for ABTC applications.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
See upthread at post #1025. CBP at ORD is making up and enforcing their own rules for ABTC applications.
Wondering if anyone has had success appealing... Checked in GOES and the rejection letter already shows:

"We regret to inform you that your membership in the ABTC program has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

Other
NOT ELIGIBLE FOR APEC"

It gives me an address to the CBP Ombudsman... Maybe I'll try it.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mario02423
Wondering if anyone has had success appealing... Checked in GOES and the rejection letter already shows:

"We regret to inform you that your membership in the ABTC program has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

Other
NOT ELIGIBLE FOR APEC"

It gives me an address to the CBP Ombudsman... Maybe I'll try it.
If you don't travel enough to have 3 passport stamps from APEC countries, why do you want the ABTC?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:22 pm

I have three passport stamps from APEC countries, but she wanted them to be work related and within 12 months. I have one work related this year and several personal trips. That wasn't good enough.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
If you don't travel enough to have 3 passport stamps from APEC countries, why do you want the ABTC?
When I applied for ABTC several years ago, they didn't check for three ABTC country stamps. I don't think there were three ABTC stamps the 12 months prior to my interview, but I listed enough flights to that region and my passport had so many stamps she didn't bother checking them.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
I just went through NAIA T1 an hour ago and I got the explicit 59 day stamp with a US ABTC. Not an APEC notation, but a Jan 25 2016 stamp on a Nov 27 entry.
To add to my report, my (Manila) NAIA T1 entries have been 59 day stamps with the ABTC, but my Clark entries have been 30 day stamps with the ABTC. Both allow me to use the APEC line, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.