Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Theforeigner
Don't forget if your flight is after the APEC Chanel closes (departures) you can use the crew lane - flew in and out twice over CNY at night after it had closed and I used the crew line without any issues - just show the card. You can find the crew line to the left of the entrance of the regular line - security sits outside the door. Just show the card...
Good advise, I was not aware this was possible.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Good advise, I was not aware this was possible.
+1 thanks for the reminder - I have done that with Nexus/Global Entry as well but it's good to know it works with APEC/ABTC as well.

- a bit off topic - but while there seems to be some TPE flyers here...is there a SIM card sales kiosk open late - like after 2300 arrival at T2 TPE? The regular ones outside arrival hall in the corridor seem to close earlier.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
+1 thanks for the reminder - I have done that with Nexus/Global Entry as well but it's good to know it works with APEC/ABTC as well.

- a bit off topic - but while there seems to be some TPE flyers here...is there a SIM card sales kiosk open late - like after 2300 arrival at T2 TPE? The regular ones outside arrival hall in the corridor seem to close earlier.
Unfortunately I don't know of any that stay open late and the best deals are here. Another option which I did when I arrived too early (the US-TPE flights arrive long before the desks open) is go into town to settle in and head over to Songshan airport where Chunghwa has a desk with tourist SIMs. Not as great as the FarEasTone desk at TPE and only 4G (not full LTE), but should be workable for most.

The other option is a FarEasTone retail shop, but you won't get nearly as good pricing as the TPE tourist desk.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:35 am

Unfortunately I don't know of any that stay open late and the best deals are here. Another option which I did when I arrived too early (the US-TPE flights arrive long before the desks open) is go into town to settle in and head over to Songshan airport where Chunghwa has a desk with tourist SIMs. Not as great as the FarEasTone desk at TPE and only 4G (not full LTE), but should be workable for most.

The other option is a FarEasTone retail shop, but you won't get nearly as good pricing as the TPE tourist desk.
Thanks for the info and good tip about Songshan! I read about a pre-immigration kiosk but wasn't sure if there was an automated one like in Japan.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:19 pm

First time APEC Card Holder going to PVG, ICN, TPE

Would appreciate tips on location of APEC lanes and experience for US card holders at all three airports, both arriving and departing. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I suspect it was a one-off with an immigration official who was either having a bad day or just untrained. I'm going to try again in early March.
I had a similar experience and would agree -- agent turned over the card and remarked that there were no endorsements. Was expecting to be sent to the regular line, but then the adjacent agent spoke up and said that all US cards don't have endorsements. After a few minutes of debating between themselves, I was eventually let through.

Originally Posted by orangutan
I had a similar bad experience on Oct 07, 2015 @T2.

Please submit your experience feedback to Immigration Singapore.

(Post #823) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25679535-post823.html
I did the feedback and got a response back but unfortunately, it seems you still had the same bad experience.
Good idea, I'll submit feedback as well... ^
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:51 am

Ferry from Shen Zhen to HKG?

There's a ferry (boat) that runs from She Kou to the HKG airport; you must pass through an immigration process to board the ferry. Does anyone know if an APEC line is available at the ferry embarkation point?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by F. Ly Bailey
There's a ferry (boat) that runs from She Kou to the HKG airport; you must pass through an immigration process to board the ferry. Does anyone know if an APEC line is available at the ferry embarkation point?

Thanks!
I am correcting my previous statement after personally using the special lane in April 2016:

APTC holder can use the "Special Lane".
But since they process passengers one boat at a time, the line is not that long.

Last edited by geclub1; Apr 25, 2016 at 9:45 am
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
Not available. But they process passengers one boat at a time, the line is not that long.
That was quick! Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by aem512
Where is the ABTC line in PEK T3 arrivals? I was there in January and didn't see it. Luckily the normal line was unusually short. I'm headed back and want to be prepared.
Not 100% about the entry lines, but on exit I managed to find a poster saying APEC used the "special" lines. Of course there are no lines marked "special" but the map showed them on the left just to the right of the Crew lines. They are marked "D/P". I do remember seeing D/P lines on arrival.

The D/P line was much shorter than the regular line and was waived through a shorter security line as well. Look forward to trying it on arrival.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:28 pm

Sorry if the answer is buried somewhere in the thread, but if I am arriving at PVG as a 72hr transfer, and thus not entering China with a valid visa, but still on what I would consider a hybrid leisure/business trip (stopping in Shanghai for some retail research, checking out products privately in stores, no meetings, etc, nothing that requires a visa or letter of invitation), I should still be able to use my card and the APEC line at immigration, correct?

I did this trip before, but arrived after the desk closed, and had to use the regular desk where I landed the lucky agent who never processed a transfer waiver, and the entire entry took over an hour for me...I'd prefer to avoid that on my next trip.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Sorry if the answer is buried somewhere in the thread, but if I am arriving at PVG as a 72hr transfer, and thus not entering China with a valid visa, but still on what I would consider a hybrid leisure/business trip (stopping in Shanghai for some retail research, checking out products privately in stores, no meetings, etc, nothing that requires a visa or letter of invitation), I should still be able to use my card and the APEC line at immigration, correct?
Can't speak for China, but I've checked the "transit" box entering Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore, and in all three cases it was accepted without question. Very handy for major-to-LCC or LCC-to-LCC transfer.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
No issues inbound and outbound this morning at ICN.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:12 am

Just an update on KUL: no problem at all, and nobody was in the queue inbound or outbound.

Also, I am planning a trip to DPS in a few weeks. Last report I saw here was from about a year ago and it was noted that their ABTC was accepted with pushback. Anyone with any more recent experience?

I seem to recall that the fastback/diplomatic inbound immigration queue was off to the right as you entered the main hall. Is that still the case?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:56 am

Used it inbound Jakarta and officer had to ask supervisor if ok to use. No problem when I departed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.