Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I can't produce a reference to something that doesn't exist.

What I can tell you is if it was a benefit on ABTC, the DHS final rule would have called it out as a benefit as it would have went into the cost/benefit (eg time saved) analysis that was done and detailed in the Federal Register link provided. The analysis that was done was on cost on obtaining ABTC and enrolling in a Trusted Traveler program vs. time saved clearing immigration using ABTC but no mention of the time saved with an "expedited" visa interview process.

Let's hear it from the community to see if their visa application process is any different assuming they identify themselves as US ABTC members during the process.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 30, 2015 at 8:03 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
I know the rules specifically state that you are not supposed to use this card when traveling on vacation and that any spouse or child can't join you, but has anyone ever tried that?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by fayraree
I know the rules specifically state that you are not supposed to use this card when traveling on vacation and that any spouse or child can't join you, but has anyone ever tried that?
YMMV. Success dependent on particular officer and the mood they are in.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
YMMV. Success dependent on particular officer and the mood they are in.
gotcha, thanks for the response. Does this mean that some FT'ers have succeeded in one or both of the above? (including you?)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Member

I recall someone posted they were successful. Given there are still agents out there that is perplexed that US ABTC card have no country endorsements on the back of the card, bringing family in is indeed YMMV. I doubt a foreign country will confiscate a US-issued ABTC for misuse. The worst I think can happen is they send you to the back of the regular line.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:06 pm

I recall someone posted they were successful. Given there are still agents out there that is perplexed that US ABTC card have no country endorsements on the back of the card, bringing family in is indeed YMMV. I doubt a foreign country will confiscate a US-issued ABTC for misuse. The worst I think can happen is they send you to the back of the regular line.
That makes sense, since we'd all have appropriate visas for the APEC country in question and be unable to use the card as a visa waiver.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
I can't produce a reference to something that doesn't exist.

What I can tell you is if it was a benefit on ABTC, the DHS final rule would have called it out as a benefit as it would have went into the cost/benefit (eg time saved) analysis that was done and detailed in the Federal Register link provided. The analysis that was done was on cost on obtaining ABTC and enrolling in a Trusted Traveler program vs. time saved clearing immigration using ABTC but no mention of the time saved with an "expedited" visa interview process.

Let's hear it from the community to see if their visa application process is any different assuming they identify themselves as US ABTC members during the process.
Which is all I was asking for.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Macau Ferry Terminal

I understand Macau is not a mebmber of APEC. Is there any kind of priority line for APEC holders in Macau Ferry Terminal?

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Are we allowed to use the ABTC when entering a country for the purpose of transit (during a business trip)?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Originally Posted by uclasfo
I understand Macau is not a mebmber of APEC. Is there any kind of priority line for APEC holders in Macau Ferry Terminal?

Thanks.
I was there about a month ago, and no special line in Macau for APEC members. Queues there can be hit or miss - I've had times when it has been less then 5 minutes, other times almost 40.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by uclasfo

Thanks.
ABTC cards are not honoured by non-ABTC-participating economies, let alone non APEC economies. Only ABTC participating economies have special lanes for ABTC cardholders.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by fayraree
gotcha, thanks for the response. Does this mean that some FT'ers have succeeded in one or both of the above? (including you?)
I've gotten my boss and friends through the APEC immigration line with me at various times in Thailand (outbound and inbound), Malaysia (inbound), and Philippines (outbound). In Singapore got shut down (inbound), I was able to go through but they made my boss go in the regular immigration line.

I usually hold both passports and sets of tickets and have my APEC card on top and hand both to whomever needs to process them. My boss is from the UK and cannot get one. His role is VP of Asia Pacific so it's very inconvenient for him not to have the ABTC. We were on a roadshow together and I tried to get him through as many places as we could during the trip.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GotSeoul
I've gotten my boss and friends through the APEC immigration line with me at various times in Thailand (outbound and inbound), Malaysia (inbound), and Philippines (outbound). In Singapore got shut down (inbound), I was able to go through but they made my boss go in the regular immigration line.

I usually hold both passports and sets of tickets and have my APEC card on top and hand both to whomever needs to process them. My boss is from the UK and cannot get one. His role is VP of Asia Pacific so it's very inconvenient for him not to have the ABTC. We were on a roadshow together and I tried to get him through as many places as we could during the trip.
Sounds like a good way to get your card revoked.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by GotSeoul

I remember seeing a sign on the wall at HND exiting that says ABTC member can bring family members. When I go through there again next time, I will try to take a picture.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Sounds like a good way to get your card revoked.
Is there even a framework for a non-precleared ABTC to be revoked by a non-issuing country?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.