Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
Mixed Results

Entered at SIN March 16 and the IO at the APEC lane would not recognize the card because no countries listed on back. Still let me pass through normally after showing me the card of another pax with the countries listed. Used the card at MNL March 18 without problems - the IO didn't look at the back of the card.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I applied for APEC a couple nights ago on the GOES site and was initial approved within minutes. The earliest appointment I was able to find was at LAX on a Friday night in a couple months but per the suggestions in this thread, I decided to try my luck as a walk-in at SFO today during the afternoon. The US CBP officer I approached asked twice if I had an appointment and both times I responded "no" while mentioning that I already had Global Entry and was there for a walk-in for APEC. I was thrilled when he started tapping away on the computer and had me sign on the signature pad - all this in ~15 minutes.

Question: how long before your status on the GOES site changed after your in-person interview? Upon leaving, the officer told me that I should receive my card "in a week or two" and reminded me that friends/family could not use the APEC line with me. My online status still shows as "Initial Enrollment / Interview Scheduled"

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by immaculate
Question: how long before your status on the GOES site changed after your in-person interview?
My status changed within days of the interview at SFO. Card arrived by end of week 2.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I applied for APEC a couple nights ago on the GOES site and was initial approved within minutes. The earliest appointment I was able to find was at LAX on a Friday night in a couple months but per the suggestions in this thread, I decided to try my luck as a walk-in at SFO today during the afternoon. The US CBP officer I approached asked twice if I had an appointment and both times I responded "no" while mentioning that I already had Global Entry and was there for a walk-in for APEC. I was thrilled when he started tapping away on the computer and had me sign on the signature pad - all this in ~15 minutes.

Ummmmm . . . did you actually read the pre-approval letter?

ABTC processing for pre-existing Global Entry members without an appointment is not a favor, it is expressly provided for in the letter.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Ummmmm . . . did you actually read the pre-approval letter?

ABTC processing for pre-existing Global Entry members without an appointment is not a favor, it is expressly provided for in the letter.
Yes, I read the letter ^ I suppose that if US CBP had turned me away despite what the letter said, it would've been the only time in the history of government employees that they didn't do the "right" thing and made a mistake, right?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:39 pm

Climb down off the high horse.

So they did you a favor by doing what they were obligated to do, which is how your post was worded ("I decided to try my luck as a walk-in")?

For those who read here, they may very well be left with the impression that they are not entitled to signature capture without an appointment. And that is not how it is.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:44 am

Climb down off the high horse.

So they did you a favor by doing what they were obligated to do, which is how your post was worded ("I decided to try my luck as a walk-in")?

For those who read here, they may very well be left with the impression that they are not entitled to signature capture without an appointment. And that is not how it is.
Honestly, I have no clue what compelled you to post something like "did you read the letter?" but I'll just assume that a little gets lost in translation online and walk away from this one by saying that we don't always get what we may be entitled to and that just because the letter says so...well, you know the rest. I don't think anything I said or did warranted you to attack my reading comprehension or merited a comment like, "climb down off the high horse." Chill out.

I said "try my luck" because walk-ins ARE based on the availability of a US CBP officer being free between appointments to do your signature capture. the GOES site showed SFO as solidly booked through May.

Last edited by immaculate; Mar 28, 2015 at 7:03 am Reason: edit to add clarification on "try my luck"
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:03 am

You may log into the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) at www.cbp.gov to schedule an interview to finalize your enrollment; or finalize your enrollment on a walk-in basis. If you choose to finalize your enrollment as a walk-in, be aware that scheduled appointments have priority and you will be seen at the first available opportunity.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:24 pm

Honestly, I have no clue what compelled you to post something like "did you read the letter?"..... Chill out.
There's an often used function on FT called the 'ignore list'......works wonders
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
now we can use US APEC card in Taiwan APEC lane, it is done. I believe several Taiwanese American ask Taiwan congressman to push both Domestic affair and Foreign affair officers to explain why and to resolve this issue.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
Originally Posted by wpyeh
Was denied to use APEC lane and I asked officer to show official document why! After he showed me a paper I told him this is not an official government document. He let me in and speaks nothing.
you should be able to use it now.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wpyeh
now we can use US APEC card in Taiwan APEC lane, it is done. I believe several Taiwanese American ask Taiwan congressman to push both Domestic affair and Foreign affair officers to explain why and to resolve this issue.
Great news, thank you - not sure why they made it so difficult
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: free agent
Theoretically yes, but you would be guessing which terminal has shorter immigration queues and you would be mispositioned for picking up any checked luggage.

I would prefer that Singapore just implement APEC entry properly, i.e., a dedicated queue or at least one that is not shared by as many people are in the regular queues.
I have done this once due to meeting someone arriving in a different terminal and the IO was not happy about it one bit. Did finally let me through, though.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:54 pm

How do I use APEC?

I'm traveling to several Asian countries for the next 6 months and I have the APEC business card. Do I enter a number somewhere in my airline ticket information or do I just present the card at customs? I read "pre-clearance" on a few websites and assumed that meant I needed to input the card number beforehand.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:35 pm

The card allows you to use the dedicated APEC/Diplomat/Air Crew immigration queue at airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.