Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:47 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
All locations should be the same in terms of mailing time; they are mailed from a GPO facility, not from the enrollment centers.
Thanks to you both...

Noted. Being not too far from the NE, then I should PROBABLY be okay...I think I'll chance it!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jfkeze
Report from SGN - September 2014:
Got my Visa on Arrival, then went to the APEC line, agent was curious about no mention of Vietnam on the back. Told him Americans don't have any country info on the back..
we laughed about it a bit and saved some decent time...
Same exact thing two days ago in the Philippines.

Curious, was your Vietnamese visa on arrival a tourist visa or a business visa?

Originally Posted by seawolf
The card is mailed out from the same facility (I believe somewhere in the Northeast) regardless of where you enroll.
Originally Posted by Ari
All locations should be the same in terms of mailing time; they are mailed from a GPO facility, not from the enrollment centers.
I enrolled for ABTC at LAX (already had Global Entry) and the return address on my ABTC was LAX.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:42 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I enrolled for ABTC at LAX (already had Global Entry) and the return address on my ABTC was LAX.
The return address is the enrollment center so that they get undeliverable cards back and can follow up. The cards are printed and mailed from a central facility. The return address on an envelope is not a reliable indicator of place of mailing.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Ari
The return address is the enrollment center so that they get undeliverable cards back and can follow up. The cards are printed and mailed from a central facility. The return address on an envelope is not a reliable indicator of place of mailing.
I was a little surprised to think that each enrollment center would have its own card printer and stock of lamination materials.

So what you say makes sense, but how do you know?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:30 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was a little surprised to think that each enrollment center would have its own card printer and stock of lamination materials.

So what you say makes sense, but how do you know?
I was told by a CBPO that the GPO prints them.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Did my GE and APEC card application at the IAH in-terminal E CBP office as it was MUCH easier to get an appointment. Took all of 5 minutes for both; the CBP officer had to call to ask about the APEC card, it was the first he'd done. Did my signature and fingerprints and that was that. Appointment was on 9/2 and I got my card in the mail 9/8.

Uninformed guess on lack of country information on the back: Considering that the US card isn't a visa replacement, not much sense in doing the work of pre-clearing applicants and printing the countries that approve when they have to go through standard visa processes anyway.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Used ABTC when arriving at KIX last week. The ABTC line was basically closed, but when I walked up to it, a supervisor saw me from his office and walked up to process me. He looked at the back and noticed it was blank and asked what countries it was for, and I just said I didn't know. I made it through without hassle, though KIX was really slow at that time of day (I was on the UA SFO-KIX flight) so it didn't really save time over the "normal" line in this case.

I did find an added bonus to the ABTC. I had a tour of the Imperial Palace in Kyoto and I believe my passport number was required when it was booked. I didn't realize this when checking in for the tour, so I didn't have my passport with me, but I handed the clerk my ABTC card which does have my passport number on the back, and that seemed to work.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Same exact thing two days ago in the Philippines.

Curious, was your Vietnamese visa on arrival a tourist visa or a business visa?
Most likely a tourist visa from colleagues experience.
(that being said the stamp itself does not specify for what purpose and only states entry date and 'permitted to remain until DDMMYY')
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Most likely a tourist visa from colleagues experience.
(that being said the stamp itself does not specify for what purpose and only states entry date and 'permitted to remain until DDMMYY')
The entry stamp in the Philippines is specifically marked "APEC".

The reason I asked the question originally is that there is a disconnect here.

ABTC is for use on business travel. If the card is used in connection with a tourist visa, it is obviously not being used for business purposes.

Since the U.S. couldn't be bothered to set-up a pre-clearance procedure, I suspect this is going to ultimately be an issue in some countries.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The entry stamp in the Philippines is specifically marked "APEC".

The reason I asked the question originally is that there is a disconnect here.

ABTC is for use on business travel. If the card is used in connection with a tourist visa, it is obviously not being used for business purposes.

Since the U.S. couldn't be bothered to set-up a pre-clearance procedure, I suspect this is going to ultimately be an issue in some countries.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure I'm following.

My understanding is the ABTC member is suppose to obtain the proper visa in order to use the card. If only tourist visas are being offered on arrival, then the issue is that the ABTC member is not complying with the ABTC scheme.

Wouldn't it be the same issue as if a non-US ABTC member got denied for pre-clearance by that VoA country and attempted to enter using ABTC and a tourist VoA?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure I'm following.

My understanding is the ABTC member is suppose to obtain the proper visa in order to use the card.
Yes, the proper visa being a business visa.

If only tourist visas are being offered on arrival, then the issue is that the ABTC member is not complying with the ABTC scheme.
Correct. A business visa should have been obtained in advance (because the U.S. didn't bother to set up a preclearance procedure so a separate business visa wouldn't be required).

Wouldn't it be the same issue as if a non-US ABTC member got denied for pre-clearance by that VoA country and attempted to enter using ABTC and a tourist VoA?
Yes, but ALL U.S. card holders are not pre-cleared and have to obtain visas. I would venture a guess that the number of foreign card holders who are denied preclearance for a particular country is pretty darn small.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Yes, the proper visa being a business visa.

Correct. A business visa should have been obtained in advance (because the U.S. didn't bother to set up a preclearance procedure so a separate business visa wouldn't be required).

Yes, but ALL U.S. card holders are not pre-cleared and have to obtain visas. I would venture a guess that the number of foreign card holders who are denied preclearance for a particular country is pretty darn small.
I think the underlying issue is really one of education and enforcement.

In my opinion, there are three groups here:
  1. Those who are aware of the rules and comply with them.
  2. Those who are aware of the rules and choose not to comply.
  3. Those who are not aware of the rules (just blindly agree to ABTC enrollment conditions).

Group 1 - no issues with how they are using ABTC.
Group 2 - pre-clearance helps them skirt the rules as they were fully aware they are not to use travel visa with ABTC. This group will probably use it for holiday or attempt to take their entire family thru APEC lines.
Group 3 - pre-clearance helps them skirt the rules as they are responsible on knowing what the rules are to begin with. This group will probably use it for holiday or attempt to take their entire family thru APEC lines.

Preclearance does not solve the "abuse" of the scheme.

If usage of ABTC inconsistent with its intent grows in numbers to become a problem, the US should start implementing procedures similar to NEXUS enrollment where they make you sign a form acknowledging that you have been provided with a copy of the rules and understanding them or risk being drummed out of the program.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:27 pm

This is an interesting issue to discuss. Yes, according the ABTC framework, the card should not be used for leisure trips (although in reality some people do try to use it this way, which some economies let slide while others may object).

Of course the framework was not originally designed to consider the existence of transitional members. So I am not sure what the APEC consensus would be on U.S. cardholders trying to enter an economy such as Viet Nam on a tourist visa. If Viet Nam itself is comfortable with this practice, then there is no issue.

Regarding ABTC cardholders from the full member economies, it is extremely rare for preclearance to be rejected. This would only happen if the applicant had some past egregious visa violation or criminal record in the economy in question, which is rare for senior executives.

If preclearance were rejected, and a visa was necessary to enter the economy in question, then the cardholder might not be able to enter that economy because if he/she has committed some offense bad enough to be rejected for preclearance then he/she might well be rejected for a normal visa as well.

If preclearance were rejected, and a visa was not necessary to enter the economy in question, then presumably the cardholder could still use the fast track APEC lane to enter the economy, since it is not necessary to have the economy in question printed on your card.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Business Travel Card (ABTC) anyone applied?

Hello all.
If this has been discussed prior, mods please merge.
I want to apply for this ABTC card, but cannot seem to get to the application form. I followed the instructions on the CBSA site....then signed into my GOES account as instructed...and that's where I get stuck.
I cannot find the link to apply for this card. I went so far as to call CBSA but they told me they couldn't help me as GOES is run by US border services.
So I called GOES, got a message recording saying my wait would be over 30 minutes, then the line goes dead.
So...anyone successfully apply for this card....if so please help.
All guidance appreciated.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As there is a whole forum for the discussion of trusted traveller programs on FT aptly titled Trusted Travellers this thread has been relocated there for more input.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.