Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes, I received my physical renewal card a few months ago.
I have never heard of a virtual APEC card.
It's a new thing as a option in certain full-member APEC countries, e.g., Oz.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 54austin
Adding my success with APEC use at Tokyo HND airport (inbound, Terminal 3) on Nov 14, 2022. Flying JAL from Singapore. Just before the immigration counters at HND, there is a sign that points left for APEC. We showed our cards to an attendant and were directed left. The regular counters had what looked like a long wait. Only 3 parties ahead of us on the APEC/diplomat line. We handed the immigration officer our APEC card along with passports, but he didn't even look at the card. We were slightly nervous about this because there are no endorsements on the back side of our cards, so this was a relief. No questions about purpose of visit or our employment or anything else remotely related to APEC card usage (YMMV, obviously)..
When you say "we" did each traveler have an APEC have a card or just one person? Also were all travelers family members? We will be visiting in April and just wondering if I will get the heisman bringing my daughter thru the line.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by candgfan
When did APEC stop offering printed cards? I got mine renewed in 2021 and have a physical card.
Currently only some economies offer the virtual card - Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Brunei, Chile, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru, Phillipines, and Thailand. They no longer issue physical cards at all (which makes their cards invalid for China and Russia - though the second is kind of a moot point). Like most apps developed by the Australian Government, it's pretty painful to use.

I doubt the US and Canada are planning to move to virtual ABTC given the total lack of interest in expanding the scheme. I also don't envisage much success using a virtual ABTC in crew/diplomat lanes at US airports as a result!
candgfan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 4:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
https://www.apec.org/groups/committe...p/virtual-abtc

There is a FAQ included.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
When you say "we" did each traveler have an APEC have a card or just one person? Also were all travelers family members? We will be visiting in April and just wondering if I will get the heisman bringing my daughter thru the line.
we each had one
Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Entered NRT today with a Canadian version of the card. I was directed to a line that appeared to be for diplomates. There was an American ahead of me in line with the US version of the ABTC but he went to a different immigration officer and took slightly longer to get processed.

When I arrived at the counter, the officer seemed confused by the empty list of countries and pointed to it and said something to me in Japanese. He then turned and had a conversation with his coworker while pointing to my card and turning it over again and again. After their conversation, everything progressed as expected and I was through.
kevino, lsquare and candgfan like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:53 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Dual AU/CA citizen. In DPS airport (exit) - flashed CA ABTC/APEC card (clearly on holiday) to get me, family + in-laws direct to the crew line exiting on an AU passport. Immigration agent didn't check the card.

Finally came in handy!
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

Folks,

This thread is only for discussing ABTC/APEC cards which were issued by the US or Canada.

If your card was issued by another country, please do not post your experiences in this thread. There are other threads for discussing such cards or you may start a new thread.

Future off-topic posts will be summarily deleted without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:07 pm

Hi all,

People may find this interesting. I have US global entry (US passport) and it's expiring later this year, so applied to renew it 4 months ago. I decided to apply for APEC card as well since I travel a lot in Asia on business.

Of course GE renewal has been stuck in "Pending Review" for 4 months now, so the APEC application hasn't been processed either.

I finally got fed up and applied for APEC again (another $70) under my old GE (the one that is expiring later this year and still shows "approved" at the bottom of the screen) and got **instant conditional approval**.

Sigh, I could have done that 4 months ago.

So now I need to do an interview. Anyone had luck getting an interview in Singapore at the US embassy? It's completely booked up until Sept. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I fly back to the US.

Refurb
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by jianglai
Anyone had experience doing walk-ins for the interview? I applied through the Nexus program so I can only schedule the interview at a Nexus center... Was thinking about doing a walk-in at a global entry location in New York, but called JFK and they said they only do appointments and only do Global Entry and not Nexus (not sure if the person understood me correctly that I am completing an APEC interview).
I did a walk-in at JFK T4 on a Thursday afternoon in mid-March. I had my letter, passport, driver license (proof of address), and business card with me. A CBP agent took me right away; asked me some questions to bring my file current (employment info) and understand my reasons for getting the card; and took my photo and signature. It took perhaps 10 minutes. I received my card in the mail roughly two weeks later.

I have Global Entry, not Nexus, so your experience may not be comparable.

Last edited by Petdog; Apr 1, 2023 at 11:15 pm Reason: forgot they collected my signature
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Used at HND Friday night and bypassed a nice line. Line was clearly marked just to left of regular line and nobody questioned my 13yr old with me on “biz” trip. ABTC has literally saved me hours in lines
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Apr 4, 2023 at 7:52 am
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:42 am

Did my interview. Was basically asked “What’s your job?” and when I said “I work for X industry and fly to countries like Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan” the response was “That’s all I need to know”.

Did the digital signature. Took 5 min total.

Got the approval email 10 min later.

One important point - they said “the card can only be mailed to a US address”. I already had a US address i can use associated with my GE account, but they said “for some people that’s a problem”

Last edited by refurb; Apr 6, 2023 at 8:52 pm
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:08 pm

Did my interview at PHL today. The officer asked "You're here to sign for your APEC card, right?" Had to use another officer's machine. That was it.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:26 pm

Any experience bringing a same-sex partner through the APEC line? I imagine this would be an issue in certain Asian countries, just wondering if anyone has tried.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 4:01 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by refurb
One important point - they said “the card can only be mailed to a US address”. I already had a US address i can use associated with my GE account, but they said “for some people that’s a problem”
That's interesting, because I did my initial Global Entry interview in Tokyo about 8 years ago -- they had a DHS person come out to do interviews at the American Chamber's office. ABTC then got mailed to my address in Japan. There may be similar opportunities in other countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.