Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
Cincinnati (CVG) can be added to the list as working. The CBP Officer told me that they had installed the signature pad about 2 hours prior to my appointment, and that I was the first one to come through that office for it.

One thing to note: I was asked for documentation supporting my profession and relevant travel information for why I thought I'd be eligible. I was not prepared with any official form of supporting paperwork, as neither the website or invitation letter list that as an item bring to the office when your signature is collected. After a conversation regarding my occupation and the officer browsing my passport for visas she thought it was clear that I was the target audience and approved me.

*Should also note that this office is not inside of CVG, but a mile or two away on Minneola Pike. Same location for GE interviews.

Last edited by keoughma; Jul 16, 2014 at 3:01 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:35 am

Card received

Originally Posted by Theforeigner
Did a walk in at sfo today - had to wait for 15 mins before I was called in. Process took less than five mins. Online status shows approved - will update when card is received.
Got card yesterday (walked in for signature Sunday).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by keoughma
Cincinnati (CVG) can be added to the list as working. The CBP Officer told me that they had installed the signature pad about 2 hours prior to my appointment, and that I was the first one to come through that office for it.

One thing to note: I was asked for documentation supporting my profession and relevant travel information for why I thought I'd be eligible. I was not prepared with any official form of supporting paperwork, as neither the website or invitation letter list that as an item bring to the office when your signature is collected. After a conversation regarding my occupation and the officer browsing my passport for visas she thought it was clear that I was the target audience and approved me.

*Should also note that this office is not inside of CVG, but a mile or two away on Minneola Pike. Same location for GE interviews.

Yeah - I was asked for a business card at sfo and did not have one (Sunday - I was in flip flops) - officer asked what my position was and where and what I needed to travel for. Did not ask for passport - they can see travel details on their system I believe...took less than five mins and was approved.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: BR *G, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Silver
just landed TPE and used my ABTC thru ABTC lane. The immigration officer looked at the back of my ABTC and was wondering how come no country code was on it. She asked me to line-up in regular lane next time and I had to educate her US is a special case and blah blah blah. hopefully she can pass the info to her colleagues...but anyways, I'm in...

let's hope I can use the ABTC lane when I leave TPE...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikef11
just landed TPE and used my ABTC thru ABTC lane. The immigration officer looked at the back of my ABTC and was wondering how come no country code was on it. She asked me to line-up in regular lane next time and I had to educate her US is a special case and blah blah blah. hopefully she can pass the info to her colleagues...but anyways, I'm in...

Thanks for the report.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the update - I will be going to TPE a couple of times this year - hopefully repeated exposure will train them....

Would be great to hear other reports...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AsiaFlyer2014
Perhaps there is a more visible place for this thread.

About the number of cardholders, China actually has the most now, but you are right that Australia is also a heavyweight.
I stand corrected.

You are not seeing any usage reports from U.S. cardholders yet because very few people have the card in hand at this point. I'm sure the reports will start rolling in come August or September.
Hopefully they are more streamlined than the one below.

Oh Dear. Looks like there's going to be a learning curve. APEC should put out a memo right away to nip this in the bud.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Oh Dear. Looks like there's going to be a learning curve. APEC should put out a memo right away to nip this in the bud.
More helpful would be an updated page on the website that we can print out and carry with us to help educate immigration officers in the various APEC countries.

I tried to search for something but no luck....maybe someone else has more patience and can find and post here?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:41 pm

Thanks for the report. My understanding is that it doesn't matter which economy you come from, even if the economy you are visiting is not listed for pre-clearance you should still be able to use the fast-track lane there.

However, the Singapore immigration authority site says:

"For the purpose of providing greater convenience, all ABTC holders (with or without pre-clearance) can also enjoy extended border facilitation, i.e. they would be allowed to use the APEC lanes in all participating economies, except when entering Chinese Taipei (to use designated lanes in Chinese Taipei, card holders must obtain prior pre-clearance)."

In any event the completely blank U.S. card is bound to surprise some staff at first. There is definitely going to be a learning curve. Hopefully as the other economies start seeing a surge of incoming U.S. cardholders they will catch on fast.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by keoughma

Received my card yesterday, 21-July-2014, after the signature collection on 16-July-2014.

Can someone add CVG to the Wiki? I'm unable to.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:10 am

OT as it relates to HK ABCT status. But does offer glimpse of how other economies work.

Approval letter received 4 weeks after application, includes pre-clearance to a few economies. Will require up to 3-4 months to complete pre-clearance for other economies. Interim card can be issued at time, usually takes two weeks after formal request is filed. Status of other economies available on-line.

So it appears the pre-clearance by individual countries is real and does take time, unlike the perfunctory approval stateside. My target economies not completed yet, i.e. Vietnam/Indonesia. So will patiently wait
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Success at IAD today. Had to wait 10 minutes while they booted up the computer that had the signature pad on it. The officer said they've done a number of ABTC applications before, but I was the first one that day (11am).

Once the computer was ready, the whole process took under 5 minutes. He asked a bit about my business/travel, but I also showed him my business card which includes our office address in SE Asia, and I think that was convincing enough.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
OT as it relates to HK ABCT status. But does offer glimpse of how other economies work.

Approval letter received 4 weeks after application, includes pre-clearance to a few economies. Will require up to 3-4 months to complete pre-clearance for other economies. Interim card can be issued at time, usually takes two weeks after formal request is filed. Status of other economies available on-line.

So it appears the pre-clearance by individual countries is real and does take time, unlike the perfunctory approval stateside. My target economies not completed yet, i.e. Vietnam/Indonesia. So will patiently wait
Thanks for the update. I would be interested to hear which economies are the slowest to approve pre-clearance. It seems there are 4 or 5 usual suspects.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:30 pm

Thanks for the update. I would be interested to hear which economies are the slowest to approve pre-clearance. It seems there are 4 or 5 usual suspects.
Approved for now:
Hong Kong (China)
Korea
Hong Kong (China)
Brunei Darussalam
Peru

Not -sure why HK {China} appears twice but they did advise need re-entry permit to enter in lieu of visa.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
Approved for now:
Hong Kong (China)
Korea
Hong Kong (China)
Brunei Darussalam
Peru

Not -sure why HK {China} appears twice but they did advise need re-entry permit to enter in lieu of visa.
Thanks for the update. I'm not sure why HK appears twice either.

Korea seems to run this program very efficiently, so it's not surprising to see them answer quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.