Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
This would require a fairly significant change on US Visa policy due to the requirement for reciprocity.

Residents of over half of the APEC countries require a visa to enter the US, and getting a US visa always means an in-person application. Allowing select people from those countries to receive what is basically a visa without going through such an interview would be a fairly major change.

Slightly under half of the countries are VWP countries for which they would probably be happy to do it, but applying different rules to different countries almost certainly isn't going to get visa-free access for US citizens, and especially not to the non-VWP countries.
Even if even there was no requirement to reciprocate, the US burden of proof of being a bona-fide business person to be eligible for US ABTC is non-existent (eg check a box to "self-certify").

As such, convincing the other countries.to pre-clear US-issued ABTC would be tantamount to granting all US passports visa-free access. If those countries weren't politically inclined to do so today, I don't see a reason why they would do so for US ABTC especially without reciprocity.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:33 am

I have had problems using my Canadian issued APEC ABTC card at MEX, CUN and, SJD on several occasions now and I am getting quite frustrated. Either 1) a security person manning the crew lane doesn't want to let me enter the lane because they've never heard of the program and they say that I'm not eligible; 2) I get into the lane because there's no security person guarding the entrance but when I get to the immigration counter, the officer is not familiar with the program and says that I'm not eligible to use that lane; or 3) the officer looks at the back of my card and since Mexico is not indicated says that I cannot use the card in Mexico. Eventually I've been able to persuade them to let me through but it's very stressful and I'm always afraid that I'll be sent back to the regular queue, which continues to grow longer while I am busy trying to persuade the officer that the program is legit and that I am entitled to the benefits. Does anyone have a solution in mind? Is there a written, Mexican government-issued policy in Spanish that I can print and bring with me to show the officer whenever I am being challenged? I don't think the officers are deliberately trying to be difficult, I think they really just don't understand the program or know enough about it. Help.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Leopardz
Either 1) a security person manning the crew lane doesn't want to let me enter the lane because they've never heard of the program and they say that I'm not eligible;
ABTC does NOT give you the right to use the "crew" line. It gives you the right to use whichever line - IF ANY - the airport has decided to designate as being for ABTC. There is NO requirement for every airport to have such a line, and no requirement for them to let you use the crew line or any other line if there is no designated ABTC line.

In many cases the ABTC line, where there is one, is the same line as the crew line, but even that's not always the case.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to find that CUN and SJD simply don't have an ABTC line. As a comparison, tomorrow I'm flying to Australia - specifically OOL (Gold Coast International airport, on the NSW/QLD border), which does not have an ABTC line nor any alternative. If I was instead going to Sydney or Brisbane then they do, but OOL being less of a business destination does not.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
As a comparison, tomorrow I'm flying to Australia - specifically OOL (Gold Coast International airport, on the NSW/QLD border), which does not have an ABTC line nor any alternative. If I was instead going to Sydney or Brisbane then they do, but OOL being less of a business destination does not.
In SYD, Border Force would say "there is no different line for APEC (or crew). But you can skirt around the roped areas to then queue up in front of one specific customs officer.

Of course the kiosk + scan is preferred and typically faster ... unless your passport isn't eligible, passport chip is broken, or you have a track record of not passing the biometric scan
Old May 13, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by shuuy
In SYD, Border Force would say "there is no different line for APEC (or crew). But you can skirt around the roped areas to then queue up in front of one specific customs officer.
I was just there last week, and there definitely was a different line for APEC (and crew (and people in wheelchairs)) on the far left of the immigration queues, which I used.

Originally Posted by shuuy
Of course the kiosk + scan is preferred and typically faster ... unless your passport isn't eligible, passport chip is broken, or you have a track record of not passing the biometric scan
In retrospect, I'm sure that's true. Next time I won't use the APEC line.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:36 am

I have come across program information online that states the following information for Mexico:
“APEC Cardholders are entitled to use immigration lanes currently designated for air-crew upon entry at major international airports. Where possible, APEC lanes are signposted.”
Link: http://www.philexport.ph/c/document_...groupId=127524

There’s also something similar on an informational page for ABTC cardholders in Hong Kong.

It also wouldn’t make sense for Mexico to be allowed to participate in the ABTC program if they were not providing benefits at its major airports. One of the biggest challenges I encountered was at MEX - the problem wasn’t limited to CUN and SJD.

Are there no official guidelines or regulations published anywhere?

ABTC does NOT give you the right to use the "crew" line. It gives you the right to use whichever line - IF ANY - the airport has decided to designate as being for ABTC. There is NO requirement for every airport to have such a line, and no requirement for them to let you use the crew line or any other line if there is no designated ABTC line.

In many cases the ABTC line, where there is one, is the same line as the crew line, but even that's not always the case.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to find that CUN and SJD simply don't have an ABTC line. As a comparison, tomorrow I'm flying to Australia - specifically OOL (Gold Coast International airport, on the NSW/QLD border), which does not have an ABTC line nor any alternative. If I was instead going to Sydney or Brisbane then they do, but OOL being less of a business destination does not.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Leopardz
It also wouldn’t make sense for Mexico to be allowed to participate in the ABTC program if they were not providing benefits at its major airports. One of the biggest challenges I encountered was at MEX - the problem wasn’t limited to CUN and SJD.
Have used ABTC multiple times at all these locations (at MEX solo and at SJD, CUN and PVR with family) and never once questioned or hassled by the line checker. I find it helps to be polite - on occasion I have let handicap/seniors in front of me and I can see that courtesy is appreciated by the immigration officer.

I am sure they get plenty of scammers trying to find a way to bypass the long lines (as I often see people turned away who do not have the card) so maybe for whatever reason they have decided you fall into that category. And yes, the crew/diplomat line is designated for ABTC at MEX.

Last edited by Boraxo; May 15, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old May 15, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kawaii
FWIW, I was just through DMK a few weeks back and used my ABTC card. They stamped for 30 days (presumably tourist visa - it looks like H.30? and the expiry was 30 days out).

I think it is important that we separate the two facts - for my US-issued ABTC, I used it for the ability to use the diplomatic lane, but for visa purposes, relied on the tourist visa-free exception. While I appreciate that the stated use of ABTC is for business-only. this is one of the many times that immigration seemed fine to allow use of ABTC while traveling for leisure.

They are probably within their right to turn ABTC holders away if you don't have a business visa, but I have yet to experience that myself (and I don't think I've seen a story to that effect here).
Hi there,

I am using this old post to see if I am allowed to use ABTC ? I am recent US ABTC card holder. I travel to many
countries in the world for business. Most of the countries I visit are either visa free or visa on arrival for
US citizens... None of the immigration guys ask me if I am here for business ?
I do not have business visa for any country in EMEA or APAC but most of my visits are for
customer/partner meetings. My understanding of "business visa" is usually for a consultant
doing 3 months of work in the country or something to that effect. (Long term actual production of
goods/service). Never thought of getting business visa to visit a customer/partner in any country.

I recently got this card but reading this thread is making me feel like I may be asked if I
am doing any "business" in the country and if I say yes, they may ask me for business
version of the visa. Just wanted to see if there are others that have similar business reasons to
visit other APAC countries and are being asked to produce a business visa to enter ???

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by flyalways; May 16, 2019 at 4:53 am
Old May 15, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have never been hassled over the type of visa or with visa on arrival in Mexico, etc. To be fair I used a business visa when I entered Indonesia and China.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:45 pm

It’s really interesting to hear about your experience. What frustrates me even more is that I am actually visiting for business reasons and not trying to use the card to fast track my way through immigration so that I can start my vacation.

I tried applying for their Viajero Confiable program through the website as a backup but have never been able to receive a confirmation that my application has been received. Seems that there’s a problem with the online submission process.

I’m confident that I’d have less problems if I could find some sort of communique written in Spanish by the Mexican government regarding their participation in the ABTC program, but so far no luck.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Have used ABTC multiple times at all these locations (at MEX solo and at SJD, CUN and PVR with family) and never once questioned or hassled by the line checker. I find it helps to be polite - on occasion I have let handicap/seniors in front of me and I can see that courtesy is appreciated by the immigration officer.

I am sure they get plenty of scammers trying to find a way to bypass the long lines (as I often see people turned away who do not have the card) so maybe for whatever reason they have decided you fall into that category. And yes, the crew/diplomat line is designated for ABTC at MEX.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Anyone got their credit card global entry benefit successfully credit this $70 APEC fee instead of the $100 GE fee?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:19 pm

Where do you add your APEC/ABTC # on your airline profiles?

Where did you all add your ABTC # on your airline profiles? Or do you need to add it at all? I have Global Entry, and just got my ABTC.

For Global Entry, I added my PASSID/Known Traveler Number to all my airline profiles... are we supposed to do the same for the ABTC #? I can't seem to find anywhere in my profiles to add my #.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by purplepotato
Where did you all add your ABTC # on your airline profiles? Or do you need to add it at all? I have Global Entry, and just got my ABTC.

For Global Entry, I added my PASSID/Known Traveler Number to all my airline profiles... are we supposed to do the same for the ABTC #? I can't seem to find anywhere in my profiles to add my #.
Adding the PassID or KTN to your reservations or airline profiles enables you to get the PreCheck designation on your boarding passes. It has nothing to do with accessing the Global Entry or NEXUS kiosks.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
Anyone got their credit card global entry benefit successfully credit this $70 APEC fee instead of the $100 GE fee?
I paid using my CSR, crossed my fingers for the benefit but it never came.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by purplepotato
Where did you all add your ABTC # on your airline profiles? Or do you need to add it at all?
You don't need to add it. You just need to show the card when you go through immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.