Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by tookay
There is never a queue and the other plus is you don't get a space wasting stamp in your passport.
I didn't think non-e Gate HK passports get a stamp (last 8 years, I've always had the ticket put into my passport)...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
I finally signed into the new Trusted Traveler web site to renew my APEC card. Updated login/registration process went smoothly. The new site was clean and functional, performant, and it was easy to navigate and find the information I needed to renew, update personal information, etc... Kudos to whoever built it.

Also kudos to the renewal process itself, which was quick and painless. Immediate approval, and notice that I'll be getting my updated card within 3 weeks.

<redacted>

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 14, 2018 at 12:58 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:03 pm

I’ve tried using my card twice at SJD. First time no problem. Second time the immigration officer said the queue was for diplomats only that the APEC ABTC card was not recognized. What documentation can I print and carry with me so that next time if the officer is not familiar with the program I can provide him with the information needed to inform him? I was looking for something official that states which Mexican airports participate but I can’t find anything.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Leopardz
I’ve tried using my card twice at SJD. First time no problem. Second time the immigration officer said the queue was for diplomats only that the APEC ABTC card was not recognized. What documentation can I print and carry with me so that next time if the officer is not familiar with the program I can provide him with the information needed to inform him? I was looking for something official that states which Mexican airports participate but I can’t find anything.
You can send an email to [email protected] or call +55 5387 2400 ext. 18594 and / or 18429.

Source: Instituto Nacional de Migración | Acciones y Programas | Tarjeta de Viaje de Negocios APEC
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Just wanted to say that I've used my APEC card to get into Taiwan (via TPE) many times over the last several years and it's been a great thing to have. Even if I still have to wait for my luggage to appear, it's so very nice not having to stand in a giant crowd queuing for the non-citizen border control lanes.

That said, I've used this card for nearly 4 years now, and ONLY NOW finally found where the "secret" APEC security and out-bound border crossing is at TPE. HOLY COW! It took me no more than 5 minutes to get through the security theatre AND the border control, I was the only one in line. And unless you know where it is, you'd probably never see it, because there were no signs. In fact, I had to walk up and ask the security agent if this was the APEC line due to the lack of signage.

So pro-tip if you're like me and have not seen this line before... it's directly behind the United counters in Terminal 2 at TPE. You go through an unlabeled door directly behind the United counters, at the end of that hall take a right and the security line is straight ahead (you pass a visa window on your left). I would never have found this had the United agent not noticed my APEC card and pointed it out to me. So kudos to a greate UA agent for helping me avoid the insane security lines at TPE.
rjh, princesakura and GoSh4rks like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Just wanted to say that I've used my APEC card to get into Taiwan (via TPE) many times over the last several years and it's been a great thing to have. Even if I still have to wait for my luggage to appear, it's so very nice not having to stand in a giant crowd queuing for the non-citizen border control lanes.

That said, I've used this card for nearly 4 years now, and ONLY NOW finally found where the "secret" APEC security and out-bound border crossing is at TPE. HOLY COW! It took me no more than 5 minutes to get through the security theatre AND the border control, I was the only one in line. And unless you know where it is, you'd probably never see it, because there were no signs. In fact, I had to walk up and ask the security agent if this was the APEC line due to the lack of signage.

So pro-tip if you're like me and have not seen this line before... it's directly behind the United counters in Terminal 2 at TPE. You go through an unlabeled door directly behind the United counters, at the end of that hall take a right and the security line is straight ahead (you pass a visa window on your left). I would never have found this had the United agent not noticed my APEC card and pointed it out to me. So kudos to a greate UA agent for helping me avoid the insane security lines at TPE.
Yes, not only is the entrance well hidden, but if you ask the airport staff, they will strong-arm you over to the regular line and claim there is no APEC.

Note, this entrance has limited hours - usually at 4pm they close, so you need to do the regular security line, but you can swing over to the far left and use the APEC/Diplomat immigration counter for your exit if the regular counters are backed up.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Leopardz
never had a problem at SJD. Also just used at PVR - walked by the massive line with my family (and pre-filed online with completed forms preprinted) with no hassle. It helps not to have cop a DYKWIA attitude
meducate likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I have a US passport, am based at SFO and have had my APEC card for about a year. While I've used the APEC card numerous times, I've never used it on return at SFO, instead just using the GE kiosks / and line. I've hesitated because I'm not entirely sure of the process and didn't want to get snarled at by CBP staff.
So if I want to use my APEC card upon reentry at SFO, do I need to present a Customs form or use the GE kiosk and then move to the APEC line?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mongobot
So if I want to use my APEC card upon reentry at SFO, do I need to present a Customs form or use the GE kiosk and then move to the APEC line?
If you're GE, what benefit do you think you're going to get out of using the crew line?

I use my ABTC card and the crew line every time I enter the US (most commonly at SFO), but only because I can't use a kiosk (foreigner with a visa). Given the option I'd be using GE every time!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
If the APEC line allowed me to skip using the GE kiosk, it would likely be faster. If not for the time spent at the kiosk itself but also there is sometimes a line (albeit not very long) at GE.

Originally Posted by docbert
If you're GE, what benefit do you think you're going to get out of using the crew line?

I use my ABTC card and the crew line every time I enter the US (most commonly at SFO), but only because I can't use a kiosk (foreigner with a visa). Given the option I'd be using GE every time!
seawolf likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Hi, I have my ABTC interview in the US Embassy in Singapore this week, and was wondering if anyone could share experiences as to what will be required of me? I have a real estate investment business in the US, and have been traveling around Asia this last year (6 or 7 countries, bouncing around sporadically) looking for investment opportunities, mainly for a small hotel property. I spent a good bit of money coming over to Singapore while I was in Thailand, so I want to make sure I get my card Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
APEC interview happened but no update on dashboard

Am Canadian, and my NEXUS is expiring next year, so I figured I'd go online and see what's up. I found that I could apply for an APEC card so I decided to do that while also submitting the renewal for NEXUS. So eventually (around September/October of this year),
  • For my NEXUS, I was at the "Wait for conditional approval" stage
  • For my APEC, I was "Schedule interview" stage
I scheduled my APEC interview for mid-November and I went. While I was there, I asked if I could also do the NEXUS renewal interview as well (since I was there anyway) and they said no and that I would have to come back later. Anyway, after a month or so, I get a card in the mail and it's my newly renewed NEXUS card with no mention of the APEC card. I went online onto the dashboard and my APEC interview is still in the "Conditionally Approved" stage. I'm even given an option to reschedule or cancel an interview (even though I already had the interview!).

Did someone in the government mix something up? Or is this just messy handling on their part and that I should just keep waiting for the APEC?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Has anyone else had a similar experience where the interview happened but the dashboard didn't update?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:58 pm

I just applied for APEC business travel card, the application was surprising easy. After I paid the $70 fee, BOOM! I was conditionally approved. I go schedule a appointment, it only allow me to schedule a interview at a NEXUS enrollment center ... ??? I logout, log back in... same thing. I can only schedule a appointment at a NEXUS enrollment center.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by benny08
I can only schedule a appointment at a NEXUS enrollment center.
Are we to presume you are not a Canadian citizen? Otherwise you might need to be a little more clear about exactly what you think the issue is...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.