Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
Thanks......want to ask an additional question:

Since US/Canadian Citizens can apply through HKG, can a US card be renewed/re-applied in HKG after the passport expires to take advantage of the added countries at the back?

Or is it simply not do-able/not worthwhile to do? TIA
There's really no such thing as a "renewal" per-se. It's a whole new application, and as HK is a full APEC Travel Card Scheme member, requires much more rigorous eligibility criteria, such as evidence of frequent travel to APEC economies for business, and a supporting letter from your employer. If you only use it to access expedited lanes, then the US card is sufficient.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Understand. When I mean renewal, the US will issue the card as a renewal, but if it is applied in HKG, then profile will be sent to those countries for vetting which takes 3-5 months.

Given that U.S. already has quite a few Visa free countries on the list, I think maybe the back of the card isn't that important?

When I applied in U.S., I just need to show my work and my passport (for frequent travel to the APEC countries) to obtain it. Guess I shall stick to the U.S. card...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Ah, yes. Also bear in mind that if you were to get an HK or other overseas ABTC, then every time you get a new one, it will take the same time for vetting - there is no faster vetting for renewals, and you have to provide the same proof as the original app. US is probably fine I think.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:40 am

BTW I had my signature done last time in the U.S......for renewal I don't have to sign again right?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:43 am

BTW I had my signature done last time in the U.S......for renewal I don't have to sign again right?
Not for the USA issues card.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Canadian passport holder, but live in Australia... Are you saying in HK I can apply for the ABTC card?!? I struggle to get Nexus appointments whenever I'm back in the motherland and didn't know this option existed...

Thanks......want to ask an additional question:
Since US/Canadian Citizens can apply through HKG, can a US card be renewed/re-applied in HKG after the passport expires to take advantage of the added countries at the back?
Or is it simply not do-able/not worthwhile to do? TIA
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:39 am

That's correct - in general, you do not have to sign again. In principle, I suppose they could require another interview, but judging from reports on this site, automatic renewals upon request are the norm.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that renewals are now possible a full year before expiration, not just 30 days beforehand, as I believe it used to be.

Last edited by Nexpoman; Jun 5, 2018 at 6:49 am Reason: added information
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
HK issues ABTC for HK residents provided other criteria are met; don’t have to be CHN on passport. This is outside the scope of this topic.

I agree that this certainly has the potential to go off topic; having said that, it is still relevant for ABTC cards for US and Canadian citizens if we keep it there. The Hong Kong application requires US and Canadian citizens - and everyone else, for that matter, including Chinese citizens - to supply a Hong Kong permanent resident number for the application: https://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/id900.pdf This will exclude the vast majority of US and Canadian citizens.

For those who are eligible, the only advantage that a Hong Kong ABTC offers over US or Canadian cards is visa-free access to four countries: Vietnam, China, Papua New Guinea, and Russia. PNG has visas upon arrival for people from the US and Canada, and Vietnam now has an easy-to-use eVisa system, so you could make the case that we're talking only about visa-free travel to China and Russia (granted, I'm over-simplifying a bit to keep this relevant). A Hong Kong ABTC could also avoid the issue of immigration authorities who are unaware that US and Canadian ABTCs do not list countries that have pre-screened individual travelers for visa-free travel, but this problem is rapidly becoming a non-issue, as least according to reports on this site.

Now then, before we inadvertently go off track, I suggest that we take Seawolf's advice and head back to the overwhelming majority of US and Canadian ABTC holders who do not also happen to be permanent residents of Hong Kong!

Last edited by Nexpoman; Jun 5, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by tookay
Just used my ABTC at DPS, going through the diplomatic/ABTC queue off to the left of the immigration hall. Presented the immigration, he flipped it over (and saw nothing there of course) and said "just a minute". He left and went to an office, I suppose to speak with his supervisor. After about five minutes, he returned and said they did not understand why there were no countries listed on the back, but OK, he would stamp me in and I received the usual 30 day visa exempt stamp.

No queue at all at the normal positions. It would have been faster for me to just use one of those, but I wanted to see what would happen at the ABTC queue.
Were you traveling on business or for pleasure? I'm hoping to use my ABTC card on arrival but I'm going there on holiday.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Nexpoman
I agree that this certainly has the potential to go off topic; having said that, it is still relevant for ABTC cards for US and Canadian citizens if we keep it there. The Hong Kong application requires US and Canadian citizens - and everyone else, for that matter, including Chinese citizens - to supply a Hong Kong permanent resident number for the application: https://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/id900.pdf This will exclude the vast majority of US and Canadian citizens.

For those who are eligible, the only advantage that a Hong Kong ABTC offers over US or Canadian cards is visa-free access to four countries: Vietnam, China, Papua New Guinea, and Russia. PNG has visas upon arrival for people from the US and Canada, and Vietnam now has an easy-to-use eVisa system, so you could make the case that we're talking only about visa-free travel to China and Russia (granted, I'm over-simplifying a bit to keep this relevant). A Hong Kong ABTC could also avoid the issue of immigration authorities who are unaware that US and Canadian ABTCs do not list countries that have pre-screened individual travelers for visa-free travel, but this problem is rapidly becoming a non-issue, as least according to reports on this site.

Now then, before we inadvertently go off track, I suggest that we take Seawolf's advice and head back to the overwhelming majority of US and Canadian ABTC holders who do not also happen to be permanent residents of Hong Kong!
Actually Australia is another one that is VISA free for U.S. citizens. Thank you for the thorough analysis though.

There is actually quite a sizable population (although pales in comparison to those who actively comes to APEC countries for trade) who can go through APEC card with PR. Anyone who has a valid work visa (other than domestic helper) who worked in HK for 7 years would qualify. That would include expats from U.S. countries with Hong Kong as their Asian Headquarters.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:00 pm

Another Question: If you use APEC card, then supposedly you are on business. Do you then have to get a business visa (for the five countries that are not visa-free)?

China Business Visa is quite difficult to get, because it requires a party in China to write a letter for you as invitation so that, more or less implied, that company is responsible for your whereabouts. It then makes it difficult for people who just want to go to China to tap individuals for startups and stuff......
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Were you traveling on business or for pleasure? I'm hoping to use my ABTC card on arrival but I'm going there on holiday.
I've never had an issue with using it on holiday traveling with my family - they are usually kind enough to wave me, the wife and the kids all through the expedited line (although, interestingly enough, they wouldn't wave me and two co-workers through, even though two of us had ABTC cards).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Another Question: If you use APEC card, then supposedly you are on business. Do you then have to get a business visa (for the five countries that are not visa-free)?

China Business Visa is quite difficult to get, because it requires a party in China to write a letter for you as invitation so that, more or less implied, that company is responsible for your whereabouts. It then makes it difficult for people who just want to go to China to tap individuals for startups and stuff......
This isn't an issue with the US-issed ABTC (which is the one I have) so I can't say for the HK-issued ABTC. I've never had an immigration agent give me any problems because I've indicated on the immigration form that I was arriving for holiday but still using my ABTC, so I don't think there's necessarily an explicit expectation that you must be on a business visa to use an ABTC.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by kawaii
I've never had an issue with using it on holiday traveling with my family - they are usually kind enough to wave me, the wife and the kids all through the expedited line (although, interestingly enough, they wouldn't wave me and two co-workers through, even though two of us had ABTC cards).
Thank you for this. I’m arriving DPS solo, around midnight, and eager to get to the family in Sanur as quickly as possible. Less concerned about our departure as a family, midday a few weeks later. We ordinarily arrive together on the first flight from SIN so never have a problem. We stopped flying CX years ago due peak arrival time. Midnight not much better as I recall.

Best, Jamie
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kawaii
This isn't an issue with the US-issed ABTC (which is the one I have) so I can't say for the HK-issued ABTC. I've never had an immigration agent give me any problems because I've indicated on the immigration form that I was arriving for holiday but still using my ABTC, so I don't think there's necessarily an explicit expectation that you must be on a business visa to use an ABTC.
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Thank you for this. I’m arriving DPS solo, around midnight, and eager to get to the family in Sanur as quickly as possible. Less concerned about our departure as a family, midday a few weeks later. We ordinarily arrive together on the first flight from SIN so never have a problem. We stopped flying CX years ago due peak arrival time. Midnight not much better as I recall.

Best, Jamie
The B in ABTC stands for Business. Enforcement of business as purpose of visit up to individual immigration officer; similar to how some officer will let you thru even when back of card don’t contain country endorsements while others have to make a call to a supervisor. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.