Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RandomNobody
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family)
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Have you tried using the USPS Informed Delivery website? USPS photographs almost all envelopes that have been mailed, and shows you the front of each envelope being delivered to you.
I don't know how the US sends passports, but in my experience most things that are not a standard envelope size (including thickness) do not get included in Informed Delivery.

It's still a good service, and obviously if they say you're going to receive something you should, but the opposite is not true - I'd say maybe 20% of all of my mail deliveries are not included.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alphaod
Got a new passport, so ordered one first week December, never received the card.

Then I got Nexus, so I ordered another one last week of January. I called them, they said it was send out February 1st. Still haven't seen it.

I remember it used to only take one day to get it since it was being sent from New York.

My dad's I-551 ("Green Card") renewal was lost in the mail also. The replacement for the lost card application has been ongoing for two and half years now. I'm starting to think someone is stealing our cards.
No idea where it is sent from as I don't recall an actual postmark.

Originally Posted by docbert
I don't know how the US sends passports, but in my experience most things that are not a standard envelope size (including thickness) do not get included in Informed Delivery.

It's still a good service, and obviously if they say you're going to receive something you should, but the opposite is not true - I'd say maybe 20% of all of my mail deliveries are not included.
FYI - US passports sent in a Priority Mail 6' X 10' envelope with tracking.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Just got my APEC card on 2/24 after applying on 2/13 and getting the signature at EWR on 2/14. The CBP agent who processed me said I would get the card in a few months, but I knew it would come sooner. Questions asked at the interview/signing was simply how many times per year I travel to Asia.

One of the earlier sources of confusion has been on the use of this card as a replacement for a visa to participating countries. I took a picture of the bottom of the document that accompanied the card. The last bullet point definitively states that US ABTC holders still require a visa and that the US does not participate in the APEC pre-clearance visa free travel scheme.

Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Thanks. The confusion arises when people look websites mentioning ABTC which are not targeted towards US/Canada members.

US official material (see post# 3 back in 2014) pretty much states what it does and does not.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt, Avis
Visa's

Originally Posted by synthkeys
Just got my APEC card on 2/24 after applying on 2/13 and getting the signature at EWR on 2/14. The CBP agent who processed me said I would get the card in a few months, but I knew it would come sooner. Questions asked at the interview/signing was simply how many times per year I travel to Asia.

One of the earlier sources of confusion has been on the use of this card as a replacement for a visa to participating countries. I took a picture of the bottom of the document that accompanied the card. The last bullet point definitively states that US ABTC holders still require a visa and that the US does not participate in the APEC pre-clearance visa free travel scheme.
The visa confusion exists because other APAC countries have their visa's listed on the back side of the card whereas our card is blank on the back.
That is why you will see some custom agents turn your card over to look for these visas.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 25, 2018 at 9:41 pm Reason: Fix BB code
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Burch1
The visa confusion exists because other APAC countries have their visa's listed on the back side of the card whereas our card is blank on the back.
That is why you will see some custom agents turn your card over to look for these visas.
This is the easiest way to clarify this. ALL cards (regardless of issue country) can only be used in lieu of a visa in countries that are listed on the back of the card.

On US/CA cards, that list will be empty. On non-US/CA cards, that list will include at least some APEC countries (possibly all of them excluding US/CA, but not necessarily).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Applied 2/18 PM. Booked flight to EWR for 2/19 AM. Land at EWR 10 AM. Walked in with no appointment, signed for card at 10:30 AM. GE officer was a little pissed I was there without appointment, but I had a 2 year old in tow and he took mercy on me. We went into the city, had a Katz's sandwich, uber to JFK. Depart 2:50 PM. Pajamas and story time like normal, just another day for me and my boy
Card shows up in mail today with stamp date of 2/22
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
So I just realized something... my ABTC expires in January 2019. There's a possibility that the CBP will no longer participate after the September 2018 renewal. Any renewals before, that, according to what I read on the CBP site, will be honored and valid until the card expires, but they may stop issuing cards after september. My Passport expires in 2020 along with my Global Entry.

So, I guess my question is, does it make sense to renew my passport now, which will renew it through 2028 and renew my ABTC for 5 years as soon as the Passport is renewed, which will give me coverage until 2023?
As I understand it, my ABTC renewal will only be valid until 2020 if I do it first, right? so there's no point in renewing for 5 years until my passport has at least 5 more years of validity.
And what are the chances that CBP will actually drop APEC cards?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
On a related question, how early can you apply to renew your ABTC? Mine expires 2020, but I just received a new 10-year passport (yes, you can have 2 passports).

So if the program may terminate, the better play would be to apply for renewal by Sept 2018.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:14 pm

The renewal button comes up at 30 days before expiration.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
So I just realized something... my ABTC expires in January 2019. There's a possibility that the CBP will no longer participate after the September 2018 renewal. Any renewals before, that, according to what I read on the CBP site, will be honored and valid until the card expires, but they may stop issuing cards after september.
Considering Congress passed a law to make ABTC participation permanent last summer, very low. If the CBP web page you read still lists the Sep 2018 date, it's out of date.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ew=closed#tabs
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Member

ABTC sunset clause removed November 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...ct-2017-a.html
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Oh, well damn... Thanks @RandomNobody and @seawolf. Indeed it does seem that the page I found earlier was out of date. Thanks for those links! Nothing to worry about now
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
So I just realized something... my ABTC expires in January 2019. There's a possibility that the CBP will no longer participate after the September 2018 renewal. Any renewals before, that, according to what I read on the CBP site, will be honored and valid until the card expires, but they may stop issuing cards after september. My Passport expires in 2020 along with my Global Entry.

So, I guess my question is, does it make sense to renew my passport now, which will renew it through 2028 and renew my ABTC for 5 years as soon as the Passport is renewed, which will give me coverage until 2023?
As I understand it, my ABTC renewal will only be valid until 2020 if I do it first, right? so there's no point in renewing for 5 years until my passport has at least 5 more years of validity.
Just FYI, a tiny detail: APEC cards are good for 3 years, not 5 years.

Edit: looks like renewals may be 5 year after all?

Last edited by paranoiatx; Mar 3, 2018 at 6:19 pm Reason: new info
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Member

US/CAN ABTC are valid 5 years for those issued since late 2016 after APEC agreed on a 5 years validity in September 2015

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.